Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie from across the pond!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gavc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie from across the pond!!
    Posted: 14 Oct. 2017 at 9:34pm
just like to say hello from Blighty! Have bought a Swiss Military CJ2a. I don’t have much history, but would love to find out more about it. I think it’s quite a rare model being genuine Military CJ2 A I know it’s a ,48 yr and was fitted with an additional drive pulley between the front seats, think it was for a generator or something as was also used to tow Swiss Vampire jets. Also interesting is that the instruction plates on the dash are in French and German. I have a few jobs to do to it and want to source a rear seat. If anyone has any history or can assist me in finding out more please give me a shout. 
Gavc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gavc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2017 at 9:35pm
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2017 at 1:55am
Just chiming in to say welcome!... will be following to see what the braintrust comes back with :)
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2017 at 3:31am
It certainly is unlike anything I have seen here. You might try HMVF over on your side of the pond.
uncamonkey
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2017 at 3:56am
I wonder if all the Swiss 2As were Lefties.  I wonder how many of the 10,000 or so Lefties made it to Switzerland.  I wonder why I forgot to say "Welcome to the page!!"  Big smile

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 15 Oct. 2017 at 4:34am
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2017 at 4:09am
Welcome aboard,nice looking jeep.
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Paraex79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paraex79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2017 at 6:00am
Welcome Gavc, a great looking CJ2A, thanks for posting the pic and I am also looking forward to the reply from the history buffsBig smile
Allan Montile
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2017 at 6:25am
I forgot to say welcome, sorry.
Once in a while I wander over to the HNVF site and I an amazed at what sort of military stuff people are using and rebuilding from any country. I feel that a lot of US military vehicles were left there as they as they are sort of rare here. There are some tales about not wanting to bring back vehicles from the wars because it would disrupt the US auto market so believe what you want to...
Muddle on and keep us posted.
uncamonkey
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2017 at 6:05pm
Welcome to the page!

Data--> http://cj-2a.com/parts_list/CJ2A_data.php
Gavc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gavc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2017 at 9:30pm
Thanks for the warm welcome, will have to find the HMVF site?? I will get the info of the jeep on the data page. I understand the term lefty so I think it is. What’s also rare are the rear lights they are made by a Swiss company called Scintilla and the lights are also used on pre war Bugatti’s. It also has semaphore’s which us Limies call signal indicators which raise on an illuminated arm when turned on. Also the clutch rod is different to civilian as it’s on a 2 bearing flat rod which is a lot more effective, though a possible mod over the last 70 yrs.  If any of the historians can shed some light in these Swiss jeeps it would be great, wonder how many are still in existence. We see slot of MB and Ford wartime jeeps over here but not a lot of anything later or different. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2017 at 1:42am
It has MB-type top bows.  Was that "normal" for a CJ-2A sold as a military Jeep?
Gavc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gavc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2017 at 10:38pm
you will have to explain what are top bows?

Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2017 at 12:20am
Top Bows are the metal bows for supporting a soft top.  A stock CJ2A bow set will come apart and will fit in the bow pockets on the outside of the Jeep.  A MB uses folding bows like those in your pics.  

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2017 at 3:52am
Supports for the "hood", I believe, in the UK. Wink   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2017 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Or perhaps "bonnet"? Big smile
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2017 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Or perhaps "bonnet"? Big smile

I don't think so. "Bonnet" is the part that covers the engine. Confused  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2017 at 11:35pm
Don't forget the wings are over the front tyres.    And the boot covers the other end, but I've never seen a Jeep with a boot.  

(Lived in Scotland for a couple of years)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 3:54am
I just noticed you have one CJ seat (driver's side) and one MB/GPW seat.  I wonder when/how/why that came about.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>