Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to me CJ3b body welded to frame - advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to me CJ3b body welded to frame - advice
    Posted: 19 Mar. 2023 at 1:26pm
Hello folks

My 1963 CJ3B that I bought 1 month back has quite a bit of body work done by the owner 2 people before me. As I work my way around the jeep it is clear someone started reworking the jeep a long time ago but it was never finished and put on the road since some changes were made.

One item that I am concerned with it that it looks like the tub is welded to the frame - basically it looks like someone recreated the bottom 4” of the tub all the way around- it does not look to bad but there are things that will catch mud/dirt that I will need to address. 

My biggest concern is that there are no body spacers that I can see - like the tub is welded to the frame - I will be taking a closer look today but I am looking to find out just how bad this could be to take it down the road like this?

Would asphalt be fine but uneven ground will be bad? 

Looking for quality advice as to what to expect- I am going to see what it would take to separate it but I think they did more than just delete the mounting areas - they added what looks like all sorts of square tubing to the frame/body connection areas.

Thanks in advance 
Beep Beep!
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2023 at 7:19pm
The tub on my CJ2A was reinforced with 2X1 rectangular tubing which was welded to the frame. After driving it a while the welds all broke, and the tub bounces on the frame when I hit a bump.  The frame will flex and something has to give. 

That is why rubber bushings, or pads are supposed to be used. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
 Post Reply Post Reply