Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New owner in Oregon--engine # question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dahdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New owner in Oregon--engine # question
    Posted: 06 June 2022 at 1:11pm
Hi all-
First, thanks for letting me join. I've been lurking and coming here for info for a while even though I didn't have a CJ. Until now that is. I've spent the past 3 years working on a 1959 wagon so much of my online time is spent over at OWF. 

After watching for most of the past 3 years, I finally found the ideal project for me. It's a 46 CJ-2A and was in the same family since 1956. The gentleman who had it fro 1956 to 2010 (when he passed) was Harry McNutt, and according to his son who sold it to me, this was Harry's baby. His son has a stable of Corvettes going back to 1963 and realized he would never have time to give his dad's Willys it's due, so he put t in my safe keeping. I'm over the moon.

This is the CJ in 1956 when Harry worked at the White Sands Proving Ground in NM.

This was last week when I picked it up at Harry's son's place. That's me on the left, his daughter on the right. 

It appears to have a factory replacement L-134, but the engine serial number has ne stumped. The casting is 908756, which I've read was a replacement engine made from 1954 to at least the late 60s. The same source said that most would have 4LRxxxxx or 3Axxxxxx type serial numbers. My engine serial number is 1MB43075. I've been through the CJ-2A database and there are only 10 908756 castings, and only one has a "1MBxxxxxx" number. 

Was my engine built as a MB replacement? Are there any differences between it and a replacement built specifically for a CJ-2A?  Any way to pin down the date better? 

Thanks!

Edited by Dahdo - 06 June 2022 at 1:13pm
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2022 at 3:19pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2022 at 7:49pm
Welcome Dahdo,

Congrats on your purchase, it looks to be a treasure. I can't offer any insight about your engine; if it's a runner, count yourself lucky.

Up until 2015 I lived in Beavercreek- on Leland Rd.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2022 at 7:00pm
Welcome!    Yes, that looks like a fantastic find.

I used to live in Beavercreek too!   We moved to Port Orford from there.

That is, Beavercreek Ohio anyway - a Dayton suburb.    Their high school used OSU logos for their sports teams.... the Battling Beavers ... always a bit awkward for the women's sports teams
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Dahdo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dahdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2022 at 8:35pm
I need to update my profile, we moved from Beavercreek back to West Linn last August. 

Got a new battery today--will see if she'll fire this weekend after cleaning fuel system. WO rebuild kit is on the way too. 

Dahdo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dahdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2022 at 8:36pm
Thanks, the more I get into this CJ the luckier I feel about finding it. 
Dahdo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dahdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2022 at 8:45pm
The plot thickens.

I looked back at the 1956 title and the VIN used was also the engine number, and you guessed it, it is not the same engine that is in it now. 

The engine in 1956 was a "4LRxxxxxxx" number, which if I understand correctly, was a factory replacement engine number. Which would mean the engine in it now is the third engine. 

This CJ DID start it's life on a government facility, the White Sands Proving Ground, so maybe there were just a lot of surplus engines floating around. Who knows. 

What I do know is that my VIN inspection with Oregon DMV may not going to go well. Has anyone run into this situation? Are DMV folks lenient on 75 year old vehicles?

Dave
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2022 at 8:52pm
Is the VIN tag still on the firewall?
 My experience with the Oregon DMV was amazing, I was set for a battle & breezed right thru. 
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2022 at 9:32pm
I had no trouble with OR DMV either.   Very supportive folks.

A shoutout for rjfp.com for parts ... Ron sells good stuff and stands behind what he sells, and he's just south of us.   My experience anyway.   I spent a month following his dad Roy in a jeep convoy once.   Father and son are completely different people!   both great guys.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2022 at 10:04pm
Both of my jeeps have assigned VINs from OSP. One was already like that upon purchase and I had the seller fix an inaccurate VIN as contingent of the deal for the other one. For this one they used the engine #
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Dahdo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dahdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2022 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by dasvis dasvis wrote:

Is the VIN tag still on the firewall?
 My experience with the Oregon DMV was amazing, I was set for a battle & breezed right thru. 
Yes, VIN tag is in place and matches frame number. I'm glad to hear you had a good experience. I've got an appointment in a week and I want to walk away with a new title.

Dahdo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dahdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2022 at 10:12pm
Love hearing these positive experiences. I've had to wait weeks for an appointment so I want to get it right the first time. 

I'll check out Ron's. site, thx for the tip!

Dave
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2022 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by Dahdo Dahdo wrote:

Love hearing these positive experiences. I've had to wait weeks for an appointment so I want to get it right the first time. 

Dave

Good luck. The young girl behind the counter asked what the make was, of course I said Willys-Overland.
 I got a blank stare..... then she asked how many doors, I replied -- none. Another stare...
   The guy who came outside to verify VIN on the title was cool, though my old out of state (Idaho) title matched the VIN tag #. 

1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2022 at 11:18pm
My impression is that for these old jeeps, they just want to see some permanent number somewhere on the vehicle that matches the title number.   Make and year seemed of less importance to the DMV guys I worked with.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2022 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Dahdo Dahdo wrote:

Dave

whoops: Ron Fitzpatrick jeep parts .... rfjp.com.    I swapped some letters the first time.     He doesn't pay me for this!   He did give me a hat.   Walcks has treated me well too, but they're over in PA.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
Dahdo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dahdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2022 at 11:26pm
And there might be my problem, because there is no number on the jeep that matches any number on the title. What I can prove is that the name on the title, is the name of the father of the guy I bought it from. And I have a bill of sale from him and a affidavit of inheritance saying that he legally inherited it from his father. Hopefully that will be enough, but I think I'm going to try to get someone on the phone before I trailer the thing down to DMV to get the VIN check
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2022 at 11:30pm
Ach.   I'd probably try to reproduce one somewhere first.

Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2022 at 11:55pm
Take the title to DMV have it transfered into your name (no worry about registration yet) then have Robert at dataplates4u.com make you up a set of plates that match the title and be happy then go down and register it.

In Oregon unless you title is from out of state the DMV never has to see the vehicle. I did my Willys 2A that way when I got it from Dad there were no tags and the engine had been changed. I had it put in my name in 2002  some where alone the way I had Robert make tags that matched the title and put them on. And then in 2020 when it was almost ready to return to the road I went down and got plates and registered it. Jeep have never been within 3 miles of a DMV.

I live in Silverton Oregon and used Stayton DMV
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>