Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

OD boot kit from Herm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OD boot kit from Herm
    Posted: 17 Jan. 2019 at 2:16pm
Herm sells a special boot and retaining ring for a twin stick D18 and OD lever. See below.

Firstly, has anyone bought and/or installed this? Is it good quality and worth the money?

Secondly, what are the alternatives? What do people use for an OD boot if they stick with the traditional 2 lever boot for the D18?
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2019 at 2:42pm

I used this kit I got from Walcks... I think it was like $25 for the boot and the steel ring. Not fancy but it works and is easy on the wallet! 

Edited by Millennium falcon - 17 Jan. 2019 at 2:44pm
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2019 at 3:15pm
Mike those kits, whether from Herm or others, are pretty much the standard out there. You will be required to modify your shift tower cover to make this all work. The notch is pretty much the same and we all had to do it. A picture of this procedure can be found with a search. Now ol' JPet did a really cool modification where he made the OD shifter come out of the PTO hole on the floor. That can also be found with an appropriate search. You seem to like challenges.....good luck!Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2019 at 4:17pm
The Shift boot shown in the OP is made in house here in Aumsville OR. By an outfit called JB Fabrication They are a Ford Bronco modification shop business etc. I been to the shop the owner is a very nice very creative guy. The kind of guy who takes vehicles to SEMA to compete. We talked for maybe an hour. His in house price was the same as on eBay or from Herm. I just cut out the shipping. The shop is maybe 10 miles from my house.

I have one I am debating using. They are very well made but two things the rubber is not smooth it has a texture to it. And its actually kind of huge.

That said if you happen to have anti Rattle clips on your Transfer case The small stock boots won't fit around them and if you do stretch them out the edges of the clips will end up cutting the rubber. These are big enough to cover the clips.

There is a very good chance I will end up using the boot. I have a couple other options that are smaller I want to try first but I think I will end up with the JB Fab boot in the end.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
redrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2019 at 7:12pm
That is my jeep in Herm's picture.  They work great and it is the best and only way to cover the hole that fit my picky perspective.Smile
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid.”
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2019 at 10:38pm
A thumb and two fingers of a leather glove.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2019 at 11:05pm
I made one from vinyl. I think I got the plans from jpet, he had the original leather boot pattern and added/ modified a third boot for the overdrive.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
banjobees View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banjobees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2019 at 11:56pm
Some years ago bkreutz posted photos of some leather ones he made and since then, both Walcks and Kaiser Willys have been selling leather shift boots.
https://walcks4wd.com/weather-seals/shift-boots.html
https://www.kaiserwillys.com/nsearch/?q=leather%20shift%20boots

I bought a transfer case shift boot and 2 transmission shift boots for my CJ2A.
Expensive, but should last forever.
The leather was a little stiff but neatsfoot oil made them supple enough to work into place.

Dave R.

'46 CJ2A
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2019 at 8:06am
Thanks for the many responses! 

I have a much better idea of the options out there.

Herms kit does look "solid", but I guess my reservations are that it is very big and looks modern, in a way. I might be being a bit picky, but somehow it looks like it belongs in a truck, not a jeep.

I found the Walcks option online:

I never understood how this is supposed to work. Looking at Milleniums pics above it seems like this is simply placed over the existing D18 boot, ie leaving the D18 boot in place and this goes over the top. Is that correct? OD lever goes through the triangular hole and D18 levers go through the ellipsoid hole?

I have a perfectly good rubber boot for the T90 and for the D18, so I guess I will not be going the leather route. The Walcks option, if i've understood it correctly, might be the best for me.

Thumbs Up 
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2019 at 1:10pm
Herm used to sell the one on the blue Jeep. Most of us have that one. The one that looks “truck like” I guess is the new version.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2019 at 1:15pm
Yes, you got it. The original boot is used. And the overdrive boot just slides over the lever. It’s not fancy but it’s cheap, it works and I don’t think it looks bad. 
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2019 at 1:20pm
I've ordered a kit from Walcks. Thanks for your advice on this all.

Dave - incoming.....!
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2019 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Millennium falcon Millennium falcon wrote:

Yes, you got it. The original boot is used. And the overdrive boot just slides over the lever. It’s not fancy but it’s cheap, it works and I don’t think it looks bad. 

Seth - I think your's looks the cleanest.  If I get an OD, that's what I'll do.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2019 at 4:04pm
Thanks! I like it because it reminds me
Of some of the old ads I’ve seen from warn from back when they were advertised as an “option”
 Post Reply Post Reply