Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New recovery point.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New recovery point.
    Posted: 23 May 2019 at 3:16pm
After years of bone jarring drops bashing the draw bar when I'm coming of of rock steps, I've decided to pull the draw bar off, at least for now, in hopes of less crunching going down those ledges.

With the draw bar gone, i needed a different recovery point on the rear. Brennan Metcalf made this awesome little bracket that bolts in the middle where a pintle hook might go.

I've got one of Brennan's soft shackles that fits right in there nicely.

Thanks Brennan! I love it! Now to get out there and get some red dirt on it.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 3:22pm
That will come in real handy when Blueberry needs a tug
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 3:23pm
Very nice.

I saw one of those soft shackles in use this past weekend at Willys reunion off-roading.    It worked very well.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

I saw one of those soft shackles in use this past weekend at Willys reunion off-roading.    It worked very well.

Soft shackles are super cool. Just a little piece of rope, at least that's how they look and store. No rattling or clinking and take up very little space. But they are plenty strong for anything you might need them for on the trail. 

From Brennan's web page  "ultimate breaking strength in excess of 40k pounds with a 3:1 safe Working Load Limit of over 6 tons."
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 3:41pm
Yup. Don't need a pliers to undo your frozen shackle. Just slip a soft shackle through your steel shackle. They are also handy to put around the axle to secure your jeep to a trailer.

Brennan sells them for 25 bucks. That's about half price

Here's one in action with a snatch ring and dyneema winch cable:

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 5:12pm
ya know Stan,  some people may have a problem with the two different sized washers, but I'm just fine with that!   Big smile     Jeff's right though,  that should give Blueberry a little more confidence to follow you!
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by ricco ricco wrote:

ya know Stan,  some people may have a problem with the two different sized washers, but I'm just fine with that!   Big smile     Jeff's right though,  that should give Blueberry a little more confidence to follow you!

I guess one must be more cautious when posting close up photos, if one cares what others think. Smile
My wife is a bit OCD, but luckily it doesn't make it'sway to the garage. Now that I know that kind of stuff bugs some people, I'll probably do more of it. Evil Smile

Backstory: On my Facebook post regarding this particular new feature on Grampa's Jeep there were some comments about the one washer being a bit different than the others. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 4:35am
That's a nice, simple solution. I like it. Looks too new and fresh for the jeep though but, it will match before long I suppose. I may use that design at some point. Thanks for sharing.
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 7:49pm
Thanks Stan!

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 12:00am
Looks like a well made recovery point!  I will enjoy following Grampa’s Jeep even more now that I have something shiny to look atThumbs Up Maybe put a clearcoat on the roll bar to match the gloss on the recovery point and then you would really have some bling Cool
snave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 1:52am
I wonder if I could put one on both ends of Rojo? 
Sometimes he needs one (or two). 
Fuzz
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 7:16pm
I have a few idea for the front end, but the factory frame rails are honestly kinda flimsy when you get pulling on them. Drop me a PM if you are interested or check out the website for soft shackle stuff. www.Brennans-Garage.com

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 1:00pm
I got a couple soft shackles from www.Brennans-Garage.com.

Here is a pic of them next to the semi equivelent Gator Jaw soft shackle. The Gator Jaw is 7/16" HPME and rated @ 32k lbs. It is also 50 bucks. Brennan’s are $25 and they have a full sleeve that not only protects them from sharp edges but also helps protect against UV.

I told my kids to get these for me for Christmas. An inexpensive gift that I will use. ... unlike a tie or wall hanging.

Edited by jpet - 30 May 2019 at 1:26pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2019 at 10:26pm
Just for the record - I have video evidence of Stan with bracket and soft shackle in combat on Porcupine Ridge at Moab, hoisting a wayward G503.

Problem is that actually, my wife has said evidence on her phone.  She unfortunately is now in Ohio and I am in Oregon.  Pony Express delivers weekly so I won't have to wait much longer for the video, so I can post it.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
 Post Reply Post Reply