Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next Q...Radiator to Tub Brace

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Next Q...Radiator to Tub Brace
    Posted: 13 Sep. 2020 at 11:24pm
The bar that attaches from the radiator to the hood hinge area...is this really needed?

The reason I ask is that I installed a rain gutter under the hood hinge (diverts water to the sides of the cowl rather than seeping into the engine) and I'm not sure if I really need to install the bar...and, the bar would be a tricky hole to drill and would defeat the purpose of the rain gutter.

I'm not really sure what the purpose of the bar is if everything is already tight.

Jay
1948 Willy CJ2A (restoration in progress)
1952 Ford 8N tractor restored
1997 Jeep TJ 255,000 miles, DD and mudder...I like to live dangerously.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2020 at 11:52pm
I can tell you from bitter experience that the bar IS needed.  I ended up needing to have the radiator on my first Jeep recored because I forgot to re-install the bar once.  Cry  The radiator is not locked in place without the bar.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Richard J View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2020 at 11:52pm
the radiator has only the two bottom bolts to the crossmember holding it so you need the round bar to hold it in place keeping it from moving forward or back into the fan .
Richard
JayBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2020 at 1:04am
Copy that!  Thanks guys!  I'll figure a way to mount it up then!
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2020 at 7:20am
I also installed a rain gutter on mine, and just used a dab of "Seal All" around the hole for the support rod. The rod goes through the lip of the gutter. You can barely see the gutter with the rod in this picture.

We had a hard rain a couple of days ago and afterward I went out to check and there wasn't a bit of water on the head. 

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2020 at 12:39pm
I'm not sure I understand the conflict. Here is a look at the standard rain gutter with the radiator rod installed.  The hole should already be in the lip of the tub.  If no hole, you would probably need to remove the gutter to drill it.  (The photo blows up if you touch it...or click it)

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2020 at 1:58pm
That is a very nice gutter, but it doesn't look at all like the one that was on my 48 which didn't work very well and looked like those I have seen on parts supplier sites. Nice looking engine bay too.

This 47 didn't have one, so I made one from a piece of aluminum channel with an attached lip I fabricated that fastens to the lip of the tub. The hole for my radiator support is in the lip of the tub which is right behind where the gutter is mounted. Water would leak through that hole go under the gutter onto the head which is why I had to seal it. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there
JayBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2020 at 3:53am
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

I'm not sure I understand the conflict. Here is a look at the standard rain gutter with the radiator rod installed.  The hole should already be in the lip of the tub.  If no hole, you would probably need to remove the gutter to drill it.  (The photo blows up if you touch it...or click it)

My conflict was drilling a mounting hole into the gutter...similar to yours.  I guess I was just wondering about getting a good hole drilled in the gutter to mount the rod, but now I see it's not that bad.  Thanks for the picture!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic