Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No spark

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No spark
    Posted: 13 May 2022 at 7:15pm
I have power from ignition switch to coil, Nothing out of distributor. It's second new coil

Paul Goodman
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 10:00am
You still need functioning points and condenser and rotor to get a spark.
Power the coil+ directly from the battery, intermittently contact the coil - to the battery and see if there is a spark from the coil secondary cable to ground.
BOULDER 48 2A
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

You still need functioning points and condenser and rotor to get a spark.
Power the coil+ directly from the battery, intermittently contact the coil - to the battery and see if there is a spark from the coil secondary cable to ground.

Bolding mine.

First you need to disconnect the wire from the coil to the distributor. Jump a power wire to the + side of the coil. Then intermittently connect the other terminal to the ground, not the battery. Well, you could go to the negative post of the battery, but it is not good to create sparks anywhere near the battery. It might go boom!

If you have spark, the coil is good. If not, the coil is bad.

If you had spark, the points +/or condenser are bad, or the wiring is bad, or the points are miss-adjusted.

Check the wire from the coil to the distributor. You are looking for any damage, especially a bare spot that is touching any metal. If any damage is found, replace this wire. Next check inside the distributor If the post through the case is touching the case, there is your problem. If any of the wires inside the distributor are damaged, replace them.

Turn the engine until the points are fully closed. With the coil wires installed properly & power to it, using an insulated, (non-metal), screwdriver, pry the points open & let them close. It should throw a spark each time the points open.

If it does, the points are the problem. This is the time to file the points to clean up the contacts. Also set them to the proper gap with them held as far open as they get. Turn the engine to get to this position.

If this test does not throw sparks, the condenser is at least part of the problem. Replace it with a known good one. Do you have an old spare that worked fine, but got replaced just because? Otherwise installing a new condenser is similar to playing Russian roulette just not as deadly. New ones are often bad straight out of the box.

One of my pet peeves is folks replacing either one of or both of the points & condenser just because "it is time". I do not do this. Points & condensers can last a very long time. I only replace them if they are bad. Before a barn fire destroyed my VW Baja four years ago, it had the same NAPA points & condenser I installed in 1978. Yes, the engine had been rebuilt at least once in that time. Keep the points lubed & set properly. Also do not leave the ignition on for a long time without the engine running. That can fry the points.

Edited to correct spelling mistake.

Edited by cpt logger - 14 June 2022 at 4:32am
PGoodman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 12:58pm
Thank you

Paul Goodman
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 1:03pm
"One of my pet peeves is folks replacing either one of or both of the points & condenser just because "it is time". I do not do this. Points & condensers can last a very long time. I only replace them if they are bad. Before a barn fire destroyed my VW Baja four years ago, it had the same NAPA points & condenser I installed in 1978. "
Very true. I would say the same about spark plugs. They should last at least 30,000 miles in a Willys. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
PGoodman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2022 at 1:38pm
Looks like I'm needing a new distributor.  Electronic or standard with points?  best place to purchase??
Paul Goodman
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2022 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by PGoodman PGoodman wrote:

Looks like I'm needing a new distributor.  Electronic or standard with points?  best place to purchase??

How did you make that determination? If you have an IAD4008 it is a simple mechanical device that can be repaired.
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2022 at 2:09pm
As Muley asked, how did you determine you need a new distributor?? 

About the only thing that can go wrong with the distributor itself to prevent spark is if the input wire gets grounded to the case, and that is an easy fix.

If there is indeed something wrong with yours, it would be better to repair it than to buy one of the reproduction units. 

I think a lot of folks go to an Electronic ignition because they either don't know how to maintain a breaker point ignition, or they are tired of the crappy import condenser failure, but good quality points and condensers are still available from Napa, and the "Blue Streak" Standard Products sets are also good.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2022 at 4:20am
Even if the bushings are bad, +/or the shaft is bent, the old one can be rebuilt. I do my own, but there are a few folks who rebuild these old distributors for a living. The last time I priced a rebuild out, it was cheaper than a new distributor.

Of course it is your time & $$, so do as you want. I can be of no help on recommending a new distributor as I have not bought one in 4 decades.

BTW, Pertronix & others sell the required parts/kit to "upgrade" your points distributor to electronics. They even make the kit for 6 volts systems.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
PGoodman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2022 at 7:16pm
anyone know of a rebuilder or where I can buy parts to do it myself?
Thanks 
Paul

Paul Goodman
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2022 at 8:10pm
  A simple Google search for “Willys Distributors” brought up this:

BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply