Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ohio Fall Colors - Oct 19th, 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2019 at 5:55am

Gents and Ladies,

My crew and I, 3 of which are newbies to flatties and have been successfully converted over (some discussion was had at dinner on if that was my plan to begin with) had an excellent time. I'm terrible with names but thanks to gentlemen who donated a spare clutch return spring to the DJ and helped when the DJ was converted back to 2 wheel drive unfortunately later in the day (I'll post pictures of the front diff's carnage once it I get it apart).

I took about 370ish pictures before the group picture on top of the hill. We have probably 100 or so between our cell phones. I'm going work getting  few posted here and then I'll probably create a new thread in the Jeep photo's/stories section an post a link here.

EDIT: I uploaded most of the pictures to my facebook page, the other guys will add theirs to this album over next few days. Once those get added I can post some here or in a different thread. you are more than welcome to grab the pictures of your Jeep if I was able to get it.

Edited by Ruffy - 20 Oct. 2019 at 7:18am
Current Jeep Fleet
A few 2a’s
A couple of 3B’s
Couple of FC’s
And a DJ3A
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2019 at 2:34pm
I’m not on Facebook. Hope to see lots of pics posted on this forum
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Ruffy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2019 at 8:33pm
Jpet, you don’t need a Facebook to view those pictures. There around 380 pictures in that album after going through them all. I’ll be working on moving several over to here over the next couple of days. 

Start of the day:

Current Jeep Fleet
A few 2a’s
A couple of 3B’s
Couple of FC’s
And a DJ3A
Ruffy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2019 at 8:53pm

Current Jeep Fleet
A few 2a’s
A couple of 3B’s
Couple of FC’s
And a DJ3A
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2019 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by Ruffy Ruffy wrote:

Jpet, you don’t need a Facebook to view those pictures. ...
When I click on your link, it won’t go past the Facebook login. Thanks for posting what you have . Look like fun!

Edit: looks like John’s back is doing better

Edited by jpet - 20 Oct. 2019 at 9:12pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2019 at 2:03am
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2019 at 2:11am
The turn around
Old Road

The old Church in the woods - Lunch stop

A little fun in the mud

Trail Clinic

Refueling half way up a the hill on Millers Road.

Stev
Ruffy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2019 at 2:13am
I stand corrected, apparently I was still logged in when I was testing the link to see if it would work for non Facebook users. I started a new thread in the Jeep stories/photos section where I’ll be upload ping the bulk of the pictures we (my group) took. Others are welcome to add to that thread if they wish

Link to the thread
Current Jeep Fleet
A few 2a’s
A couple of 3B’s
Couple of FC’s
And a DJ3A
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2019 at 3:49am

A little write up of the 2019 Ohio Fall Colors Run.

Thanks to everyone who attended or tried to attend.

We had 8 flatfenders and a 1954 M38a1 that slipped into the mix.  16 or so people attended.  The weather was ideal.  Mid 50's to 70ies with no rain.  Trail Roads were dry.  Leaves had started to turn and we had some color this year. 

We started the trip on Albright Rd.  The water was low in the ford and the hill climb was pretty easy with the dry conditions.  It still would have been advisable to fold the windshields, so they did not risk damage.

We then headed for Lady Run Rd.  This was the area we had the most challenges with last year.  This year we drove down it as opposed to trying to climb it.  The photo of John's 1951 into the hill happened on Lady Run.  Other than that we all made it through with no major issues.

Then out of the blue there was a call for trail clinic to deal with a lost clutch return spring.  John saved the day and produced a spare spring.

We drove then to the old Church for lunch and then up the creek road towards the old clear cut.  There was some difficulty climbing  to the top and somewhere along the climb Steve's 1946 fried its voltage regulator.  It did not come back to life after being tapped on with Ruff's "magic hammer", so Steve ran the rest of the trip on his Optima battery.  There was an opportunity for someone to test the depth of a little mud.  Two vehicles made attempts and both had to be strapped.

The climb to clear cut over look turn around was steep but the dry conditions really helped - Must have been Lady luck this year the 4 wives on the trip.  We stop there for a goup picture.  From there we headed back to the church and we let the new guys lead us down.  It was noted that the DJ that had been converter to 4-wheel drive with a Dana 25 had a clacking noise coming from its Dana 25.  But it still ran in 4 wheel and we were miles from the trailers, so the decision was made to just drive it.  From the church we headed up to Miller's Rd. 

Millers Rd. starts as a creek and then becomes a natural gas access road.  It is a pretty good road, but the big hill has some ruts. Most of the group stayed to the left side.  A few of us went to the right and gearing made short work of it.  Halfway up the hill one of the Cj2A's ran out of gas and had to be refueled.  At the top of the hill the DJ's Dana25 locked up.  The solution was to pull the drive flanges and tape up the open holes to keep dirt out of the bearings.

From there, we headed to the upper section of Lady Run above the gate keeper hill.  At one point we had pull the DJ up part of a hill that was impassable without working four wheel drive.  That strapping operation was a little odd.  But we got through it.  After that, it was evident that backtracking Albright Rd. was out of the plan.  We headed to the hard surface road to return to the starting point.

All together we were out about 7 hours. About 90% of what we traveled was unmaintained roads, some better than others.  We only encountered one group of Razor drivers during the trip. 

It was great to get together with old friend and make some new ones.  It was also great to see some younger people with old Jeeps!

God willing, we will be back next year on the third weekend in October.  October 17, 2020.  You can never tell what you are in for on this trip.  If it has been wet, it can be a big challenge.  If it rains, it can be a winch fest.

Edited by Stev - 21 Oct. 2019 at 4:09am
Stev
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2019 at 2:58am
Wow, I had a blast.  That was the most fun Jeepin' I have had in while (and I am at a Jeep Jamboree this week!).  The only carnage we suffered was after pulling back onto the main road, someone's electric line or TV cable that was stretched across the road caught my Jeep while it was on the trailer!  Bent the windshield frame, shattered the glass on popped it onto the front seats.  And just as I was pulling out, Stev said "don't you want to fold the windshield down?".  Nah, the hotel is only about 15 minutes away.  Ooops.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2019 at 1:23pm
Bob,  It was great to see you and meet Elaine.  We will have to do a better job with the dinner the night before next year.  Crazy to hear about your windshield.  Glad to hear you made it home safe.

Stev
19willys51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19willys51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2019 at 1:54am
Thanks to all who showed up. It was a pleasure to meet everyone. I had a great time wheeling with all of you. Looking forward to next year. I took some driving video I am editing and will post later. Again thank you to all.
Robert
19willys51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19willys51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2019 at 1:04am
hey everyone. I am finally getting some videos posted on you tube. They are listed under. Willys jeep Tar Hollow. I am new at filming but hope you all find them interesting. When I figure out how to do alink I will.I am working on getting them all posted. Thank you.
Robert
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2019 at 7:32pm
Great pics. Looks challenging, especially that mud hole.
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2019 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by 19willys51 19willys51 wrote:

hey everyone. I am finally getting some videos posted on you tube. They are listed under. Willys jeep Tar Hollow. I am new at filming but hope you all find them interesting. When I figure out how to do alink I will.I am working on getting them all posted. Thank you.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Ruffy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2020 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Bob,  It was great to see you and meet Elaine.  We will have to do a better job with the dinner the night before next year.  Crazy to hear about your windshield.  Glad to hear you made it home safe.

Stev,
Were you Towing your Flatty with the new JT? There was another who also was towing with a newer Grand Cherokee. It’s getting close to upgrading the family vehicle and I’d like to get something that will tow one stock flatty. 
Current Jeep Fleet
A few 2a’s
A couple of 3B’s
Couple of FC’s
And a DJ3A
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2020 at 6:37pm
Yes,  The Gladiator 2020 does a great job towing a Flat Fender on a trailer.  Ours is a Sport "S" with the max tow package.  Max tow gets you 1,500 pounds of payload and the trailer spec is 7,500 pound.

We are planning on the third weekend in October for this years ride.  October 17, 2020

Stev
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2020 at 2:56am
That truck looks pretty cool. I was the guy towing with a 2017 Grand Cherokee. I have the 5.7L V8 and it tows really well. I towed my JK with that rig out west a couple of times. Gas mileage was poor (as low as 10 mpg - avg around 12 while towing), but doing 70 + mph was easy.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12