Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'Nother Diesel Build Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2019 at 3:36am
Steering for the project will consist of classic GM style Saginaw steering box and a Cherokee column that was discussed earlier.  I wasn’t sure how to connect the two, but it turned out to be pretty simple.  I was able to use the lower joint from the Cherokee steering shaft and I had a Chevy Cavalier shaft I had saved and was able to use the upper joint from it.  I could have used the stock Cherokee for the whole thing if I had welded it, but I think this turned out better.  I bought a chunk of 1” double D tube from Summit and separated the outer stock tube from both of the stock shafts.  They were simple press fit, with lock screw on the Cav shaft and a piece of plastic on the Cherokee.  I cut the Summit tube to length.  It took some filing and sanding to get inner shafts to place, and I tack welded the one end and duplicated the lock screw on the other end.  All in all, I’m happy with the way it works.  It is solid and yet would collapse in a front end collision.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2019 at 3:48am
The plan to fit 35” tires and minimal lift means creating some space.  Up front I plan on high-lining the fenders.  I’m shamelessly copying a bunch of ideas from Brennan Metcalf and his “Rango” build.  He did a good job detailing exactly how he did his, so I won’t go into great detail.  To do it, 3” needs to be added to the bottom of the fender, the rear holes need redrilled 3” down and the attachment to the grill needs redone. 

'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2019 at 3:59am
Not sure how I got that last pic upside down.  Anyhow, the attachment from the fender to the frame needs repositioned.  I am going try a plate that attaches to the stock frame holes and a couple of nuts welded on the back side.  These plates will get trimmed down 

Edited by bobevans - 05 Jan. 2019 at 4:02am
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2019 at 4:05am

Bottom of the fender where I am tacking on the additional 3" of metal. I'm welding on a piece of 1/4" round "bar" to copy the original look/reinforcement.

Edited by bobevans - 06 Jan. 2019 at 5:33am
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2019 at 2:20am

More body work. Slow, painful body work.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2019 at 2:23am

Aftermarket Honda Civic radiator tucked up into the grill.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2019 at 10:17am
Nice work hi-lining the fenders. Well done! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2019 at 6:07pm
    Looking Good !

Yep, my kids are gone from the nest also, and I have too many 4x's.
But, on the positive note, the modifications keep us in-sync with welding.

I'm liking your Low-CG approach for more fender-well clearance.
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2019 at 3:54am
I thought I better do something to the project so I can post up here, otherwise the thread will be so far buried I'll never find it again. I started by cleaning the rodent feces off the cowl, then I thought starting to ease back into to the project would be a good idea.
I think it's sort of silly to name your Jeep, but I like silly. The Kubota engine was out of a refrigeration trailer, sometimes called a "reefer". It seems mad to try and do what I'm doing with this, so "Reefer Madness" it is.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2019 at 3:58am
Ok, we have a name, so now let's do something more constructive. I've been accumulating parts for a little while for the throttle set up. The pedal is, surprise, surprise, from an XJ Cherokee. It is designed to bolt to a vertical firewall and our mounting spot is angled. We cut the pedal and re-welded at a new angle. I actually tried a pedal out of a Polaris side by side first, but it seemed too complicated
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2019 at 4:04am

The gas pedal I went with is, surprise, surprise, a Cherokee XJ pedal. It is intended to bolt to a vertical firewall and our mounting spot is angled, so it was necessary to cut and re-weld the shaft. I tried a Polaris Ranger pedal which was angled, but it seemed too complicated
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2019 at 4:10am

The throttle cable is a neat little cable from a company called "Lipstick Performance". I made sure to tell my wife that we would be getting a charge to the credit card from Lipstick Performance and it really was just Jeep parts!
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2019 at 4:17am

On the other side of the firewall I decided to make a bracket to use one of the bellhousing bolts. The Kubota has sort of a weird set up that needs to be pushed rather than pulled like a standard carb. To do that, I made a bracket that uses the two big, rear facing studs on the side of the engine. They will hold a piece of plate with bell crank from Summit Racing. The edge of this bracket will also hold the stop cable to shut the engine off.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2019 at 2:11pm
Looking good!ClapClap

in reference to the name of your project, I joke with people here in Colorado that since 'reefer' is legal, my Jeep has a 'reefer' engine....SmileTongueClap
Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2019 at 3:36am
More progress this weekend. I had a buddy swap over the outlet on the Honda radiator so now it exits on the driver's side of the engine, right across from where the engine outlet is. The top inlet on the rad is right in the middle, so I don't anticipate a problem with the internal flow of the rad. I also picked up a CJ5 roll bar. This will from the basis for my roll cage. We'll tie it into the frame and add a front hoop by the windshield frame. Wish I could get as fancy as jPet and actually make the frame the structural front hoop. The only thing I had to do to the bar was trim off the back corner to match the curve of the Jeep and then put a ratchet strap around the bar to suck it in enough to fit under the flanges. I also had to cut out the stock pockets for the soft top middle hoop. Anyone still reading this post, PM me if you want the pockets and they're yours.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2019 at 3:39am
Cardboard cut out of the shape of the back corner of the tub
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2019 at 3:56am
The other big project this weekend was the power steering. I played with several
options and bought the GM Saginaw ("can of ham") steering pump and reservoir. It was a really tight fit with the alternator. I couldn't find a double V-belt pulley for the alternator and didn't want to spend $130 for a double crank pulley, so I begged, borrowed and swiped a double V water pump pulley from a buddy who took it off of a late 70s CJ. The only problem was enlarging the center bore hole - I didn't have a big enough drill bit, so I used the stock pulley as a guide and got the grinder cranking. Lots of eyeballing and measuring with a Vernier caliper to keep it round and centered. Turned out pretty well. Next problem was the can o' ham was just too big. I ended up with a GM type II pump from a Pontiac Sunbird that has a remote reservoir.

I got the double pulley for the pump so I would have more mounting options. I'm going to bolt it to the block using the forward 12 x 1.25 holes. These are the holes that Greg Margison mounts his motor mounts to and I originally cut out a plate to fit these holes. I'm going to weld a piece of 1/4" angle to this plate. On the angle I will have the pivot bolt down low and cut an arc for the other mounting bolt so that I can swing the pump out to tighten the belt.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2019 at 4:09am
Last project was a battery tray, which took WAY more time than it should have. I played with several different possibilities for mounting the battery, from under the pass seat, to the firewall where the later CJs were to low down on the frame on the pass side. In the end I went right back to the stock location. I welded a piece of angle to the front shock mounting tower (out of a late 80's CJ that I bolt to the frame). I want to be able to take the fenders and whatnot off relatively easily, so the battery tray bolts to the shock supports and to the frame where the supports are fastened there.

I designed this thing to fit an Optima so I can bolt it in using the shape of the base. It fits perfectly, so that means that Optima will likely soon change the shape of their base so my tray won't work anymore.

Not gonna be many more weekends this nice where the big cutting and grinding can be done outside on the roll bar sawhorses.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>