Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Member - New 2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2009 at 6:12pm

Serial number: 74505

Engine number: 76123

Casting number: 638632-W3 A-N1-CR-N2

The "1" in the casting number could be an "I", on the block it is a simple verticle line. I chose to put "1", based on the following "N2".

Clock stamp:

Oil Filter:

Bottom sticker on filter housing:

Upper sticker on filter housing:

Sticker on filter housing cap:

I can clearly see "FRAM" in the bottom sticker. I can just make out "FRAM" on the upper sticker. I can't make out much from the sticker on the cap. It looks like someone has tried to clean it of before, possibly ruining whatever was there. I might try to clean it off with a soft bristle brush at some point. But anything more than that would destroy it for sure.

I know you asked for more numbers and markings (aft of oil pump & behind oil filter). I will get those later. It's 25* here, and I decided to come in and warm up a bit.  Smile

Currently Jeepless
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2009 at 7:16pm
Thanks opus!
Quote Casting number: 638632-W3 A-N1-CR-N2

The "1" in the casting number could be an "I"
Yes it is: "Ni-Cr" = Nickle-Chromium steel block.  Still don't know for sure what the "N2" means though.

The decals, as usual, are too degraded to make out, but I had to ask.  That search still continues.

Quote I know you asked for more numbers and markings (aft of oil pump & behind oil filter).
Don't worry about those for now.  You've already given me what I need to know, except 1 thing: the timing cover.  Check the photos here:
Timing Covers
Does yours have the rivet, or not?  There's no rush, stay warm Big smile

Sean
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2009 at 8:57pm
It seems that Wilson couldn't decide if that character was a '1' or an 'I'. On the top block the character isn't a '1' since it doesn't look like the '10'. On the bottom block it is a '1' because it is the same as '12'.

Opus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2009 at 11:30pm

The only mark on the boss behind the oil filter looks like a circle with a "U" in it. The "U" is sideways, with the open top towards the front.

The only casting mark I can find aft of the oil pump is a "4".

Don't give up on the filter stickers yet. The two on the side are probably beyond reading. But, the one on top is in better shape than my picture indicates. The sticker appears to be mostly complete, but with a lot of oil and grime on it. The challenge will be to remove the oil and grime without damaging the sticker. If I can do that, I think I will be able to read a lot of what is on there. Any suggestions? I am leary of using any cleaners; I've seen Windex take the print off of a vinyl sticker. So, at this point I will only use water and soft cloths.

I'll look at the timing cover either this evening, or tomorrow sometime.

Currently Jeepless
Opus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2009 at 11:38pm
I hadn't looked at your link about the timing cover identification information until after I posted that last reply. Once I knew what I was looking for, it was an easy thing. So, I just went out and looked at mine. Mine does NOT have the rivet. So, my motor has the gear driven cam, NOT the chain driven cam.
Currently Jeepless
Opus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2009 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by Bob W Bob W wrote:

It seems that Wilson couldn't decide if that character was a '1' or an 'I'. On the top block the character isn't a '1' since it doesn't look like the '10'. On the bottom block it is a '1' because it is the same as '12'.

That's not really surprising since prior to the computer, using a typewriter or type setting machine, it was common to substitute the upper case "I" or lower case "l" (that's "L") for the numeral "1". But, it sure does lead to some uncertainty sometimes.  Smile

Currently Jeepless
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2009 at 2:27pm
Great info Opus!  That's all I need to know, thank you!

Don't know what to clean decals with, I've never had to do it!

Sean
westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2009 at 6:42pm
Opus

The Westfork is from a small river in Northern Iowa where We have a small farm.

How is your rearview mirror attatched to your windshield? Also since your 2A had a governer at one time you might have the notched hand throttle. If so those are relativley rare. I can't tell by your photo as I'd have to see behind the knob where it is mounted on the dash. Anyway really like your 2A it is a great find.

WFB
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
'55 Oliver Super 55 Ollybelle
Opus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2009 at 8:24pm
WFB - There's a small town called West Fork near Devil's Den.

The hand throttle on my 2A is not notched. I don't know whether it is orginal, or not. But, the throttle knob and the choke knob match.

Currently Jeepless
Opus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2009 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by westforkboyd westforkboyd wrote:

Opus 
 How is your rearview mirror attatched to your windshield? 

Sorry, I forgot to address this question. Although, I don't think the mirror is original. I know the side mirror isn't. I will look at the mount later today and let you know.

Currently Jeepless
Coldwater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coldwater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2018 at 7:52pm
Opus, did you ever get the two pieces of that crank handle to separate? If so, would be great if you'd post a few pics of the two pieces showing the ends that connect together.
Coldwater
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123