Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

not charging- how to diagnose

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: not charging- how to diagnose
    Posted: 18 Jan. 2017 at 8:19pm
Battery not charging. I have flashed the  generator,  checked battery terminals, Gen connections. Generator is Auto lite gdz 481? 7 I think. How do I connect.my tester to generator?

Right connector is marked "F". Middle appears to be ground, and.left.should be armature. Voltage regulator appears to be connected correctly.
Thanks for the help.
Rick Estes
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2017 at 9:57pm
One way to test generator is take the field and armature wire off at the generator. Then start the motor and using a volt meter connected to the armature post and ground and using a jumper wire from the field post to ground you should get around 7 volts at idle speed for a 6 volt generator. If you get that reading then the problem is in the wiring or regulator.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2017 at 10:44pm
Great! That's exactly the kind of thing I want to know. I'll try that tomorrow.
Thank you.
Rick Estes
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2017 at 11:16pm
Glad to be of a little help. When I restored my 47 I tested the generator on the bench using a cordless drill to rotate it for the same test. The reason for taking the wires off is when the field is grounded the generator will put out its max voltage according to the RPM and could burn out 6 volt light bulbs and etc..

Jim    
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2017 at 11:34pm
Ok. Well my 48 is 12 volt and so far the lights work. The ammeter shows discharge when I turn them on, but it never shows charge with lights off and engine running. Meter shows 11+ volts at battery with engine running.
Thanks again.
Rick Estes
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2017 at 12:37am
With the test I mentioned with a 12 volt generator you would get around 13 volts.

Jim
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2017 at 4:23am
WeeWilly, you really seem to know your stuff about electrical. Thanks for the info on how to test a condenser (on another thread). What about hooking a lead from the positive side of the bat to the armature grounding side to see if it turns like a motor. I always heard every generator is a motor and vice versa. thanks Joe Wadoyado
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2017 at 3:07pm
Has the generator been converted to 12V ?
BOULDER 48 2A
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2017 at 3:22pm
I don't know yet, but I assume Wee Willy's test will tell me that. Also I have been driving the Jeep sporadically for years.
Thanks for asking. I'm almost ready to test it now.
Rick Estes
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2017 at 3:53pm
The above test shows 15+ volts. Where to now?
Thanks!
Rick Estes
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2017 at 4:35pm
I would probably check to make sure the regulator is grounded...and the points are not seized.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2017 at 5:18pm
The points in the regulator? How do I check that?
Thanks.
Rick Estes
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2017 at 11:51pm
Ok. I took the cover off the VR, cleaned the points as well as I could with a strip of sandpaper, they are free, checked the ground to the fender, but still not charging. I am looking for a new VR but no luck so far.
Any other ideas?
Thank you.
Rick Estes
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2017 at 12:34am
Glad to hear that the gen. is OK. Check the wiring and make sure it is OK also and if it is the only thing left is a bad reg. I see them on ebay for sale and most venders have them also.

Jim
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2017 at 10:55am
We still do not know if the generator & regulator are 12 Volts.  Any 6 volt generator will read above 14 volts tested that way, at least all of mine have. What indications do you have that your units are 12 volt?

Note: A 6 volt generator will charge at 12 volts for a short time. It will get hot fairly fast though. The heat will probably de-solder the commutator.  AMHIK! It only took about 15 minutes for that to happen.

My guess as to your charging problem is that the system is still 6 Volt. The regulator thinks that the battery is fully charged, since it is over 9 Volts, & thus is not trying to charge it. Also the current limiting part of the regulator may be shutting the charging system off due to excessive current back feeding through the regulator. I may be wrong about that though.  

Do you have any numbers from any data plate on either the generator or the regulator? From those numbers, we can find out what voltage your system originally was.

It is not common for folks to rewind a generator to 12 volts. It is almost always cheaper to buy a 12 Volt generator. 

IHTH, Cpt Logger.

Edited by cpt logger - 21 Jan. 2017 at 11:05am
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2017 at 11:12am
Thanks to you both! The generator is an Auto lite GDZ 481_(7?). I'll see if I can read the other numbers on the metal tag. The regulator was replaced several years ago and I'll look for numbers on it also. I'm pretty sure I got a 12 volt regulator at that time because the Jeep had been "converted" to 12 volts when I got it, at least it had a 12 volt battery and a resistor between the battery and ammeter. And I've driven it sporadically for years with no problem. Well, not this problem!😉

Rick Estes
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2017 at 12:10pm
Are you sure that the resister is between the battery & the ammeter, not between the ammeter & the ignition switch, or some other load? There is no need for a resister between the ammeter & the battery. The ammeter does not care what the voltage is, it only cares about the amperage.

According to my information, an Auto lite GDZ-4817 is a 6 Volt generator. It was used on the CJs until about 1950.

eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2017 at 1:31pm
OK, with red face, here's what I found: the resistor is connected to the coil and either the ignition switch or the ammeter I think ( can't get under the dash to trace that wire right now). The coil is 6 volt. The regulator is 12 volt- "2192 12 volt neg/POS". The battery is 12 volt. Apparently the generator and starter are 6 volt. How did this Jeep run? When I got it I just tried to keep it going and out of the junk yard and didn't really need to dig into it. Obviously I should have!
So if you guys haven't given up on Scabby and me, I would like to hear your thoughts. Can I replace the battery and regulator with 6 volt ones and trash the resistor? I would go back to 6 volt headlights.
Thanks.
Rick Estes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>