Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Your project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newest Find

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divinitous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newest Find
    Posted: 01 Apr. 2011 at 5:38pm
20 minutes before the end of work I found a Bantam on craigslist.  So I took the drive over and checked it out.  Seems like a nice find.  I already have a '47, but it's in rough shape and I figured it would be easier to restore this puppy instead.

I suspect it's an early civilian, with some combat wheels slapped on.  Along with a title comes the paperwork from the original owner that supposedly bought it from the government.  If only someone didn't extend the front.  Whatcha guys think?

Some interesting things I've spotted.

-Spring hangers have holes in em.
-Tag is mounted really high up (have to clean it up to get a serial number).
-Combat wheels
-V frame support
-Round drainhole patch in tub.
-U-style shackles

Edited by Divinitous - 01 Apr. 2011 at 5:55pm
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2011 at 5:44pm
definitely a civilian trailer...even has the clipped serial number tag...combats were supplied on the early ones so thay may be original..nice start!
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2011 at 9:11pm
Hmmm, interesting. The combat rims, drawbar gussets, and the number stamped in the frame indicate early, but the taillight panels indicate late. Maybe a transition point?
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
Divinitous View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divinitous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2011 at 9:32pm
Not sure, it's definitely a weird one.  I'll update tomorrow when I find its serial.  What's the best way to reveal the tags number without erasing the black background from it?
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2011 at 9:36pm
Looks like a good project.
The serial plate looks way to high though.

Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divinitous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2011 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by Night0wl Night0wl wrote:

Looks like a good project.
The serial plate looks way to high though.

I agree, I'm still a little skeptical.  However I did find this

http://bantamt3c.com/images/hubbard/Pages/Bantam3.html
Originally posted by Bantamt3c.com Bantamt3c.com wrote:

Data plate changes from 3"x3" to 1"x3". Early examples have the data plate right under the front top rail. Later models have the data plate mounted several inches lower.
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2011 at 11:26pm
I'm guessing transition model too. This would be a good one to get some detailed photos and query the database.

Let me know the serial number if you can make it out. Take a magnifying glass with if possible. Would also like to know if there is a ACM number.

Edited by 48cj2a - 02 Apr. 2011 at 4:26pm
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
ndrtkr View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndrtkr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2011 at 3:50am
Originally posted by Divinitous Divinitous wrote:

What's the best way to reveal the tags number without erasing the black background from it?
 take a little white chalk & rub into the plate where the #'s are.  It will sink into the recesses of the #.  Then rub the area with your finger to remove chalk from the high spot, leaving the chalk visible in the #'rd area.
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid"- John Wayne

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divinitous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2011 at 5:29pm
Serial 2521
Havent gotten an ACM # yet.

Was sold on August 11, 1954 to Jerry Nazarian of Camp Caron, Colorado by the county of Douglas Colorado.  Jerry paid $100.
dmeyerrph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmeyerrph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2011 at 10:26pm
That is where my serial tag was - mine is SN 2524 - with combat rims and sheet metal supports.

Dave - Retired LTC USAR
T3-C SN 2524
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sahara
M1 Garand
30-40 Krag

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--O-)_) <
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2011 at 10:41pm
Art,
It looks like all of the early Bantams have the plate mounted a few inches lower then the one in these examples.  Then when manufacturing hits the 2000 serial number range they move the plate all the way up to under the top rail.  Then after that some where in the 3000 range they change and go back to mounting the plate lower again.
Ryan, Dave,
I believe your trailers to be good examples of this.  If you look at the trailers on Art's page you will see that the realy early trailers did not have the plates directly below the rail but indead a few inches below that area, then a while later comes your examples, and then back again to the original spot.
No doubt something was going on during this transition.  This is good research and data info for the Bantam T3C page.
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2011 at 12:54am
I'm away at a class until next weekend so would like some high resolution pictures in a week or so and I'll update the database then.
Great Find!!!
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divinitous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2011 at 2:59am
Originally posted by 48cj2a 48cj2a wrote:

I'm away at a class until next weekend so would like some high resolution pictures in a week or so and I'll update the database then.
Great Find!!!

Not a problem.  I travel next week but will get some pics to you around next weekend.
 Post Reply Post Reply