Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new to me 46 cj2a

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abrown0920 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new to me 46 cj2a
    Posted: 08 Nov. 2018 at 12:03am
My FIL got this jeep as a project 15 years ago and never did much with it. It sat in his garage since and a few weeks ago he called and said come get it.  I haven't dug in too much yet. I am working to get it running and just evaluating everything else. Whoever owned it before was proficient with a drill, there are holes everywhere. the floor pan is gone but most of the rest of the body and frame seem decent. I am guessing lots of bondo though.

no rubber anywhere!

there are 70+ holes in the rail and top of the side. why????

Floors are gone.

Mike46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2018 at 12:18am
Best of luck with project. I just purchased a 46 cj2a a month ago and am starting to tear it down for restoration.  Same guy maybe owned this once to because mine has lots of holes all the way around window frame and various places on tub, ha! But my tub is so bad my plan is to replace it. 
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2018 at 12:34am
Originally posted by abrown0920 abrown0920 wrote:

there are 70+ holes in the rail and top of the side. why????

Welcome!   The holes were probably for a soft top, hard top or both. Different tops have snaps or a rail system. This Willys could have gone through numerous tops!   

Or maybe a previous owner just liked to drill holes!

Data--> http://cj-2a.com/parts_list/CJ2A_data.php
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2018 at 12:36am
Originally posted by Mike46 Mike46 wrote:

Best of luck with project. I just purchased a 46 cj2a a month ago and am starting to tear it down for restoration.  Same guy maybe owned this once to because mine has lots of holes all the way around window frame and various places on tub, ha! But my tub is so bad my plan is to replace it. 

Welcome to the page as well.

The holes could have also been where footman loops were.
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2018 at 1:04am
That’s quite the snazzy two tone paint job. Good luck with the project.
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
abrown0920 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abrown0920 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2018 at 1:06am
one of many things about this jeep I cant understand. Why, just why would this ever happen?
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2018 at 1:44pm

one of many things about this jeep I cant understand. Why, just why would this ever happen?

70+ years of different owners adding there little touches Wink
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2018 at 2:14pm
70 years is a lifetime to us... it's several lifetimes for that little jeep.  Some of the stories you'll just never know for sure.  How many stories do you really have of your great grandad?  Moving on, lol.

Congrats on the acquisition, and welcome Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
cjbilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2018 at 2:38pm
Welcome fellow Hoosier. Enjoy the build! Where at in Indiana are you located?
1984 CJ7
1946 CJ2A- Supersonic motor
1948 CJ2A- Ramsey DP-1 shifter,PTO,front Ramsey MX200-R winch, Newgren lift
1955 Sears Trailer
1955 CJ5- PTO/belt drive,farm weight
1954 CJ3B- trencher,front blade
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2018 at 4:29pm
Welcome.

Be glad the previous owners just did not scrap it 50 years ago like most of the other cars that were build back then.  You have a chance because someone or some group of owners along the way did not just scrap it.

We are at best temporary owners of these Jeeps - At worst we are the last owners of these old Jeeps.

So what are your plans for this old Jeep?
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2018 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Welcome.

Be glad the previous owners just did not scrap it 50 years ago like most of the other cars that were build back then.  You have a chance because someone or some group of owners along the way did not just scrap it.

We are at best temporary owners of these Jeeps - At worst we are the last owners of these old Jeeps.

So what are your plans for this old Jeep?

Was actually pondering this a little more Embarrassed... here in MA you used to be able to get "classic" plates at 20 years old, and "antique" plates at 25... so 50 years ago that little buggy was coming up on being an antique LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2018 at 2:27am
Welcome to the page, abrown0920 and Mike46!

Don't weld up all the holes until you know which ones are originals for the footman loops. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2018 at 2:34pm
Hey Abrown

I dont think I have ever seen a purple flat fender before...looks like 1970's style color scheme going on there...

Keep us in the loop as you go along.

MikeC
I am the squirrel....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abrown0920 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2018 at 1:59am
I am outside of lebanon.

I really want to throw a top on it and play this winter. Before I really start into it. I am not sure yet when I will start redoing it. My goal will be to make it a fun to drive vehicle. I am not so concerned with trying to do a period correct resto as I am making it a drivable, good looking jeep.  

After a new batttery,plugs and fuel pump I did fire it up and it runs pretty decent.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abrown0920 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2018 at 2:01am
the color drives me nuts. I love the jeep  ut can not get excited about running around in it when its purple.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2018 at 2:19am

the color drives me nuts. I love the jeep  ut can not get excited about running around in it when its purple.

I had a CJ7 that I bought years ago that was purple. The next day I started rattle can painting it blue. LOL
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2018 at 4:19am
One of the Jeeps in the Salem Jeep Club 1965-1970 when dad was active in the club was purple.

Interesting you have the same kind of "Bent Shift Cane" as I do. Some one I think said its from a Wagon or pickup. I like mine in High school it made more room for my girlfriends long legs when she sat on the little console seat I made for her.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
 Post Reply Post Reply