Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non stock seat options

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Non stock seat options
    Posted: 15 Aug. 2018 at 6:11pm
  I have been looking into different seat options.  I am a little over 6ft and could probably stand to lose a couple pounds so comfort behind the wheel would be good. Currently have stock seat frames with no upholstery so distance to the steering wheel is not to bad.  I have considered notching the fender well to gain some room.  But I was also wondering what other seat options people have run?  Is there such a thing as a "classic" looking taller bucket seat instead of a plastic race seat? If so any pictures, or what model it may have come from?  I am just doing a little research before I try something else or spend money to have the stock frames upholstered.  Thanks for any input
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2018 at 6:21pm
This is somewhat of a recurring question. You might think about notching the seat instead of the wheel housing. Very easy, cheap, and avoids cutting the tub. Look at Modifications from original, Tall Driver Comfort Tips for more information.
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2018 at 8:13pm
You might like Smittybuilt low back buckets. I have a set in my CJ2A and they look good and are very comfortable. They are also reasonably priced. I bought two front buckets and a rear seat, all for about $400 shipped. You will need to do some work to get them in there, but I didn't have to modify the tub and I'm comfortable in it. I'm 6' tall. Probably the easiest way is to build new frames so you can get the seat back and down as far as possible. Good luck.
BGarth13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BGarth13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2018 at 9:42pm
I have also seen quite a few using 1st gen mustang buckets (which are available new).  Those look pretty good in the flat fenders and are reasonably small, though I imagine you’re still going to run into space issues
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2018 at 10:00pm
Other seat options? Blasphemy! There will be no further talk of thisDead
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2018 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by damar2yxr damar2yxr wrote:

Other seat options? Blasphemy! There will be no further talk of thisDead
Thou shalt not be comfortable! Thou must fold your legs up and wedge thy knees against thine steering wheel!Disapprove
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2018 at 10:44pm
When I rebuilt my 53 CJ3B a few years ago, I used the leather seats out of a 2005 dodge sx. They are narrow enough and small enough to fit and extremely comfortable for an old fart. I also modified the steering mounting bracket and raised the steering column a little to give my six pack a little more room. Sure enjoy these reversible mods!Thumbs Up
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2018 at 11:59pm
I have had Corbeau wide JP Seats for about 2 years.   Suspension seats are great. like them a lot, did have to notch fenderwells and build seat brackets like an early cj5 Fltfndr

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2018 at 1:37am
I appreciate the input.  I am still deciding what the seat choice will be.  I am not against keeping the stock seats just want to see what other options are there before I spend any money.  The Corbeau seats look pretty nice and seem reasonable for what you are getting. 
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2018 at 1:22pm
This is what came in the "cob salad" that I currently have custody of....they also notched the fenderwells on both sides...I have not driven it yet but it has to feel better than what was from the factory...good luck with your choice...
I am the squirrel....
BGarth13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BGarth13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2018 at 5:03pm
I used to have a YJ, and the hot ticket for those was to use Chevy cavalier seats.  That choice was largely based on the fact that they were a direct bolt in swap.  They were also much more comfortable than stock seats, have some gussetting, still relatively small and readily available cheap. So if you’re ok with high back seats, that is an option.
I also did some minor modifications to early CJ5 seats to make them fit in my dad’s 3A.  We did not notch the fenders, so it’s a little tight.  It is another option.
For my GPW, I hacked up some roached out 2A frames and raised them up in order to move them back.  My GPW floor is nowhere near stock, and I’ll be running the fuel tank in the back between the frame rails so this option would require more work.
 Post Reply Post Reply