Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie looking to buy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyKh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie looking to buy
    Posted: 26 Nov. 2021 at 6:24pm
Hello All - Great forum,

I am a big fan of the cj2a's and looking to buy my first jeep. It doesnt need to be a show quality jeep, but would like it to be as unmolested as possible. I am looking at the below cj2a , and was wondering what you guys thought of this one. Thank you in advance!!

Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2021 at 9:56pm

Doesn’t have original wheels, and non rib cylinder original?
Does have an overdrive Clap and 12v with alternator. 
Body not perfect, but then you don’t have to worry about scratching it. 
I like it Clap

Edited by Flatfender Ben - 26 Nov. 2021 at 10:01pm
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Bitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2021 at 10:44pm
Looks like a heater and has a grill cover so may be pretty warm in the cold if it has a top.  Some interesting discoloring on sides which might be rust under the paint. (Same on step area). How many miles and does it have a title etc.  
AndyKh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyKh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2021 at 7:11am
Thank you guys! Yes has a title and 35k miles . The motor and tranny was rebuilt in 2016 and an overdrive added. Yes it comes with a top.

Listed at $10k.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2021 at 8:54am
I’ll make one suggestion that’s valid toward all old Willys buyers.
First and foremost carefully consider and envision what you actually plan to do with the jeep. 
Then look at each prospective Jeep purchase as a compilation of assemblies. Make sure those component assemblies can and will function to meet your specific needs. The various parts need meet your standards of expectations.
Otherwise you will be re-arranging and changing what you buy.

Example: If you feel the need to increase the HP for hiway travel then buy a Jeep with a bigger engine to start with.
Yes It’s a great looking old Willys as is !
But will it truly fit your needs ?

Edited by oldtime - 27 Nov. 2021 at 9:06am
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Bitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2021 at 9:07am
https://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/index.php?forums/for-sale-complete-vehicles.17/

If you are dropping $10k you might consider the CJ3B on old Willys forum.  Search for 1953 Willys CJ3B if interested. Or you can compare value. 
AndyKh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyKh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2021 at 10:05am
Hi Oldtime! Great points. Surprisingly ( for a newbie) - I am actually very clear on what I am looking for. 

I am looking for a largely original CJ2A , leisure driver - perhaps 500 miles of driving a year ( around 50 miles per weekend for 15 weekends a year)- mostly in 35-40mph winding roads. Not looking for a highway driver or a commuter.

I am handy - but not an expert. So looking for something that would be mechanically sound , and cosmetically ok.

Thank you.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2021 at 10:22am
Great ! You have a definite plan.
Then I might suggest you post a WTB CJ2A with your specific requirements noted.

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2021 at 10:49am
 If you are looking for one that represents an original, I would be concerned about all that wiring on the fire wall.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2021 at 11:08am
I do not know about the asking price.  I like the Jeep.  Very few that age are like they came from the factory.  Looks like a good place to start.

Edited by 64CJ5 - 27 Nov. 2021 at 11:09am
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2021 at 11:14am
Originally posted by 64CJ5 64CJ5 wrote:

I do not know about the asking price.  I like the Jeep.  Very few that age are like they came from the factory.  Looks like a good place to start.

That's right Tom.. gotta start someplace.
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2021 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

If you are looking for one that represents an original, I would be concerned about all that wiring on the fire wall.

Jim

Definitely not unmolested, Bubba has been here. But from what can be seen so far, nothing is unreversible. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply