Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newb
    Posted: 21 May 2018 at 5:15pm
Finally got my hands on a CJ I've been tryin' to get since 1983. So far it would seem that I've acquired a:
1948 CJ2A, with a 3A windshield, L134 w/ "Supersonic" head.
Serial#:191548
body tag#: 182374

Trying to identify the rear end, a Dana 41 possibly?
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 5:59pm
welcome!
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 6:27pm
Welcome to the forum. Lots of great people on here willing to help when you need it.

48 2A came standard with a Dana 41 (5.38:1 gearing) and that is most likely what you have but that could have been switched out over the years to something else. We can confirm that better if you post a pic of the cover.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 6:32pm
Nice Willys.

The stock axle on the later 2A would be a Dana 41.  The quickest way to tell is the shape of the differential cover.  The 41 is more oval shaped.  The Dana 44 will show up on a 2A at times, because of a prior swap.  The 44 is more octagon shaped.

This isn't a great picture, but this is a 41.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 6:59pm
Craig,

Welcome to the 2A Page.  Post some more pictures.  Could that be a Koenig PTO winch on the front?  Nice!

My 1946 has that same piece of expanded metal on the grill - only mine is installed on the inside of the grill by some previous owner - it actually make a great brush guard for the radiator on a trail Jeep.

Stev
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Craig T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 7:35pm
I don't have a pic of the center section, but I can say that it has the 6 bolt flanged "floating" axles. Were the 41's available both ways, the tapered axle and the flanged?
Craig T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 7:47pm
Unfortunately no on the koenig, its just a hobbed together hand cranked "make do" kinda winch. Has a home made doorless hard top that weighs about 500lbs, but some pretty cool Sears lockout front hubs. I've known the PO all my life, so I know the history going back to when he bought it about 1980. He broke a rear axle in '83 and its been parked ever since. I think there's a good chance the motor is okay, because it's been completely buttoned up all that time. Still had clean oil in the breather, and no water in the oil pan. I can grab hold of the fan and turn the crank pulley, so I know its not seized. Wiring is trash, obviously, but I think Im gonna do the pre-oiling procedure, run the necessary wiring, check the coil and so forth and see if I cant bring it to life.

Craig T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 7:58pm
Craig T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 8:00pm
Craig T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 8:01pm
Craig T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 8:05pm
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 8:12pm
I love this jeep. It is crusty, rusty awesome!
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Craig T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 8:24pm
Thanks Stan, I love it too. I'm a fairly good hand at mechanical things. In the background of the first pic is a '74 CJ-5 that is about 90% done. So I'm confident that I can make it live again. I'd like to make it sound mechanically, and then just embrace and enjoy all the imperfections of a jeep thats nearly 20 years older than me.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 8:40pm
Wouldn't that be a Dana 27 rear axle?  Commonly found on an MB?
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 8:44pm
Assuming you have 5.38:1 gears, (front and rear) it looks like you have a DANA 23-2 axle assembly in the rear. That's for very early CJ2A.

Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Craig T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 8:48pm
Maybe, but I saw an exploded view of the 41 and it showed it both ways, so I'm not sure.
Craig T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 8:49pm
They are 5.38's. thanks for the info.
Craig T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 12:21am
These are pics of the offset center and one hub with flanged axle removed. So is it, 23, 27, 41?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>