Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Novak T90 Master Rebuild Kit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Novak T90 Master Rebuild Kit
    Posted: 12 Jan. 2022 at 8:43pm

I managed to score a Novak Master Rebuild Kit off eBay for $50 including shipping. Parts for the T90 Transmission (novak-adapt.com)

I was concerned that some of the parts may have been swapped out when I saw Omix part numbers for some of the small parts. I contacted Novak and they confirmed that the small parts in the kit were from Omix. No big deal, it is just a couple pieces, but I was surprised when they indicated that the second gear was also from Omix.

With prices rising and quality parts getting harder to find, I already ordered just about every other component as NOS US made military surplus from QTM as well as a surplus supplier I have delt with before. A couple parts from QTM were recent non-US manufacture but I trust are quality. I think the cluster gear is from Israel.

If I'm going to rebuild it, I just want to replace everything. I already know there is pitting from water intrusion. 

I have been collecting parts for a while when I stumble across a good price. I have one of QTM’s surplus military shift towers and a bunch of NOS engine parts. I don’t plan to rebuild this transmission anytime soon but since everything is going up, I would rather buy them now and have them sit in the attic.

My concern now is second gear. Most of us have a negative experience with an Omix part. For those who have installed this kit, what was your experience? Did you, or do you wish, that the Omix gear not be used. Any other issues with the kit?

Thanks,

Micah

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2022 at 8:49pm
An old picture when I first got her running and changed fluids. 

Micah

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2022 at 9:03pm
Man you basically stole that rebuild! Did you leave the man his shirt at least?
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2022 at 9:06pm
A fool and his money are soon parted. 

The guy listed all kinds of odds and ends. I don't think he took a minute to find out what the kits were going for. Novak Parts for the T90 Transmission | eBay

Sometimes you win and sometimes you get screwed. I have some junk up in the attic too. 

Micah

Edited by Steelyard Blues - 12 Jan. 2022 at 9:13pm

jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2022 at 2:28pm
I bought this kit a year or so ago.  It was very high quality - IMO.  But I had already purchased a new 2nd gear from www.armyjeepparts.com because I knew it needed to be replaced before I found out there was a full kit.  George is rock solid and sold me a NoS.  There is something about taking those parts out of their original packaging - covered in cosmoline, and installing them.  Very satisfying.

I don't remember the price, but I know whatever it cost was worth the peace of mind.

General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2022 at 2:38pm
I recently got a exhaust gasket set from Greece still in the original ford paper package all in stellar condition.... it is satisfying 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2022 at 2:54pm
I would point out that IF there is going to be a problem with a T-90 transmission, it will first show up as a problem with second gear. While it is true that the main reason for this is a problem with the endplay in the mainshaft during a rebuild, I personally would want the best quality second gear available in my transmission. You will pay a little more for quality, but consider the PITA that taking a defective gear out of a freshly rebuilt transmission that was just put back into service and failed. OMIX-ADA gears might be OK, but I have seen enough problems with their parts not to take a chance that they are OK. Omix-ADA quality control from their vendors is non-existant. Omix-ADA does not manufacture parts, they market them. They do not check the quality of the parts they market and allow almost fit parts to be sold. Dimensional problems, wrong threads, etc.

Novak is using Omix-ADA parts in their line to fill in the gaps in coverage because historically reliable parts from gear companies are getting hard to source now. Perhaps Novak is doing the quality control checks that they purchase from Omix-ADA, and if they are I might consider purchases from Novak. If Novak is smart they would be sure of their vendors reliability. If I could be assured that Omix-ADA had a good quality control program in place for their vendors I might not be so leery of their replacement parts. I have been burned too many times by Omix-ADA parts that are not up to OEM specifications as to dimensions or in the case of gearing the Rockwell hardness of the gear teeth.

Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary...

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 13 Jan. 2022 at 2:57pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2022 at 5:27pm
I am about to rebuild a T-90 and finding out that Novak is using Omix-ADA parts in their kits really turns me off. What is next ? If they are using the imported gear where else are they skimping. There are some quality gears produced in Israel but they probably cost more.

I will be sourcing my parts elsewhere.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Siskiwit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siskiwit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2022 at 7:06pm
I found out that after rebuilding my T90 that after it was all said and done with the Novak parts that it might be more cost effective to purchase a complete rebuilt one from Herm. I enjoyed doing the work and found satisfaction in doing it myself but for the price I think it would have been a wash. Maybe I’m wrong in my thinking but I don’t know. 
'48 2a - '46 2a - '54 3b - '70 cj5 and a bunch of accessories.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2022 at 8:03am
They are just too easy to work on for me to feel right about paying someone else to rebuild one. 

I guess it is my Scottish blood, but the Novak kit seems a bit over priced to me anyway. I don't mind paying for top quality, but Omix-Ada parts don't fill the bill for me. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2022 at 2:35pm
So, I think I will find a NOS second gear just to be safe. I think the synchros are also Omix. I have a new hub and syncros already coming from QTM. I'll put the gear and synchros on eBay and hopefully get back what I paid for the whole kit. For what I paid for the kit, I cannot complain, but I would be disappointed to find Omix parts in there if I was paying full price. Novak does not indicate this on the website.

If anyone needs it, the part number for the sealed front bearing is NACHI 6208-2NSE9NR.

Micah

TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2022 at 10:36am
Why not contact Novak and ask them about the parts origin?
BOULDER 48 2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2022 at 12:38pm
I did. That is how I know some of the small parts and second gear is Omix. See first post. I sent the request before I purchased. I sent the email because I could see what looked like an Omix part number in the eBay photo. It took them a while to respond. By then, I purchased because it was too good of a deal to pass up. 

Now that I have it, there are parts in Omix packages. The synchros are not packaged.

They did not specifically say the synchos were too, but I suspect they are when they indicated some of the small parts were. I already have another set coming from QTM which was included with their synchro hub.

Micah

Edited by Steelyard Blues - 15 Jan. 2022 at 12:39pm

refrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote refrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2022 at 5:10pm
I put a Novak rebuild kit in my transmission last year. The detent balls and springs for the shift tower were smaller than what I removed, so I put the old ones back in. The three little “blocks” that fit in the synchronizer were too large to fit. Some work with a file fixed that. Reassembled and now runs with no problems. I would recommend others to rebuild the shift tower first before you tear into the trans. I think that would have cured my second gear pop out, but I already had all the parts in hand so I did the whole thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply