Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Spicer Axle Shaft Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Spicer Axle Shaft Questions
    Posted: 01 Dec. 2022 at 5:29pm
I finally got the new axle shaft for the front passenger side and have a few questions:
  • Do I actually cut out the rubber seals as metalshaper suggests before installation?
  • Just want to confirm if Super S  Cotton Picker Spindle Grease 00 is ok for the lubrication. I have read that JD corn head grease works and this grease also works. Just want to confirm.
  • If there is a spindle bushing on the inward side of the knuckle, does it have to be removed? My understanding is Spicer just needs the outer spindle bushing. 
  • Anything else I should be aware of? I am replacing the bearing seal for the wheel hub also. 
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2022 at 6:13pm
  I understand that Metalshaper and others say to remove the seals so that the grease in the knuckles can get into the joint and lubricate it. 
  My thought: Why not leave the seals intact so they can do their job and keep the original lube in the joint. Many driveshaft u-joints have no provision for lubing and last the life of a vehicle with only the lube that’s in them when new, and the axle shafts of our jeeps revolve at less than 1/5 the speed of the driveshaft. Modern open-knuckle axles run similar (if not the same) u-joints, sealed, out in the open, not bathed in grease of any kind.
  I recently installed Spicer axles in my CJ3B, and I did not remove the seals. I also did not fill the knuckles with grease. I guess time will tell if I am right or wrong. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2022 at 6:21pm
The issue I see with not filling the ball housing with grease is, what lubes the king pin bearings?
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2022 at 6:43pm
You pack them like you would a wheel bearing.
Think of how many revouloutions a wheel bearing makes.
Think of how many half turns a king pin bearing makes.
My 0.2 cents.
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2022 at 6:53pm
I also pack my king pin bearings. I like the Mobil One grease but any moly or graphite wheel bearing grease is also good.
According to Willys the Spicer front joints should be lubed with 140 wt gear lube and not grease like the other joint types require.
FWIW I also like Rzeppa joints and simply pack those full with Mobil One. It will be many thousands of miles between needing service. Typically whenever I service the wheel bearings.

Edited by oldtime - 01 Dec. 2022 at 6:56pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2022 at 5:29am
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

I also pack my king pin bearings. I like the Mobil One grease but any moly or graphite wheel bearing grease is also good.
According to Willys the Spicer front joints should be lubed with 140 wt gear lube and not grease like the other joint types require.
FWIW I also like Rzeppa joints and simply pack those full with Mobil One. It will be many thousands of miles between needing service. Typically whenever I service the wheel bearings.

I've done it all different ways over time. My latest build with the Rzeppa joints, I've done the same as oldtime. 

For the Spicer joints, I've cut the seals in the past. But I won't again. I agree with just letting the grease in the joint do it's thing. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
oldmansimek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmansimek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2022 at 6:58am
do you have selectable locking hubs?  

side note- Rzeppa joints are by the best, if you can find them.  

Edited by oldmansimek - 02 Dec. 2022 at 6:59am
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2022 at 9:01am
Originally posted by Alpine Alpine wrote:

I finally got the new axle shaft for the front passenger side and have a few questions:
  • Do I actually cut out the rubber seals as metalshaper suggests before installation?
  • Just want to confirm if Super S  Cotton Picker Spindle Grease 00 is ok for the lubrication. I have read that JD corn head grease works and this grease also works. Just want to confirm.
  • If there is a spindle bushing on the inward side of the knuckle, does it have to be removed? My understanding is Spicer just needs the outer spindle bushing. 
  • Anything else I should be aware of? I am replacing the bearing seal for the wheel hub also. 

Some folks cut the seals on the joints to allow the knuckle lube to get into the bearings of the joint. Some use universal joints that are sealed and actually run dry knuckles. Filling the knuckles with corn head grease is about the same as running dry knuckles as it does nothing to help the joints. You evidently watched enough of "Metalshaper's" video to ask about cutting the seals, but you must have missed what he said about using "grease" in the knuckles.

King pin bearings should be packed with good bearing grease as part of routine service. These bearings do not get lubricated by the knuckle lubricant as so many think.

The spindle bushing should be replaced with the later bushing. The axle tube bushing is not needed for the spicer joint axles, so you don't need to worry about it.

BTW - I once read that using pink dish soap in car batteries will make them last forever. That wasn't true either.

Edited by Oldpappy - 02 Dec. 2022 at 9:06am
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Alpine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2022 at 10:35pm
Trying to install the new axle shaft and it will not fit through the knuckle. The fitting to grease the joint hits the knuckle and cant go further. Before I start messing stuff up, what should I do. I know I dont need it but do I replace the u joint?
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2022 at 10:48pm
Remove the fitting? And put a plug in it, or if you are removing the seals leave it opened.
BOULDER 48 2A
Alpine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2022 at 11:53pm
I am probably using the wrong term for whatever it is but it wont come off. I think it is for greasing the needle bearings? So I assume I will need to remove the u joint. 
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2022 at 12:09am
Before you start messing things up, or removing anything, post a picture or two of what you are encountering. 

The grease Zerk on the joint is certainly not the widest part of the joint so I can't imagine why that would be in the way.
Alpine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2022 at 12:14am
Bought from Walcks. The piece attached to the u joint prevents the whole thing from sliding into the knuckle. 

mine actually looks like:

Edited by Alpine - 03 Dec. 2022 at 12:29am
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2022 at 7:10am
Oh, it has the grease fitting in the bearing cap. I have never used one like that.

Not what I was expecting to see for a bearing cap either. 

Mine have "C" clips holding the bearing caps in place, I don't know what holds that one on. 
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2022 at 8:01am
C-clips hold this one too. They are just inside the yokes instead of on the ends of the u-joint. Work the same way. I had to change some like that on a side by side for a friend a few weeks ago. One clip is partially visible in the lower left corner of the picture. 

P.S. I was advised several years ago to replace the U-joints with those that do not have the grease fitting when the first set wears out. I don’t know how often they break or wear out but no grease passages make for stronger u-joints. 

Edited by Jeff J - 03 Dec. 2022 at 8:08am
Alpine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2022 at 8:31am
I'm waiting to hear from Walcks but does anyone know what Spicer u joint I would get to replace this? 
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2022 at 9:10am
Spicer 5-260 X
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2022 at 10:42am
If it just the grease fitting in the way, it will come out.
BOULDER 48 2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>