Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oakes airfilter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oakes airfilter
    Posted: 19 Feb. 2022 at 2:35pm
I always wondered where the Oakes airfilters were made and why did they use the Oakes name. I knew I had car manufacturing in my background but if anyone has more info I would be glad to hear from you. My middle name is Barrett. They made stage coaches in NYC in the late 1800's. I do not know if it was earlier. There was rumor that it all started with ships. When vehicles were first made many manufacturers used separate coach builders. So Barrett made coaches for cars and trucks. On GM cars the door sill had a picture of a stage coach and first read Barrett, then Fisher Barrett and later Fisher. A Barrett woman married an Oakes. The Oakes in my family were printers. They printed for Barrett. 
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES, THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2022 at 3:43pm
Bill, VERY cool history.

I'll post any other Oakes history or documents I run across.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2022 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Bill, VERY cool history.

I'll post any other Oakes history or documents I run across.

Yes, very interesting, thank you for posting πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½

LeeπŸ˜‰
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
β€œIf you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Oakes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2022 at 7:53pm
Thanks guys. Get this my grandfather actually dated the first Miss America.! 
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES, THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2022 at 7:56pm
Those air filters were made by the Houdaille-Hershey Corporation, Oakes Products Division.
Oakes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2022 at 7:59pm
Would love to find what happened to the Oakes Product Division. I moved to VA and have met two Oakes'. Also met a Hatfield. My grandmother's oldest sister was walking behind an old man down a wagon trail and the old man stopped grabbed her and said no one walks behind Devil Anse. That's the guy who shot the McCoy boy. My family are founding father's of VA and NY.   Come to think of it someone should shoot us!!!Big smile

Edited by Oakes - 19 Feb. 2022 at 8:05pm
 Post Reply Post Reply