Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non CJ engine identification

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndgearhero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Non CJ engine identification
    Posted: 11 Jan. 2023 at 9:08pm
Hello All,

I stated in another forum that I suspect the engine in my CJ is not originally from a CJ:  I cannot find an oval plate, nor any numbers on the water pump housing.  Plus I noticed that it has a Carter YF style carb.  Right now, I am dealing with what feels like a fuel starvation issue after climbing a sustained incline.  Further more, it feels like its not getting enough fuel to climb my driveway (moderate pitch) from a stop.

When I took a look at the linkage, it appears that I cannot get to full throttle with the pedal all the way down.  Plus, the linkage doesn't match what should be on a CJ.  I also noticed that someone had gotten "creative" with the return spring by adding additional parts to it.

Could I potentially have the wrong carb/linkage and I run out of travel?  

I am new to the forum but will attempt to upload some pictures of my carb/linkage setup.

Thanks!

"If the women don't find you handsome, then they should at least find you handy" -RedGreen
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2023 at 9:13pm
Wagons and probably other Willys vehicles used the Carter YF. Notice that your carburetor flange is perpendicular to the engine. The CJ L134 used the Carter WO and the flange is parallel to the engine.

Doesn't mean your engine is not a CJ engine, just means you have the wrong intake manifold and carburetor. As is obvious, these can be adapted but it takes some creativity to make it work right.

You can probably figure a way to make the throttle linkage work properly with that set up, but if it matters to you to have the correct set up you will need to source a CJ intake manifold and a Carter WO carburetor.

All of the L134 engines are interchangeable, and that is why we see mismatched setups like that. The basic engine is the same, so don't worry about whether you have the oval pad or not. Doesn't matter.

Edited by Oldpappy - 11 Jan. 2023 at 9:24pm
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2023 at 10:41pm
Looks like DJ stuff.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2023 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Looks like DJ stuff.

Or Supersonic/Jeepster settup.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2023 at 11:31pm
....Yep....

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Wrongway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrongway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2023 at 12:17am
Interesting post.
I was just looking for information on what's become the "FrankenDevil" engine I bought to rebuild for my 48 CJ2a. That's the same intake manifold that was on it. It also had a front plate that was from a 2wd Jeepster or wagon. So that makes sense that your intake is from a wagon or jeepster.  
 So yes there are endless possibilities in combining parts for this old iron. 
49 CJ3A - Dauntless V6 -Sold
56 Wagon Buick V6 -Sold
49 CJ3A Custom Rock Crawler -Sold
58 FC170 350 Chev,snow plow -Sold
48 CJ2A 206401 Original and keeping it that way !!! Current   

2ndgearhero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndgearhero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2023 at 9:05am
I figured something was off, and yes I know that the 137 was used EVERYwhere but when I got into the power issue, I noticed that the carb did not match with any of the literature I found so I was curious to see if there was some sort of variant.  It looks to me that someone had already gotten creative with the throttle linkage because I had found a key chain hoop as one of the links!
"If the women don't find you handsome, then they should at least find you handy" -RedGreen
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2023 at 2:17pm
It also looks like one out of a welder my uncle owns. It has the same carburetor & front plate as far as I can see anyway.

When you get a chance, pull the carburetor & measure the hole below it. The Welders had a smaller bore then the automobiles did. This alone will limit the power you can drag out of the engine.

Do I see a number stamped behind the water pump on the top of the block? My old eyes may be deceiving me. Please check that for us.

BTW, These are L-134 engines not 137. Probably a slip of the finger With my fat fingers, that happens all the time. The 7 is directly above the 4 on the key pad.  OTOH, the extra 3 cubes might help with the power. Smile

Tell Red Green I said hi, Cpt Logger.

Edited by cpt logger - 12 Jan. 2023 at 2:21pm
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2023 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

It also looks like one out of a welder my uncle owns. It has the same carburetor & front plate as far as I can see anyway.

When you get a chance, pull the carburetor & measure the hole below it. The Welders had a smaller bore then the automobiles did. This alone will limit the power you can drag out of the engine.

It a Carter YF carburator, NOT an industrial W-O….

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndgearhero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2023 at 10:04pm
so, I confirmed that I could not read any numbers off of the water pump boss.  Someone said it before and I am now agreeing that at some point the block was decked because you can see the tool marks from a fly cutter:

Again, I don't understand why my pictures are upside down, I even corrected the image and attempted to flip them!  Angry

I also confirmed that the block did not have an oval plate under the oil filter as well, however, I was able to get the casting number off the block:

any leads or ideas?
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2023 at 4:04am
Lee, I am sure that you are correct as to what carburetor came with what application. I am just saying that the generator that my uncle has has a carburetor that looks like the Carter YF. Is my uncle's generator stock? I do not know. If I had to bet, I would bet that it is not stock, only because you say it is not stock. Otherwise I do not know if it is.

It is on a farm 1,200 miles away from me, so I am not going to look at it today. Besides, it is in a shed under feet of snow right now. I will bet that it will run & produce electricity today. We always kept it in good shape with 100LL av gas in the tank. 100LL will be good for 3-7 years.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2023 at 6:52am
Z-  I believe the photo upside down thing can have to do with the orientation of the camera when the photo was taken...  I recall that being discussed here before.

As for the block, from memory the 804380 casting is late in the run as far as L134s go, like M38 and later.  1950's and 60's.

BRB, lol ETA

Edited by mbullism - 13 Jan. 2023 at 6:56am
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndgearhero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2023 at 8:49am
Interesting; I know that at some point someone took a crack at it because all of the wires were replaced so im guessing that they swapped motors at that time.  The carb may the the key to nailing down where it came from
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2023 at 9:23am
Originally posted by 2ndgearhero 2ndgearhero wrote:

Interesting; I know that at some point someone took a crack at it because all of the wires were replaced so im guessing that they swapped motors at that time.  The carb may the the key to nailing down where it came from

I'll think you'll find (and are in the process of now, lol) that a lot can happen in 75 years... that could be the second carb on the fourth engine, put in by the 9th owner all while garaged in five different states Wink.
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndgearhero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2023 at 10:12am
Believe me, A LOT can happen in even 5 years!  I think right now i may go searching for a new intake manifold and carb to make that correct.  Also, i need to either dig into what is going on with the generator or invest in an alternator because nothing is charging.

Right now, I have a 1945 frame and 1946 everything else except for tue engine which is 1950's from something else entirely!  Yard sale!
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2023 at 12:10pm
Hold your phone sideways when taking a picture, if you hold it like your talking on it the pictures post wrong. 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2023 at 3:04pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
Qcanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qcanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2023 at 10:20am
The block and / or manifold and carb or other parts could also be from a Willys Americar which featured the L134 engine between 1937 and 1942. 

QW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>