Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie to Jeeps restores

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie to Jeeps restores
    Posted: 19 Mar. 2023 at 1:19pm

I have acquired a 1947 CJ2A.  It is running, Starts right up.  It does have either a rear seal leak or transmission, don’t know which, I can’t smell so that test does not work.  Also may need a new master cylinder, which one?

My major question is, I prefer to have my replacement parts on hand before I tear the old parts out.  In reading just because it is a 47’ does not mean it has the same factory parts as another.  

The tub on mine appears to have been an AgriJeep as there was no tail gate.

Edited by 47devil - 19 Mar. 2023 at 1:21pm
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2023 at 1:36pm
  But the Agrijeeps did have tailgates. That’s one of the major design features that made them Civilian Jeeps or Agrijeeps. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2023 at 1:47pm
Nice looking Jeep, though. The only thing I see that I don't like is that big chrome bumper.

Bruce is right that the civilian Jeeps, including the "AgriJeep" had tailgates.

The tailgate could have been replaced with a panel, or it could be a reproduction tub made without a tailgate. It is not a military tub. 

If you will take a picture of the master cylinder we can tell you whether it is stock style or something else. 

Usually I go through the whole brake system when a MC or wheel cylinder goes bad.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2023 at 2:59pm

No tailgate generally implies it to be a DJ-3 tub.
Has the large speedometer ?

Edited by oldtime - 19 Mar. 2023 at 3:01pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2023 at 4:50pm
Could it be a fiberglass tub?  On my phone, I can’t see the tell-tale seams of a steel tub, unless that are covered in body filler.
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2023 at 5:17pm
If available, use the right click and "open in new tab" option to see more details.

I see a lot but don't own a 2A so am hesitant to point these things out.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2023 at 5:52pm
I considered fiberglass too but it’s got rear bow pockets so I’m thinking DJ steel tub.
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2023 at 6:55pm
But the bow bracket is oddly spaced away from the tub, rather than welded directly to the corner?
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2023 at 7:12pm
Guess we’ll find out.
Guess it’s intermission time for some popcorn….

Edited by oldtime - 19 Mar. 2023 at 7:15pm
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Reply Post Reply