Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > CJ2A Page Member Created Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Tool at Work

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Tool at Work
    Posted: 20 Feb. 2019 at 5:52pm
The guys in the shop at work purchased a new CNC plasma cutter Thumbs Up I sketched up a quick test part in AutoCAD and will transfer to BobCAMLOL The hatched areas will be cut out... The tricky part is keeping the solid part one piece... This will be a first for me and we are still figuring out the machine.... Wish me luck!

- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2019 at 6:05pm
You do realize that you will end up with two separate pieces of steel, or whatever the material is, right?

I am not an artist, so I have no suggestions about how to "fix" this, if it even matters to you.

OH, I forgot the requested, Good Luck!!Smile

Edited by cpt logger - 20 Feb. 2019 at 6:07pm
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2019 at 6:10pm
Thanks!!

I think its all connected? I'm sure it will take me a couple of runs Confused

ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2019 at 9:06pm
Well, first try I would say was a success!! The material was too thin and it was moving around alot, but it worked! It's about 13" x 13" and rusty just like mine LOL Couple little things to adjust and the next one will be better...

Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2019 at 1:02am
Wow,that looks alright from here.

Giles
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2019 at 1:05am

Very Sweet  Thumbs Up

MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2019 at 3:09am
And how much are these going to be?

Nice.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2019 at 11:52am
That is cool - nice job!
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2019 at 1:38pm
Don't we need the negative of that to be able to use it as a spray paint stencil?
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2019 at 1:39pm
Very nice !!  Clap    Looks like the cutter had a mind of its own, and cut the bumper.   That cut does not show in your drawing.

Can you turn the juice down,  to etch some lines without burning thru?    If so,   you could complete some of the lines,   and maybe even etch some lugs in the tires.  LOL

The rusty back side does look better.  Smile
3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2019 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

Very nice !!  Clap    Looks like the cutter had a mind of its own, and cut the bumper.   That cut does not show in your drawing.

Can you turn the juice down,  to etch some lines without burning thru?    If so,   you could complete some of the lines,   and maybe even etch some lugs in the tires.  LOL

The rusty back side does look better.  Smile

X2
Very nice, I like the back side patina best too!
I believe the plasma cutter will only cut thru, I think you would need a laser to etch the surface if I am not mistaken.

Edited by 3-48s - 21 Feb. 2019 at 2:26pm
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2019 at 4:01pm
Thank you guys Tongue Yes, there was that mistake by the bumper.... It was one of the last cuts and the jeep was flopping around on the table. The cutter head snagged the piece and things went a little wacky.. I need to find a little thicker material. (I was thinking an old stop sign might be cool?) 

I could do a negative cut for the stencil, that's a great idea! I'm going to run some more, but I need to do it in my "off" time... I upset some people with the smoke and smell Shocked Ooops, so sorry!

I never really thought of selling them or anything... If you are one of the kind people who have helped me out in the past (and there are many here) I would just give you one. I have been working with CAD systems for a long time, so if anyone ever needs something drawn up or 3D modeled, maybe I can help..
NealzWorld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NealzWorld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2019 at 6:51pm
Man, that is friggin' awesome!   How can I get my hands on one?   I'll take that practice one if you don't want it!!!  

Too cool.  

Edited by NealzWorld - 21 Feb. 2019 at 6:54pm
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2019 at 8:25pm
That is nice!Clap I also like the rusty side.

As far as my earlier post, I sit corrected. I am happy to be wrong on this one!Smile

I am sure you know your company better than all of us do, but be sure to clear the sales/gifts with the powers that be first. No one want you to get in trouble at work over this.
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2019 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

I am sure you know your company better than all of us do, but be sure to clear the sales/gifts with the powers that be first. No one want you to get in trouble at work over this.

I was worried about that too. Thank you for looking out!
GloucesterBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GloucesterBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2019 at 12:40pm
Ill take one of those!  Good for you. Clearing a spot over my work bench, now!
Jerry

'47 CJ2A #96661

ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2019 at 1:50pm
Thank you all for the kind words! I did not expect such positive feedback Big smile I can not commit to anything at this time, but if I do make a run of them, you guys will be the first to know.. Researching and finding material is my first step to determining cost feasibility.

Thanks again,
GG
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2019 at 5:53pm
better make about 20 of them 'cause I want one too!!!

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>