Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newly Acquired Drivetrain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kulpfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newly Acquired Drivetrain
    Posted: 16 July 2018 at 12:09am
I recently aquired a full drive train from a 1949 CJ2a.  It was said to be running prior to the cj being torn apart to be part of a display unit.  What steps should I take prior to trying to start it up for the first time in a long time.

Change oil? Adjust valves?

Is it worth keeping transfer case and transmission for spare or sell it off?
Kulpfarm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kulpfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 12:11am
Another pic
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 2:05am
It's a 3A engine!...

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 2:07am
That came from a 3A, not a 2A, unless late 2As used the 3A type starter and front plate/motor mounts. 

I'd say make sure it turns over easily, clean the carb, change the oil, check valve adjustment, adjust if necessary.  Maybe pull the oil pan and check for sludge and clean the pickup screen.  If you have the space, keep the tranny and T/C for spares.  
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Kulpfarm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kulpfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 8:52pm
I noticed the difference but didn’t understand what I was looking at. Was the starter on the 3A a pedal start?
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 11:17pm
Yes!, the fuel pump and the front mounting plate with the foreword facing ear are 3A, as well as the crossmember for the trans/tc.... Nice find!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Kulpfarm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kulpfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 11:33pm
thank you.  I still have not done anything with it yet.  Waiting on my 1 3/8” so let to arrive so I can give it a turn.  Oil looks clean but haven’t opened oils pan yet.
Kulpfarm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kulpfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 9:55pm
I tried spinning motor with a breaker bar with no luck.  Since it is attached to transmission and transfer case, is ther something special I must do?  The trans is in neutral.  Should I detach the drivetrain or somehow release pressure on clutch?

I’m hoping it is a newby simplistic mistake
Kulpfarm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kulpfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2018 at 10:06pm
got the head off and now I’m understanding why it wouldn’t spin.  Pistons have clean tops (30 over) but walls above are crusted with rust.  Looks like the motor wasn’t covered and water got into the carb and eventually into cylinders.

What determines if this is worthy of a rebuild?
At least, the transmission and transfer case seem good.  Clutch was brand new.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2018 at 10:29pm
Post a photo of the rust in the cylinders - how much rust? Just light surface rust?
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Kulpfarm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kulpfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2018 at 12:32am
back cylinder
Kulpfarm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kulpfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2018 at 12:33am
back center 

Kulpfarm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kulpfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2018 at 12:34am
front center
Kulpfarm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kulpfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2018 at 12:35am
front cylinder 

Kulpfarm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kulpfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2018 at 12:40am
still stuck fast.  Have them soaking in PB blaster 
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2018 at 3:36am
Scott, Looking at your pictures, I doubt if this engine will be OK without a re-bore job, but I have been wrong about that in the past. I hope I am wrong this time as well.

Try this, use some Scotch-Brite to remove as much of the rust as possible while trying to keep the scales from dropping down around the rings. Rags help a bit with this. Then take more pictures so we can evaluate the depth of the pitting on the cylinder walls. I hope that the pitting is not as bad as it looks on the posted pictures. 

Eventually you will have to pull the pistons out of the cylinders to get a good look at the cylinder walls. Try to remove them intact. Not only will someone, (hopefully you), be able to reuse those pistons, you will also lower the risk of damaging the engine further.

What I recommend is the Scotch-Brite. When you have as much of the rust removed this way as you can get, wipe the dirty crap out of the cylinders with rags, then oil the tops of the pistons with your favorite penetrating oil, NOT WD-40! PB Blaster is good. Let it soak for at least a few hours, days would be better. After that, try to move the crankshaft (CS) again. If it moves just a bit & stops, repeat the above steps & try to move the CS again, try both directions. 

Oh, BTW, the cylinders are numbered front to back. The front one is #1 & the aft one is #4.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.

Edited to add PB Blaster.

Edited by cpt logger - 21 July 2018 at 3:38am
Kulpfarm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kulpfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2018 at 10:53pm
Learn a hard lesson, there still plenty of unhonest people in the world. 
After scrubbing with some Scotch-Brite (maroon), I found some more damage.  Cylinder #1 looks like a wrist pin broke scoring the cylinder wall deeply.  Motor still stuck but trying to be patient. Cylinder #4 would need to be bored.

Oil was dark but water free but starting wonder if the person drained it and filled it with used oil.
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2018 at 1:15am
It doesn't look like it was taking on water. More looks like someone didn't store it correctly. Too bad because the bore and the cylinders look pretty fresh. 

Just my opinion, that's way beyond Scotch-brite. Don't waste your time. Remove the crank and pound those pistons out. Send it out and hope for the best. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>