Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New tires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2019 at 7:51pm
Thank you! Im honestly not sure what the wheels came off of. they are 16x5" they have a Kelsey Hayes stamp on them... i feel like the guy told me they were off a willys truck. If anyone knows what they are off of I would be interested to know. My jeep is a hodgepodge but its mostly 49 cj3a. The tan is growing on me... I loved the old almond color I had on there,  but I was ready for a change. 

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2019 at 8:06pm
Well they have the early pre 1956 style of disk.
Rounded not creased.
Also the area around the lug nut holes is unlike the more common M38 wheels.

They have no 1/8" hole near the bolt circle...so they do not appear to be the typical HD wheels.
I don't recall ever seeing any KH wheels like these measuring 5" wide.
At this point I will guess that they must be early Willys PU wheels intended for 7.00 x 16" tires.

I suggest you measure the metal gauge used. 
The disk and rim should be gauged separate because it can vary from one specific wheel to another.
I recall 3 different gauges that were in common use depending on specific wheel application.
I'll look in my books later on and see if I can get more insight to identify them.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2019 at 8:30pm
I just measured... They appear to be .163 thick but there is paint on there so that is close to 5/32nds... or 9ga. right?  That was measuring from the inside where the opening in the wheel is. 

My spare does not match the rest. It is a 4.5" solid wheel.. 

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2019 at 8:51pm
If I recall correctly the Common Standard 4-1/2" x 16" CJ wheels have 9 gauge for both the rim and disk.
For comparison the typical heavy duty 5" x 16" KH wheels have 6 gauge rims and 6 gauge disks.
Of course the gauge effects the weight of the wheel assembly.
So I'm guessing your will wheels will weigh in at roughly 21 pounds each. 

I'll look see if there is an distinct part number for the early PU wheels.
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2019 at 3:10am
Those wheels look very much like the ones that came on my 1948 Willys pickup. I would guess that that is what they came with originally. Mine were 5" wide as well.

Of course just because they came with my '48 pickup does not mean that they were stock from Willys in 1948. Anything could, and did, happen to these old rigs in 70 some odd years.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2019 at 4:01pm
Disregard my previous post since it's incorrect and it can't be edited.
Hey moderators why can't we edit out mistakes ???

According to my notes the standard KH 4-1/2" x 16" CJ wheel has an 8 gauge (128) disk and 7 gauge (.144) rim and they weigh in at 19 pounds.

The earliest use of the 5" x 16" wheel was approx late 1949 to 1950 on 4WD pickups only (not 2WD).
It's identified as W/O # 643665
It has 6 gauge (.162) both rim / disk and it weighs in at 24 pounds.
By the way these 5" wheels were intended to be used with 7.00 x 16 " tires.

The M38 and M38 A-1 also use this same wheel part number.and it also became a HD option on all CJ's.
The Military and CJ HD wheels have obvious differences to the tan wheels shown here..
So obviously this 16" x 5" KH wheel underwent some changes
It seems apparent to me that the Kelsey Hayes part number was changing over time yet the W/O part number was not.
I've seen evidence of this several other times concerning KH  and Jeep wheel numbers.
KH was definitely using a different numbering system that accounted for small changes not noted by W/O.

So anyway my best guess is you have a set of 4 -1950  W/O 4 WD Pick Up wheels.
According to the books these wheels would not be available on 1948 2WD pickups.
Early (flat grille) 2WD pickups only had the 4-1/2" wide  wheels.

Zero aftermarket parts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2019 at 4:54pm
Cool thanks for doing the research... you learn something new every day! 
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2019 at 11:46pm
The only part number I can find for the M-38 wheel is 801762. It differs from the Heavy Duty truck wheel because the M-38 wheel is 16" x 4.5" and has the safety hump in the bead area.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2019 at 12:39am
O.K. Thanks Bob I don't have any military books.
I may have that part number somewhere but not sure.

Was mainly going on limited exposure to military parts.
I believed that the M38 wheels I had a few years back were 16 x 5".
They were definitely 6 gauge disks .
They were the early design disks, meaning non creased or pre 1956 era.

Regardless of military Seth's wheels are definitely different than all the HD CJ wheels I've ever encountered.

Most all HD wheels have the 1/8" hole drilled into the area of the hub circle.
Oft referred to as a "stress hole"; but I have a different theory on that
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2019 at 8:38pm
Played around with the Jeep on dry pavement today. 

AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2019 at 9:04pm
I'm looking forward to getting mine. I will probably not order them till after the first of the year. You know just in case Santa shows up with a set.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2019 at 10:46pm
That was a great video Seth!  

I have to admit that the NDTs on my jeep look a bit more wobbly at speed.

Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2019 at 2:09am
"Don't have to rototill that part of the dirt."  N'yuk, n'yuk, n'yuk!  LOL
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2020 at 3:48am
Okay Seth. You’ve had these tires for a good while now. I would like to hear your analysis on how they do in comparison to what you had before. I have an opinion on my NDTs compared to my old tires and am curious if you share the same opinion as me. From the videos I’ve seen it looks like you’re really getting you Jeep dialed in. That is always fun to see.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
DMusil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMusil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2020 at 4:43am
Tires look great. What about that spare tire carrier? What brand or did you fab it?
DMusil
outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2020 at 4:47am
The hub center design looks like the wheels on my 46. They are made by Motor Wheel - I think Goodyear.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2020 at 10:27am
Thanks. I made the carrier. It used a dana 25 hub and flange. The hub on the carrier is made by sears. The ones on the Jeep are cutlass. 

Originally posted by DMusil DMusil wrote:

Tires look great. What about that spare tire carrier? What brand or did you fab it?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2020 at 10:35am
Thanks Akoller, the Jeep has been really fun to wheel. It is fun to see little changes make a big difference! As far as the tires go... i am really pleased with them! The off road performance is much better than my old tires. They clean out really well and they flex 10x better than my old coopers. The ply rating is perfectly suited to the weight of the Jeep. I run 8-10 psi off road and 16-18 on road. I’m always amazed at what my Jeep will idle over without any wheel spin! Fast sweeping turns on pavement is the only place I don’t love these tires. They’re not scary or anything but I can feel understeer at times.... that being said I dont drive this thing like a race car on the road and it does just fine. They are smooth and quiet on the road. I cruise around 50 most of the time. The siping does seem to help a little when it’s wet out. Overall I’m extremely pleased. I don’t have plans to change tires anytime soon.  

Originally posted by AKoller AKoller wrote:

Okay Seth. You’ve had these tires for a good while now. I would like to hear your analysis on how they do in comparison to what you had before. I have an opinion on my NDTs compared to my old tires and am curious if you share the same opinion as me. From the videos I’ve seen it looks like you’re really getting you Jeep dialed in. That is always fun to see.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>