Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newgren Lift control valve reproduction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newgren Lift control valve reproduction
    Posted: 05 Sep. 2020 at 11:38am
Trying to gauge the interest in a project to reproduce a Newgren Lift control valve.  This is the valve that sets atop the reservoir.  

The valve is a unique design and lacks any seals or O-ring.  These valves are subject to leak-down and poor performance issues.  I would want to see an O-ring added to the original design to eliminate these issues.

If you would be interested in obtaining a valve, please let me know.

Thanks,
Barry

Edited by lhfarmbt - 15 Sep. 2020 at 11:43am
https://www.farmjeep.com/
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2020 at 1:24pm
I’m interested . A couple of us have talked about having a 3D scan(Unsure of correct terminology)  and then having it 3 d printed. Not my field of expertise. I have a Newgren and has what appears to be a very good valve. If Joe Would need one to copy. Thanks 
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2020 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by sandusky sandusky wrote:

I’m interested . A couple of us have talked about having a 3D scan(Unsure of correct terminology)  and then having it 3 d printed. Not my field of expertise. I have a Newgren and has what appears to be a very good valve. If Joe Would need one to copy. Thanks 

Great!  I'll let Joe respond to your offer.  We have talked in the past about the need for a reproduction valve, but no one has been able to make it happen or at least available to the rest of us.  I'm hoping with Joe's interest, as a Newgren owner, and skill set, we might be able to make something happen.

BTW, the discussion with Joe came about because I had a request from a guy in Brazil who wanted technical drawings for the Newgren.  I figured if anyone might have such a thing, it would be Joe.  He doesn't.  But that led to a discussion of the Newgren lift and the control valve.

Barry 
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2020 at 6:05pm
Awesome !
sonoblast77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonoblast77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2020 at 10:14pm
Is this a newgren valve? Minus the spool rod?
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2020 at 10:47pm
Yes, that is the main body.  Just missing a few parts Smile

Barry
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2020 at 10:52pm
I have valves to reverse engineer. Just need to gauge interest
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2020 at 10:59pm
Same casting but mine doesn't have the threaded hole on the bottom left. mine is Serial 4863

Edited by Joe Friday - 05 Sep. 2020 at 11:07pm
sonoblast77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonoblast77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2020 at 12:07am
I'm petty sure the extra hole was added by grandpa,  the aluminum is to clean, with tool marks from a cutter.
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2020 at 2:47pm
I would be interested in one for sure. Mine works but does leak a decent amount. I’m fact if you read the original installation instructions it say right in them that it will Leak a little bit!
But yes I would want one.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2020 at 3:18pm
I too would be interested in one!
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
Flat40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flat40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2020 at 1:19am
I would be interested also. 
MSG Keane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSG Keane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2020 at 10:53pm
Does Joe or anyone else make reproduction Monroe lift arms?
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2020 at 1:42pm
MSG... yes I can make lift arms. PM if interested in further discussion.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Qcanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qcanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2020 at 7:09am
I'd take one for sure Barry, and thanks for the initiative.  I have mine taken apart at the moment and it doesn't look like it  could ever go back I to service.  I'm happy to let it be used to produce the new ones if need be.
Are we also talking about the aluminum arm that actuared the plunger on the actusl valve?  Mine crumbled into three pieces as it was so brittle. 
Anyway, great to hear about this progress!

Thanks, 
Quentin
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2020 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Qcanuck Qcanuck wrote:

I'd take one for sure Barry, and thanks for the initiative.  I have mine taken apart at the moment and it doesn't look like it  could ever go back I to service.  I'm happy to let it be used to produce the new ones if need be.
Are we also talking about the aluminum arm that actuared the plunger on the actusl valve?  Mine crumbled into three pieces as it was so brittle. 
Anyway, great to hear about this progress!

Thanks, 
Quentin
I'm embarrassed to have to say I can't answer your questions.  I've been looking for a replacement for a decade and when Joe said he was willing to do the needed engineering and manufacturing, I just jumped on here with the fabulous news.  I never gave Joe a chance to discuss how this project might play out before, I made an announcement like it was a done deal.

So maybe Joe should have a chance to discuss this project without further interference from me.

Barry

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2020 at 7:31pm
You're all good Barry. I've been pretty busy trying to keep other projects moving forward in the shop so I've been sitting back marking time gauging interest. I'd really like to see around 10 people or so have interest to get the cost of this reasonable... both monetarily and time expended.
I've given this project some thought and I'm concern about how happy people will be with the final product... as there is going to have to be a compromise between living with the original design that inherently leaks, or some thing that is noticeably larger than the original but doesn't leak. Here's the problem. The valve leaks by design because there isn't any provision for a seal as the casting is too small to accommodate that. So the dilemma is... are people more interested in having a replacement part that looks exactly like the original and leaks, or would people like to see a larger casting that would give room for a seal?  Something else to consider... If I make a larger valve body casting then I may have to change the aluminum actuator arm and/or the side plates that link it to the valve body.

Joe DeYoung

lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2020 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by Joe DeYoung Joe DeYoung wrote:

You're all good Barry. I've been pretty busy trying to keep other projects moving forward in the shop so I've been sitting back marking time gauging interest. I'd really like to see around 10 people or so have interest to get the cost of this reasonable... both monetarily and time expended.
I've given this project some thought and I'm concern about how happy people will be with the final product... as there is going to have to be a compromise between living with the original design that inherently leaks, or some thing that is noticeably larger than the original but doesn't leak. Here's the problem. The valve leaks by design because there isn't any provision for a seal as the casting is too small to accommodate that. So the dilemma is... are people more interested in having a replacement part that looks exactly like the original and leaks, or would people like to see a larger casting that would give room for a seal?  Something else to consider... If I make a larger valve body casting then I may have to change the aluminum actuator arm and/or the side plates that link it to the valve body.

You are too kind Joe.  This is just the kind of discussion that we should have had if I hadn't jumped the gun.  I'll start with my own view.  I've spent a number of years trying to find a fix for the leaking valve that would maintain the "between the seats" and rear control lever.  The valve itself won't ever be seen by the vast majority of people.  I have had a few engineer types crawl under the Jeep at shows, but that is rare.

So I'm for function over the original design.  I have to believe that the Newgren engineers would agree with such a change.  Look forward to hearing from others.

Barry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>