Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newgren Decals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newgren Decals
    Posted: 16 June 2021 at 5:49pm
Wondering if anyone has a lift arm with an original Newgren decal still on it? All the pictures I’ve seen it looks like it says Newgren, but then more words below that. I can’t blow them up enough and stay clear to see what it says. 

Wondering the same thing about implement decals. 

Thanks,
Bill
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2021 at 11:00pm
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2021 at 10:30am
Rus,

Thanks. I’ve been all over Barry’s site and a few Sales Builders I have. If you look at these photos it looks like Newgren but then other text below. It looks like ‘The Newgren Co’ but I can’t make out the rest. Maybe it’s their address?

Bill

Edited by Bill Norris - 17 June 2021 at 10:31am

3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2021 at 10:50am
Hey Bill,
Does this help?
If you get decals made up I would be in for 2 pair!

Edited by 3-48s - 17 June 2021 at 10:59am
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2021 at 10:59am
Greg,

Thanks for the pic. I’ve seen variants of those too on restored lifts. But I have never seen that type in the old original photos. Not saying they’re wrong, I’ve just never seen them. They look cooler though. Ive seen this with black font. 

Do you know who’s Jeep that is? 

Bill

Edited by Bill Norris - 17 June 2021 at 11:02am

3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2021 at 11:17am
Bill,
I am not sure where I got that photo so I really don't know who’s Jeep that is.
I think I took photo at The Great WILLYS Picnic ten or so years ago.
Here is another version on the Omix Victorinox WILLYS.

1945 CJ2A #10536
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
WillysWally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillysWally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2021 at 12:15pm
Good Afternoon Greg:

Do you have any more pictures, especially close ups of the wrecker body.  Many Thanks.

Regards,

Walter
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2021 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Bill Norris Bill Norris wrote:

Rus,

Thanks. I’ve been all over Barry’s site and a few Sales Builders I have. If you look at these photos it looks like Newgren but then other text below. It looks like ‘The Newgren Co’ but I can’t make out the rest. Maybe it’s their address?

Bill

I see that rectangular decal you're after.  I can see it on a few illustrations that I've seen but none where it can be magnified enough for good detail.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
OnlyOneDR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyOneDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2021 at 3:44pm
Email the site owner on ewillys as he has piles of old documentation that can probably be scanned and enlarged. 
Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2021 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by OnlyOneDR OnlyOneDR wrote:

Email the site owner on ewillys as he has piles of old documentation that can probably be scanned and enlarged. 

Good point. Did not think of asking Dave. 

Thanks,
Bill

sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2021 at 5:22pm
Bill , I have a origional Newgren plow with a good decal. That said I also have repopped sticker. Pm me a phone number or a email and I’ll take a pic and send
OnlyOneDR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyOneDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2021 at 6:07pm
I will PM you as well; I have a Newgren lift frame that I need to restore and would love a high quality picture of that decal as well. 
Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2021 at 9:25pm
Kevin,

That sounds awesome. I sent you an email. 

Thanks,
Bill

3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2021 at 8:34am
Originally posted by sandusky sandusky wrote:

Bill , I have a origional Newgren plow with a good decal. That said I also have repopped sticker. Pm me a phone number or a email and I’ll take a pic and send

Hi Kevin,
I would be interested in a couple of repopped NEWGREN stickers if they are available. Can you please post photos.
Thanks!
1945 CJ2A #10536
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2021 at 10:34am
Originally posted by 3-48s 3-48s wrote:

Originally posted by sandusky sandusky wrote:

Hi Kevin,
I would be interested in a couple of repopped NEWGREN stickers if they are available. Can you please post photos.
Thanks!

Kevin,
I think there is a lot of interest in decals.  I'm certainly interested  I've been looking through my early ads and some show arm decals and others don't  I suspect the arms with no decals are early versions.

Barry

https://www.farmjeep.com/
Dr. B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2021 at 10:59pm
I’m working on a plow as well would appreciate info on decals as well. Thanks Gary 
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2021 at 5:57pm

I had some time while showing our CJ3a at an antique machinery show the past couple of days.  I was able to look through several ads and brochures.  I’ve come to the conclusion that there are two distinct decals.

The first, which is really the latest version was developed following the purchase of Newgren by Monroe (MAECO) around 1948. It has the Newgren name with a barn at top center.  Monroe/Newgren used the “Farm Tested” slogan in 1949 campaigns and they did have two test farms.   One near Monroe Michigan and the second near Warm Springs, GA.

The “barn” decal is readily seen on a number of ads and I have a set of these on our Newgren lift arms.  I believe those to be incorrect since they were created AFTER the Newgren Lift was out of production. 

The best picture I have of the original Newgren decal is found on the buzz saw brochure.  I have scanned it and it is available here - https://www.farmjeep.com/newgren-buzz-saw/   Just click on the image to enlarge it.

The same decal appears on the row-crop cultivator - https://www.farmjeep.com/newgren-row-crop-cultivator/  Again click on the image to enlarge

I cannot read the words (if that is what they are) under the large NEWGREN.  But we can get a good idea of the size by the placement on the arms.

These are the only two brochures that I have from this series, that must have been made just as Monroe purchase Newgren since the Monroe lift is named at the top of each, even though they are showing the Newgren lift.

I’ve searched the eWillys files but haven’t found other examples.  Given that all the early Newgren ads don’t show a decal, I think we might be looking at a narrow window when they were used.

Looking forward to seeing what others find.

Barry

https://www.farmjeep.com/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2021 at 9:11pm
Barry,

Interesting thoughts. So the plow ad I pulled off your site for reference is from the 1947 equipment book. That would agree with what you are saying. 

To me blowing up the cultivator picture it almost looks like that was airbrushed on after the photo. Typical of Willys back then. 

Bill

Post Reply Post Reply