Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New project - '46 CJ-2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New project - '46 CJ-2A
    Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 3:03pm
Hey all, here's a few pictures of my latest acquisition.  1946 CJ-2A located north of Regina, Sask about 25 minutes from my house.  Wouldn't have known she was there if a good buddy hadn't spotted her amidst the wrecks.

A little backstory - I've been looking for one of these Jeeps for a few years now.  I made out good on my taxes this year and have enough money to throw up a garage package in my backyard, as the missus is a little tired of my lunatic projects encroaching on our garage space!  I was still drafting the plans for the building permits (hoping to break ground in a month or two) when I discovered the jeep's whereabouts.

I drove up the day after Marco told me about it.  As a matter of incredible good luck, the scrapyard guys were digging around in the area and the owner figured they'd have clear access within a day.  Turns out the guy had two.  I looked them both over and chose the "blue" one...  Fellow offered me a deal on both but I'm pretty sure the missus would only tolerate one of these in the backyard...  

DAY 2.  The scrapyard folks were kind enough to drop her off at my house free of charge.  She appears to be locked in gear.  After blocking the clutch pedal with a chunk of 2x4 I was able to block and tackle it into the back yard where she'll sit under tarp until I can get my garage up.  

Remarkable how the old rotten tires held air (at least long enough for me to get her in the backyard - still inflated three days later Confused)

More to follow... "Crake"

"Crake"
Crake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 3:04pm
"Crake"
Crake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 3:06pm
"Crake"
Crake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 3:13pm
"Crake"
KMSFNP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMSFNP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 11:47pm
I see it has three dash data plates, what's your serial number? 
folowme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote folowme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2015 at 5:02am
Congrats on your new project! What do you plan to do first?
Crake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2015 at 3:52pm
Haha  build a shop first!  Hoping to get building in a month or two.  I've promised myself (and the missus) not to get started until my shop is built. 

Once she's inside I think I'll start by pulling the engine.  See how much I'm up against. 
"Crake"
mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2015 at 5:21pm
 You need to buy the second one before it is sold to someone else.  Strip the parts you need and sell remaining parts to help fund the work on the first one.
Park the second one directly inline with the first one, cover both with a big tarp and convince the wife that is a rare super extended 2A.

Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

Oldwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2015 at 7:17pm
Yeah,you better listen to Bruce,just when you think you have a deal,BAM,the deal will go sour on ya,no matter how honest you think someone is.
Crake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2015 at 5:56am
Serial #42179. 
"Crake"
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2015 at 6:16am
It seems a lot of these Willys are rebuilt from more then one, I know mine was! ( Parts from 6 or 7)  So you NEED that other one LOL

For the research and data page --> http://cj-2a.com/parts_list/CJ2A_data.php
Crake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2015 at 3:41am
As much as I'd need that second CJ - I need a wife more... haha.  The other CJ was in very rough shape.  The one I scored was largely complete.

I cleaned out the tub today, removed the seats and vacuumed up a lot a lot of ancient sediment.  I could see the old girl getting lighter as I cleaned out all the rust...

Couldn't move the gearshift so once she was largely cleaned out I cracked open the T-90 and had a peek inside - no wonder, the gearbox was half-full of water and the gearshift was welded in place with rust.  Yuck.  Applied fluidfilm liberally and covered her up for the night...

"Crake"
Crake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2015 at 9:44pm
Project Electrolysis

I cobbled together an electrolysis tub in my spare time for the rusty bits while I wait for my building permit. 12vt battery charger with some sodium carbonate for a catalyst.  Not much I could do until the shop's built so I chose to work on the shift tower & internals.  Into the bath it went...

24 hrs later the internals were freed up enough I could disassemble everything and give it a good cleaning.  

There's a bit of rust pitting on the shafts and spring but nothing too critical.  After a good greasing and reassembly the gear shift forks move smoothly.  I don't think anything will need to be replaced.  Gave the tower, gear shift and T90 cover plate a scrub and nice coat of primer.  Gonna sew up a leather boot for the shift lever tonight.  

"Crake"
Crake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2015 at 4:25am
More progress today - stripped a bunch of old wiring out of the engine compartment and tub which was atrociously rotten.  Still oil in the engine block and filter...

Saw this modification in another forum post - looks like a homemade block heater insert...

Pulled all the plugs and gave each cylinder a generous blast of Fluid Film before sealing them back up again.

Took the windshield off and called it a day...

"Crake"
Crake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2016 at 9:27pm
   Yikes.  Been quite a few months since an update.  Lots to add since I was cutting wires.
Over the summer I built a 12x24 shop on top of my useless garden space.  Shortly after siding, my brothers and I dragged the Willys into her new home...

I decided to begin with the truly satisfying, extraordinarily easy and genuinely character-building experience of removing the steering wheel so I could someday get the tub off.  Next I turned to removing body panels, drained the coolant (clean and green), pulled the radiator, and disassembled much of the engine exterior components.  The engine was seized up good and proper - pulled the head and found a lot of rust in the cylinders.  #4 was clearly not budging but the other three had a microscopic wiggle to them.  After soaking #4 a few weeks in ATF/acetone, still no go.  Tried the burning ATF/gas trick.  No good.  Pulled the oil pan and everything looked clean as a whistle from below... Then I made a point of cranking the crankshaft nut so hard I may never get it off again. 

At last, I resorted to the block o'wood/BFH treatment.  #4 pounded clear, a quick cylinder hone and the motor would turn over easy.  Phew!

Getting the timing cover back on was interesting, considering the crank nut was now wrenched on extremely tight and I couldn't loosen it without cranking the whole engine.  Again, the world wide web came in extremely handy.  Kudos to a good old mechanic gent who suggested feeding a length of rope into any cylinder through the spark plug hole, then cranking the engine until it "seized".  Got the nut off easily and put'er back together with ease. 

All but one head stud would come out.  Two manifold studs broke off despite my best efforts to turn them out gently.  Time to accept defeat and take it to the engine shop.

Took the tub off with a few ratchet straps suspended from the ceiling.  A one-man job fueled by a few summer-time beers - was a lot more fun than I thought it'd be...

Once the tub was off I got the frame outside and washed off the centuries of dust and grime.  A few low-cost projects that will keep me busy until the engine's assessed - the brake master cylinder (and no doubt the brakes themselves) are going to need a complete refurbish/replacement.  The frame is in real good shape - no cracks or bends anywhere.  Tie rods are bent to hell so I figure I'll at least bend them straight and replace them down the road.  I plan to spend $0 on parts until I know how bad the engine rebuild will be. 

Eventually got the motor lifted out and onto a roller.  Engine shop dude wants it as complete as possible so I spent awhile getting everything back on.  Ran the fuel pump through an ultrasonic cleaner and it still works great.   

They helped.  Sort of.

So I puttered for a few months on various projects while I steeled myself for the inevitable engine rebuild.  Got the tie rods half-assed straightened, cut off the old bent up rusty bumper and welded on a nice new chunk of channel iron donated from a good old buddy. 

Old bumper/new bumper/straight(ish) tie rods

Next I disassembled the rear brakes - that's a story in itself.  I was eventually able to pop both drums with a length of chain bolted to the lugs and a 8-ton bottle jack on the axle - sounded like a gunshot when they released.  Disassembled filthy disgusting rotten brake internals - the drums are in real good shape so into the de-ruster then went. 
Been wire-brushing off rust and painting backwards down the frame as I go. 

Finally on New Year's Eve I worked up the ambition to rent a hoist and plop the old motor in the pickup truck box for a trip to Continental Engine Rebuilders.  Oh yes.  I also bought a truck this fall.  Busy year. 

** ENGINE UPDATE **

Got a call from Continental today to go over the Go Devil.  The good news - no cracks!  Bore was worn .011" and will have to be bored to .040".  The crankshaft and camshaft were in excellent shape.  The head will need to be resurfaced.  The guys did a fantastic job of extracting the studs.  Main caps were a bit loose and they'll have to do an align bore.  They also have a fine fellow who'll recondition the carb (which is serviceable). Bad news?  All repairs in, parts & supplies, labour included, will be in the neighborhood of $5K.  Stern Smile

- Crake

Edited by Crake - 15 Jan. 2016 at 12:51am
"Crake"
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2016 at 9:58pm
5k for an engine rebuild with no cracks in the block?Confused  I would think you could get a good solid running engine for a lot less than that.

Send your carburetor to Scoutpilot.  He can rebuild it for you.
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2016 at 10:08pm
Looks great. We are in the same boat as I just started my rebuild as of this month. I am just outside Vancouver, but get through Regina every so often for work. If the timing works out can I drop by for a look?

Thanks

Jon
15 Field RCA
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2016 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Ryan_289 Ryan_289 wrote:

5k for an engine rebuild with no cracks in the block?Confused  I would think you could get a good solid running engine for a lot less than that....

Pretty sure that's 5k can.... maybe 3500 us?
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>