Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Trail build?? Navy Jeep?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2022 at 9:58pm
Awesome Clap
Definitely build a trail jeep!
Comon have you looked through the totes??????
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2022 at 4:41am
I think more of those Navy Dataplates survived than the Jeeps themselves.
I have one too, but I think it came from Hershey.
ace32107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ace32107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2022 at 9:55am
Jeep looks fun , can't wait to see what you do with it

Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2022 at 10:01pm
The weather is finally cooperating and we got the jeep in the shop to start assessing the situation. 

This photo has excessive willys content. 

Those concrete anchors are really paying off now. 

It helps to have a supportive wife! lol.... She always "pushes" me to do my best. 

Its in there! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2022 at 10:16pm
The plan for now is to get the thing running and driving around the yard... If the engine checks out then Ill see if there's any hope for the body... one step at a time. 

Once it was in the shop, I pulled the plugs and turned it over by hand several times. the engine spins freely but It sound like the bellhousing is full of acorns.  Hooked the jump pack up to it and the starter spins but doesn't engage. Pulled the starter and the drive is toast. Luckily there's and old school starter/generator guy about 1 mile from my house. I took the starter to him and he should have it done in no time! In the meantime I'm going to start messing with the fuel system and brakes. 

plugs didn't look bad and even had a little anti-seize on them. 

Starter seems in decent shape. hopefully she has a few more starts in her! 

Edited by Millennium falcon - 05 Apr. 2022 at 10:17pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2022 at 9:56am
Video update… please keep in mind most of my YouTube audience doesn’t have experience working on Willys Jeeps so some of what I’m saying may seem very elementary to y’all. 

ace32107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ace32107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2022 at 10:33am
looks like another fun project!

CJ5
CJ2A
/l ,[____],
l---L -OllllllO-
()_)-()_)-o-)_)
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2022 at 12:39am
Originally posted by Millennium falcon Millennium falcon wrote:

This photo has excessive willys content. 

"Excessive" Willys content is not possible.  "Insufficient" Willys content is possible, though.  Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2022 at 7:01am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Originally posted by Millennium falcon Millennium falcon wrote:

This photo has excessive willy

"Excessive" Willys content is not possible.  "Insufficient" Willys content is possible, though.  Smile

Haha! You make a valid point! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2022 at 6:49pm
Well.... The can of worms Is officially open!  There is an excess of patina under all that galvanized HVAC metal! haha The poor old jeep would have been way better off is they didn't touch it! The skins just trapped mud and water and rusted things much faster. they also skinned the floors up front and left a 1" gap for dirt and moisture... (shaking my head)  Im trying to decide what I want to do from here... I really dont want to buy a new body because Its going to be a trail rig and I like the beat up look.....but im going to have to cut a ton to get to metal I would be able to weld to. I also have the orange/red farm jeep which I thought was really bad but is actually in better shape than this one. So... i need to do some praying! haha! I threw the "cool" tires on it just to make myself feel better about the mess I have gotten myself into! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2022 at 7:03pm
Here' some shots of my other swiss cheese beauty... I know it looks bad but the grey one isn't as solid as it looks. If i removed the seats you could get a good look at the frame! haha!  Im a rust snob so this is very much out of my comfort zone! haha! I just need to pick a path and take it. I would like to have this thing ready in a month for the willys reunion.... so I've got my work cut out for me! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2022 at 7:18pm
I know a lot of you were anxiously waiting to see what's in the bins... Here ya go... Nothing too exciting but definitely some useful items. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2022 at 7:23pm
Also... Shameless plug! haha! no pressure at all...but if anyone likes my youtube channel and wants to rock some Red Eye Garage gear my wife made a website and we're now offering shirts, mugs, shop banners and decals. 

(store link) 

Edited by Millennium falcon - 14 Apr. 2022 at 7:27pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2022 at 10:13am
Video update! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2022 at 10:19am
Well... this wasnt the direction I was planning on going but here we are. I decided to ditch the grey tub... it is for sale. It more than i feel like fixing at this time. Through facebook I found a great deal on a new gpw tub. (im aware I will need to make a few mods for it to work) some of my good friends hooked me up with some other gpw body parts. This will not a military restoration. Just a cj3 frame with some gpw stuff. The frame is blasted and everything will hopefully be going back together this week! 

Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2022 at 10:40am
Nice! 
How come I can never find good jeep stuff deals on marketplace...

Grrrrr.Angry
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
SlaterDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlaterDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2022 at 11:23am
Since you now have a GPW tub you can do a Navy jeep true justice!
Once a Navy man, always a Navy man!
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2022 at 12:06pm
Thanks for sharing your jeep fun!
I appreciate your effort posting here on the 2A page. 
Sweet merch!!
I will definitely be ordering some stuff Big smile
Keep the content coming Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando