Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Northern Colorado Mountain Run 2018 - Event Date: 17 July 2018 - 22 July 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2018 at 5:17pm
That's an idea Mike, we'll have to look into that. We might be able to make a run over to the sand dunes North of Walden too. We started out to do that last year but didn't make it. Too much road work. The Willys's prefer trail work.
  Is there  law about interstate transport of open containers?LOL  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2018 at 1:46pm
Yup the sand dunes would be fun to explore, even if they are a bit far away.  I've been there once before, but not with the Jeep.  We could check out the reservoirs up at Cameron Pass, then go play at the Dunes.  Then take the Wyoming way back to camp to make a big loop for the day.  80C takes us to CO 103 south to CO-14. That takes us to Walden.  There's gas, and a good burger joint in Walden. CO-125 out of Walden connects to 6E to the dunes north of Cowdrey.  From 6E and 125 we'd go north to 127.  That would take us to Wyocolo and the 526 road.  526 takes us through the forests and over the hills to the Laramie River at the junction of Wyo 10 and CO 103.  Then if we went north on 10 to Woods Landing - that's where the beer is!  In a little lodge near the Laramie River.  Or we take 103 south back to 80C, and back to camp.  

No doubt there would be some paved road miles in the loop, but lots of gravel road miles too.  It's gravel from camp to Cameron Pass, then paved to Walden, Cowdrey, the dunes, and Wyocolo.  526 and 103 are back on gravel.   I wonder if Mapquest or Google maps could give us a distance and time estimate for this loop?  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2018 at 6:20pm
Bruce and Mike, instead of going south on 103 to 14 and back up to Walden, what about going north on 103 to Hohnholz Lakes and then over the mountain to Kings Canyon. That seems to be the only road over the Medicine Bow Mts. north of Cameron Pass. It's very squiggly on the map. I'm not sure where the sand hills are that you're talking about but that should put us close. Of course we miss the burgers in Walden, but we're closer to the beer ....
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 1:06am
Kate, you're a geenuss.  The Hohnholtz lake road connects with a FS road, not sure of the number yet.  That connects with 157, which turns into 46B, then connects with 46.  That takes us to 6E just a few miles north of the sand dunes.  The sand dunes are ENE of Cowdrey, on 6E, if you can find that little burg on a map.  Your suggestion would be a great way to get to the dunes and all on gravel/dirt roads.  No gas or burgers available on your route, and that's OK.  We can pack what we need.  Your route still misses the beer.  Better pack some.  Looking at the satellite photo it's all mountains and forests once we leave the lakes.  Could be a good ride.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 8:19am
Originally posted by Katiedid Katiedid wrote:

Bruce and Mike, instead of going south on 103 to 14 and back up to Walden, what about going north on 103 to Hohnholz Lakes and then over the mountain to Kings Canyon. That seems to be the only road over the Medicine Bow Mts. north of Cameron Pass. It's very squiggly on the map. I'm not sure where the sand hills are that you're talking about but that should put us close. Of course we miss the burgers in Walden, but we're closer to the beer ....

That's the way we started out to go last year. Seems as though long, steady, medium pulls on county roads on a hot day are worse vaporlock inducers than slow, hard trail work. I think we were just about through the worst of it when we had to turn back. More than one was having trouble. That area West of Honholtz Lakes is pretty nice, there's an old townsite called Old Roach, we call the entire area by that name.
  Heck, we can cook burgers in camp, and we're pretty sure there will be some beer there... maybe some HBR's too. Sound good, Tiny? And we don't have to drive back.
  I guess, if folks don't mind doin' some road drivin', we could drive down to Chambers Lake and maybe even down to Long Draw Reservoir. If we're able to run the Green Ridge Trail North-to-South, we will come out at Lost Lake near Chambers and drive back to camp on 103 and 80C.   
  We'll play it by ear. We can discuss where we go and plan it as we go along. You know that's the way I do things.  BW

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2018 at 6:02am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

We'll play it by ear. We can discuss where we go and plan it as we go along. You know that's the way I do things.

Planning is the opposite of adventure.  Big smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
longmontgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longmontgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2018 at 4:11pm
I would love to make this trip with Lefty! I only have a small logistical problem. I don’t have a truck that can pull a trailer with the Jeep on it. Would anyone happen to have extra trailer space that’s passing by Berthoud on the way up to Red Feathers?? Embarrassed
Emily   :)

'48 2a "Lefty" (WFB legacy)
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2018 at 5:38pm
your Toyota would pull that.
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
longmontgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longmontgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2018 at 5:57pm
The 3.4L can tow the Jeep or the trailer, not both according to russ. We’re still towing around with ideas on how to make it work. Russ can’t make it, so it would be me and Allen!
Emily   :)

'48 2a "Lefty" (WFB legacy)
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2018 at 6:45pm
Emily, I flat tow my 3A with my camper on the truck.  I have the same engine (3.4l) in a Tacoma.  Sometimes slow going but it'll get you there!  If you could put a tow bar on your jeep, should have no issues.  PM me if you want any tips.
Tom
1949 CJ3A

64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2018 at 3:29am
Bruce,  Are special stickers needed from the Forest Service for your run?  As of now I am planning to be with you.

Tom
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2018 at 8:45pm
Nothing special needed Tom, but you should have current registration and insurance.   
Rick Cline and I decided to relocate to Cherokee Park / Sand Creek and do some riding there. We checked the weather there when we reached Lusk Wyo (we ran in rain all the way there) and found it was raining in N CO too. So Rick turned East and I continued South. I'm in Torrington Wyo now. It's not raining but it has been. 
To all my friends that I got to see for a short time,

Until We Jeep Again,   BW

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2018 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Nothing special needed Tom, but you should have current registration and insurance.   
Rick Cline and I decided to relocate to Cherokee Park / Sand Creek and do some riding there. We checked the weather there when we reached Lusk Wyo (we ran in rain all the way there) and found it was raining in N CO too. So Rick turned East and I continued South. I'm in Torrington Wyo now. It's not raining but it has been. 
To all my friends that I got to see for a short time,

Until We Jeep Again,   BW

The sky is black here now, BW.  Tornado warnings out all over the place including Galeton.  Drive safe.

Tom
1949 CJ3A

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2018 at 12:18pm
As we came south on I-25 there were a few clouds over the mountains, but not like what was over the plains.  I was giving some serious thought to detouring up to the NCR site for a day or two.  Since BW and Shack didn't go there, I'm glad I didn't either.  But we'll be there in less than a month.  Ready for rain but Jeeping in sunshine.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 8:14pm
Bdub,  did you land on a firm location for the NCR yet? 
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 11:02pm
  Yeah, we will camp in the same place as last year. For those who were not there, I will find the discussion on last year's thread about how to find it, and get it over here somehow.  BW

Edit:Here is a link to last year's thread. 

Campsite discussion starts on page 1 and continues for 2-3 pages. I think this will be easier than repeating all the discussion here. Of course, if you have questions or comments, don't be afraid to speak up.  BW

Note: We will do the Rock Stew again this year, but a reminder is in order: EVERYONE is supposed to bring something to throw in the pot. I've been doing this for 12 years now, and evidently some folks don't get it. If I didn't spend a lot of money on ingredients in the past, it would truly have been Rock Stew. Please help me out here, if you want to continue the tradition. Some suggestions: Sausage, any kind, including brats. Even hotdogs would be fine. Any kind of beef, pork, or fowl. Potatos. Onions. Carrots. Mushrooms. Corn-on-the-cob. Cabbage. Brussels sprouts. Asparagus. Your favorite Soup. Almost anything you can think of. Get the idea?

Like the Monkey said when he got his tail caught in the lawn mower - "IT WON'T BE LONG NOW!!!"

BOOGITY!! BOOGITY!! BOOGITY!! LET'S GO JEEPIN', FOLKS!!!

bw

Edited by Bruce W - 21 June 2018 at 11:47pm

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 12:23pm
The coordinates for the entrance to our camp site off of 80C are:

N 40 degrees 56 minutes 09 seconds, W 105 degrees 44 minutes 29 seconds.
(N 40* 56' 09", W 105* 44' 29")

or in full decimal it's:  N 40.935993, W 105.741623

The elevation is 8911 to 8918 feet above sea level.  I got all of this from Google Earth.  They made some changes to the program that I don't like.  I can't put in markers in the free version anymore.  I'd have to buy Google Earth Pro to put in markers or routes.  Bummer.  

So if you have a GPS to help guide you, just plug those numbers in and it should tell you how far and how many hours you are from camp.  And the best part is it should lead you right to the entrance to camp.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 4:53pm
Not sure I can make it but I'm gonna give it a helluva try. Are these directions coming from the west still current? (I suck with lat/long and google earth). a paper map would sure help.. This was posted by M38Mike last year..

If you are coming from the west, either follow 14 from Walden to Chambers lake and go north on 103, or from Woods Landing, WY go south on WY-10.  It will become 103 at the CO line.  From the intersection of County Road 103 and 80C, go east about 11.5 miles and watch for the meadow on the left with a two-track trail going through it.  That is where our camp will be. 

If you look on Mapquest use the address 35350 Sand Creek Rd, Red Feather Lakes, Colorado, and it will take you right to the turn into the meadow where we'll camp.
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>