Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Project 43 GPW "Duke's Caboose"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weeks auto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Project 43 GPW "Duke's Caboose"
    Posted: 17 Sep. 2018 at 12:19am
Hi everyone,
I have been lurking around here for years off and on when I am looking for a new project idea or if I need some education about willys repair jobs for different customer jeeps.  willys54wagon here on the forum  was my neighbor for 14 years, and he got me into willys vehicles since I was working on his jeeps at my shop and in my garage off and on for many years.

Ten years ago my wife bought our first jeep which was a 51 M38 with an arctic top, it was a mutt with all M38 pieces except for the tub.  I got it running stopping and driving but after we let it sit for a while my wife decided to sell it to pay off some of her student loans.  So for the next 6 years or so I have just been working on steve's jeeps and dreaming about having one again.  This spring I did some work on willys54wagon's CJ in preparation for the Blackhills run (that we decided not to go on because of the rain) and he let me keep it at my acreage for a few months and drive it.  Well that made me really want one so the hunt was on. I had been trying to buy a GPW/MB that I had seen a year ago from and lady that I purchased a SJ410 Suzuki from and she didn't know if she wanted to sell it, but I told her to keep my number in case she does.  Well I got a call a few month ago and she decided to sell it to me for a very reasonable price.

It is a 1943 Ford GPW that was parked in 1974 and had not been moved or ran since.  The inside was full of junk and some treasures.  It is complete except for the wheels and gas tank.  She said she may have a title somewhere (fingers crossed)  The engine is stuck but I am able to shift through the gears in the trans and t-case.  It rolls and the brakes were not stuck.  I was able to unearth it from the ground with the 8k winch on my trailer and drag it on.   I am not sure what the top is and it has a Braden LU4-R  PTO winch hacked onto it.   There are lots of bullet holes and some rust in the floor and on the driverside of the tub, but for the most part it is in decent shape.  The cab has some old lettering that says "Duke's Caboose"  so that is its name now.   It has Dualmatic Hubs and addon heater inside.  The gas tank is not original and is in the back with the filler cut through the quarter panel.

As for the goals of this project I plan on tying to get the engine unstuck and see if I can get it running, stopping and driving.  I usually modify every vehicle I build but I am trying to control myself and keep this one stock with 31" tires.  But, if I find the drivetrain is junk then I am thinking I will install a mercruiser 120 GM2.5 hooked to a sm465 and dana 18.  Or possibly a kubota 2203. I want to keep it offset in the rear. low slung suspension and 33" tires.  OR I will get fed up with it sitting around and sell it.  I hope the last on doesn't happen.

Here's the pics of it from yesterday when I picked it up along with some other treasure that I found.

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2018 at 12:46am
I have certainly seen worse. Some of the toys you found? An old Makita beam saw?
uncamonkey
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2018 at 12:50am
That is a nice looking and very complete Jeep. Good luck with the project.
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
weeks auto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weeks auto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2018 at 12:59am
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

I have certainly seen worse. Some of the toys you found? An old Makita beam saw?
I've wanted a makita beam saw but did not want to pay $500 for one, and this one runs good. The seller threw in all the extras with the jeep since they were in a falling down shed that they were going to scrap out.  The little Homelite XL101 Runs and is in great shape.  And the Murray Trail Trac toy will be fun for my daughter in a few years.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2018 at 1:27am
I ran a beam saw a few times and I sold my chain saw to a neighbor as he had it more often than I did. I still have toys.
uncamonkey
mrbill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2018 at 1:33am
Very nice find.  Something else to consider... if it's a "matching numbers" (frame number, engine, dash plates) you might be able to flip it and have more cash for a CJ.  Lots of us military restorers that would love to find an MB or GPW like that one!  Good luck!

Bill
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2018 at 2:34am
That's a big winch on that little jeep!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2018 at 2:57am
The GPW looks to be very complete, particularly in the engine compartment. Body is actually pretty nice, it appears. And yes, it is way "overwinched" for its size. That Braden would be more at home on a Dodge Weapons Carrier than a jeep.

CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2018 at 3:02am
The top looks to have been made for a 2A, not an MB/GPW.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2018 at 3:05am
really awesome!! Congrats! 
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2018 at 3:14am
Nice find,look to have very little rust and a pretty complete Jeep.Thumbs Up
Welcome aboard and have fun with it.

Edited by Gil - 09 Dec. 2018 at 1:13am
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weeks auto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2018 at 11:58pm
Im having a hard time figuring out what to do with this gpw.  Part of me says get it going and just upgrade things as they break, and the other part of me says sell it to a restorer and build a mutt out of crappy parts I can scrounge.  Just unsure since all the reading I do says every part of this jeep minus the body is lighter duty than a 2a 3a or m38.  And it's probably too light duty for what I want to do with it.   My final option that I would feel real bad about is to part it out since it has a ton of original F script parts on it.  decisions decisions
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2018 at 12:06am
If you did sell it to a restorer you could probably use the money to buy a nicer CJ2A or other Willys vehicle. If it were me I would get it running and drive around and see what I thought. Maybe you will really enjoy it. Even if the plan is to sell it I would get it running because a running Jeep is worth more than a non running one. 
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weeks auto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2018 at 12:43am
Originally posted by TateC TateC wrote:

If you did sell it to a restorer you could probably use the money to buy a nicer CJ2A or other Willys vehicle. If it were me I would get it running and drive around and see what I thought. Maybe you will really enjoy it. Even if the plan is to sell it I would get it running because a running Jeep is worth more than a non running one. 

That is probably the smartest plan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2018 at 12:57am
You do have some weak parts like the rear axle and the transmission. It is up to you to figure it out. My old MB basically ran CJ2A parts with a V6 and OD. My 2nd most favorite Jeep I ever owned.
uncamonkey
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2018 at 1:29pm
Love the finish on your hot rod....clear coat it or throw some linseed oil on it and get it to run and drive...mother natures makes the best finishes ever...

MikeC

Edited by mikec4193 - 21 Sep. 2018 at 1:31pm
I am the squirrel....
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2018 at 2:56pm
Love 'em or leave 'em, best part about hard tops is that every drop of water it ever shed didn't make it down the gear shift Thumbs Up

If it's not what you want move it on as is after getting it running, if that's not a huge undertaking.  Please don't part it out.  Once the pieces are in the wind they'll never be that jeep again...  0.02

Welcome!
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
alaskanrocket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaskanrocket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2018 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Love 'em or leave 'em, best part about hard tops is that every drop of water it ever shed didn't make it down the gear shift Thumbs Up

Right, Only every third drop.LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>