Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to club

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2017 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Flint Flint wrote:

Thank you.

I may need to replace more than that. I made it one mile from the PO's house and it started smoking while the oil pressure plummeted. I shut it down and had it towed to my new best friends, the local 4x4 shop.  
I entered this with a full expectation that I would be up for some work. We'll see what's up and who knows what's next.  Baptism by fire. Love it!! Tongue

I'm curious here, what did the oil pressure drop to, and what were you doing (driving/idling) when you noticed the drop in pressure?  These engines don't hold full pressure when they slow down.  When you drop below 1,000 rpm you'll see a drop in pressure as well.  It sounds like the compression is good.  How is the oil pressure behaving in the shop? 

OK, now that I have those questions out of the way, I'd like to add my congratulations on your beautiful Jeep!  That's a nice looker, and should give you many years of adventure on dusty backroads.  I'd like to extend an invite for you to join us for this year's Fall Color Tour near Buena Vista Colorado.  There will be lots of good Jeep folks there, and lots of old Jeeps to compare yours with.  And if you want to learn about how they behave, there's lots of good mechanics, and a few story tellers, who can give you some tips and answers.  

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/colorado-fall-color-tours-2017_topic39319.html

You are about a half day's drive away.  And some of the trails we'll ride will give you a good idea of what your (new/old) Jeep is capable of, with the security of having lots of folks around to help you out if something quits working.  And if not this year, then sometime in the future.

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Flint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2017 at 1:40pm
I was running close to 45 when I got a puff of white smoke and watched the oil pressure drop to 0. I pulled over immediately and the pressure appeared to be bottomed on the guage. I didn't let it idle so I'm not sure. It was towed to the shop from there. The shop has not seen any oil pressure issues so I asked them to run it around a bit to try to reproduce. 

The compression tested ok, strong on three and reasonable on one but I don't have the numbers yet. The shop said the rear axle needs new seals and there are misc leaks but otherwise solid. 

Thank for the invite. It sounds great. Hopefully I can sort out my questions by then. Looking forward to getting dusty. 

48 CJ2A
14 JKR
Flint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2017 at 7:50pm
Update:  Even after passing a compression test I was concerned that the original engine still had a gremlin hidden inside. After a good bit of diagnostics we found that once the Jeep was warmed up and when you ran full rpm's one cylinder would lose compression and blow smoke. 

Now to decide how to handle it. I'd love to order a crated rebuild and swap them out, keeping the original available in case of a full restore but I'm sure you all know that's unrealistic. Can't run down to the local auto parts and order an engine. Much more research lies ahead.
48 CJ2A
14 JKR
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2017 at 8:25pm

Update:  Even after passing a compression test I was concerned that the original engine still had a gremlin hidden inside. After a good bit of diagnostics we found that once the Jeep was warmed up and when you ran full rpm's one cylinder would lose compression and blow smoke. 

Now to decide how to handle it. I'd love to order a crated rebuild and swap them out, keeping the original available in case of a full restore but I'm sure you all know that's unrealistic. Can't run down to the local auto parts and order an engine. Much more research lies ahead.

It reads more like you have a bad valve. Either a bad spring or a stuck up valve guide.

Edited by Unkamonkey - 11 Aug. 2017 at 8:27pm
uncamonkey
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2017 at 10:17pm
With it behaving itself until the engine warms up, I'd be leaning towards a valve that sticks one it's up to temp.

autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2017 at 10:21pm
White smoke sounds to me like a head gasket or something to do with water getting into the combustion chamber.
willys jeep
Flint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2017 at 10:49pm
So maybe a top end rebuild? I'm learning as I go. 
48 CJ2A
14 JKR
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2017 at 8:38am
It kinda does not have a top end...sort of topless
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2017 at 11:36am

Can't run down to the local auto parts and order an engine. Much more research lies ahead.

Well, yes you can if you really want to go this route. Crated rebuilds are available. Just not sure if you mean it's not economically viable, or you didn't know it was available. 
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
Flint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2017 at 3:35pm
Where would I get a replacement crated engine? I've looked a fair bit and not found anything.

48 CJ2A
14 JKR
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2017 at 3:46pm
Best bet would be from a company that specializes in rebuilding engines.  Most of those would be either short or long blocks though.  

Though, since new blocks are being made in France, having someone build one from parts would be possible although probably very expensive.  

JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2017 at 4:07pm

Where would I get a replacement crated engine? I've looked a fair bit and not found anything.

Ron Fitzpatrick seems to be offering them on his website...? 
http://www.vintagejeeps.com/p-1755-l134-engine-complete-overhauled-a6793.aspx

Granted they are MB or GPW which means they will be chain drive, but they should drop right in nevertheless, right? Depends how original you want to stay and how much you want to pay...

1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
Flint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2017 at 4:40pm
That's great. Thank you.

48 CJ2A
14 JKR
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2017 at 5:40pm
I did some poking around with engine remanufacturing companies and most of what I was finding was F-heads.  

tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2017 at 5:43pm
If you contact Ron Fitzpatrick he may have gear drive motors too.  Highly recommend him, by the way.  Prices are good and service is outstanding.  He gets most of my jeep business.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2017 at 5:50pm
There are some minor differences between the engines.  The biggest I think is that the front plate is different - it would have to be swapped with the one on your motor to get the motor mount tabs to line up properly.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
bahntjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bahntjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2017 at 1:57am
Congrats on the Beautiful Jeep. I just purchased one with my Father who has it in SE Wyoming as well. It came from CO and has little rust thanks to the dry CO air. Ours runs well but needs some beautifying. Hopefully Dad will be able to put the time and worn into it until I get back. 

46 CJ2a
Paraex79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paraex79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2017 at 4:24pm
Hey Flint, congrats ,a great looking Jeep
Allan Montile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123