Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Off topic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Off topic
    Posted: 15 Jan. 2019 at 10:36am
I know people think I am a bit off.
When I do road trips I drive at night. Most of the road lice are off the road so it's just me and the semis and we play well together. Being an insomniac works.
uncamonkey
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2019 at 4:37pm
Cool dense air at night makes for better power as well.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2019 at 5:50pm
Yeah, I used to drive semis and know the bit. As I said I can play well with others and they seem to understand it as well. We all seem to adjust for what is going on. I was heading into a construction zone and putting along in 2nd with a few cars following me all wanting to push me up the grade or pass. I looked my mirror and a guy in a semi is doing the exact same thing. You can figure out travel speeds and adjust for them so you don't need to stop.
uncamonkey
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2019 at 6:50pm
My only problem with night driving is unseen wildlife rushing onto the road and in to my vehivle.
BOULDER 48 2A
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2019 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

I know people think I am a bit off.
When I do road trips I drive at night. Most of the road lice are off the road so it's just me and the semis and we play well together. Being an insomniac works.

When I drove from Ohio to Oregon, the last 2 days were night driving and I felt safer. The truckers have CB's and could let each other know that some old Jeep was going 40 mph on the Highway. At least I thought they would be

Being an insomniac is tiring after awhile
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2019 at 9:36pm
Dennis they were probably talking about you all along your route. We talk about everything from cute seat covers to morons that look like they just left Walmart through the back door. A Willys Jeep would certainly be talked about I know cause guys have mentioned them to while on the road as well as any other cool or unusual auto/truck etc.

Unkamonkey when we are working on the freeway nigh paving and have the long tapers setup to squeeze traffic into a single lane. And the A holes all try to get right to the end of the taper and push their way in. As we dump truck drivers come up the freeway we tend to straddle the two lanes forcing the morons to get over sooner. Makes the traffic flow so much better.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2019 at 10:42pm
Uncamonkey, we know that you are at least a bit off. However, I do not think that driving long distances at night is a silly thing. I always try to drive at night when I travel a long ways. When it is just me & the truckers, we all play nice & my stress level is way down.

The only drawback to driving at night is that I do not get to see some of the gorgeous scenery that we have "out west" here. 

While I no linger own a CB, I used to have one in all of my long distance rigs. I loved just listening to the drivers talk back & forth. One can gain some good information about road conditions that way. Other information can be had as well.

Mark, I have been known to straddle the lanes in that situation as well, but only if I am driving a full sized pickup or a bigger rig. Never on my motorcycle. It does help the traffic flow.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2019 at 11:01pm
Just in the last year or so I have decided that, for me, driving at night is silly and foolish, resulting in unintended consequences.

Of course, most of you are smarter and more experienced than me so this would never happen to you.

My bullet proof Superman shirt that I used for night driving has been retired because it didn’t work.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2019 at 11:28pm
Stan you obviously have an angel watching over you and your superman shirt. Having worked midnights for 13 of my 30yrs around a flightline, I found the time just before sunrise while heading home to be the most difficult for me! 

Here in the Atlanta area we are the southeast distributor for driving morons, especially the "divebombers" that cut in at the last second only to cause the everyone else to brake hard to gain back our safety space.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2019 at 12:23am
Nothing weird about night driving, Personally, I like to leave out in the wee hours, like i used to do when i drove truck. It's not unusual for the Mrs and I to leave at midnight - 100 on a road trip. My body seems to snap right back into truck driver mode. 

Night driving isn't for me anymore. We may go to 9-10 pm if we are feeling ambitious. But typically we stop and rest and just take our time now. 

I threw my CB out the window many years ago! LOL
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2019 at 3:58am
Whenever I rode my motorcycle a long distance, I always liked to ride through small towns late at night.  I don't know why, I just liked it. 

I drove my YJ back to Ohio for Thanksgiving in 1999; I left Colorado Springs about 8 PM in a snowstorm and went over to Limon to pick up I-70.  When I got on the Interstate, I was driving the only vehicle heading east.  I saw plenty of cars going west, but nobody else going east for at least four hours.  I wondered if everyone going west knew something I didn't...  Wacko 

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 17 Jan. 2019 at 4:00am
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2019 at 4:50am
If you were out on a bike in the snow you have more huevos than I do. I sold them all about 3 years ago.
uncamonkey
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2019 at 6:04am
CBs I guess they are very differently looked upon in my world. As a construction Dump truck and pup driver. In a normal work day I might be on the CB as much as 15min an hour. Be it with a gravel pit loader operator or scale master (typically a pretty young woman) or with Asphalt plant operators or maybe just bullsh*tting with other drivers. Perhaps the most important thing we use them for is talking to our pilot cars and flaggers. Which can actually be life and death. Working where we have to cross lanes or in areas with very limited sight line distance we have to know what's coming. The CB works so well for this as instant communication with everyone on the channel.

Going to be a souped up Cobra 29 either the older side mic I have or a new 29 LTD depending on how the side mic fits in my proposed radio console. In CHUG as well as a 10 meter or GMRS radio and the little Pioneer digital stereo receiver.

Edited by Mark W. - 17 Jan. 2019 at 6:10am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2019 at 4:54pm
Very little chatter on the CB here in NE Wyo.  I keep mine in the pickup because it has the NOA weather channels in it.  Nice to know what the weather is going to be for the day. 
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2019 at 7:31am
For three years my only transportation was a 1971 Triumph Tiger or a Bonneville. I rode those things through all kinds of weather. Snow in the Sierra Nevada & Cascade mountains are a given in the winter & often was present in spring & autumn.

I often rode at night. Sometimes, I would just go for a ride & not return to my bed for a few nights. I loved it.

Like Ol' Unreliable, " Whenever I rode my motorcycle a long distance, I always liked to ride through small towns late at night.  I don't know why, I just liked it."

That time of night was also my favorite time to travel long distances, especially in the desert. I always got a longing feeling & wondered what the folks living in those houses felt about themselves & their lifestyles. I always hoped that all was well with them.

Hell, you-all have me wanting to get out one of my bikes & go for a ride. It is half past midnight now & snowing lightly right now. However, I know that we had freezing rain this afternoon. I will just sit here & reminisce. No sense in trying to cheat death tonight.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2019 at 9:38am
You do what you gotta do. A friend got home from CA with his Christmas gift to himself in the back of his truck. A Norton Commando. I believe it is bike 13. He has had to resort to parking bikes in his living room.
I may be a bit off and people think I am the biggest idiot they have ever met or the smartest guy out there. Personally, I feel I just bounce across the extremes.
uncamonkey
 Post Reply Post Reply