Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil canister connections leaking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NealzWorld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil canister connections leaking
    Posted: 16 Nov. 2019 at 3:16pm
At the output of the oil canister, there is a brass connection then the flex hose that goes down to the timing cover.   Seem to have a small leak here somewhere when the engine is running.  

Do these connections need any teflon tape or anything? How tight should you tighten these aluminum to brass connections?  I've already stripped out several of them and had to reorder.  

Also, it almost seems like there could be a leak at the bottom section of the canister, above the connections.   Is the canister two pieces?   Could there be a leak between them? 

1947 CJ2A #88589
Richard J View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2019 at 4:55pm
use Permatex #2 non hardening on the fittings
Richard
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2019 at 6:20pm
The hoses should have inverted flair on the ends and require no sealant, the brass adapters that fit the housing do not require sealant either but a bit of #2 permatex would not hurt. If it is a stock settup there should not be any aluminum fittings to strip out.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2019 at 3:06am
Where are you getting the aluminium fittings? Are they aircraft fittings? Perhaps with a part number like AN816-3A? If so there is your problem. The brass, (SAE), fittings have a 45 degree sealing surface, while the Aircraft fittings, (AN), have a 37 degree sealing surface. They will never seal to each other, no matter how tight you get them. 

You would need to either get all aircraft fittings or all SAE fittings, including the hoses. For ease of availability & for ease of remembering, I suggest using all SAE fittings.
NealzWorld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NealzWorld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2019 at 1:27pm
I bought the hose from Kaiser Willys.   The brass fitting, which is inverted flare, I picked up at my local hardware store.  

I bought the fittings for the inlet hose at the same store.   same inverted flare, but elbows.  Havent had any leaks from those 

1947 CJ2A #88589
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2019 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by NealzWorld NealzWorld wrote:

I bought the hose from Kaiser Willys.

Don’t tell me, let me guess - Omix-ADA?   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2019 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Bruce never passes a chance up to put a divot into Omix-ADA.

I'm at that point also...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Richard J View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2019 at 10:16pm
they deserve it.
Richard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NealzWorld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2019 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

I don't know what that is.  
1947 CJ2A #88589
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2019 at 12:42am
Omix-ADA is a brand of replacement jeep parts and accessories that are mostly made in China. They have the reputation of resembling OEM parts but sometimes the fit is not good. Wrong threads. Wrong size. Resembles nothing like OEM at times. Omix-ADA quality control is either non-existent or hit and miss.

The problem is that sometimes Omix-ADA is the only choice for some parts. Other parts may have several suppliers.

I have done my fair share of modifying Omix-ADA parts to make them work, but I am fortunate enough to have a machine shop available in my garage. Others are not so fortunate.

My point is that the purchaser of Omix-ADA parts shouldn't have to modify a part to make it fit.

Bruce, myself, and others on the Forum often call foul and question the source of a part when someone complains about a part not working. More often than not it is an Omix-ADA part.

Right, Bruce...?
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NealzWorld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2019 at 12:53am
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

Omix-ADA is a brand of replacement jeep parts and accessories that are mostly made in China. They have the reputation of resembling OEM parts but sometimes the fit is not good. Wrong threads. Wrong size. Resembles nothing like OEM at times. Omix-ADA quality control is either non-existent or hit and miss.

The problem is that sometimes Omix-ADA is the only choice for some parts. Other parts may have several suppliers.

I have done my fair share of modifying Omix-ADA parts to make them work, but I am fortunate enough to have a machine shop available in my garage. Others are not so fortunate.

My point is that the purchaser of Omix-ADA parts shouldn't have to modify a part to make it fit.

Bruce, myself, and others on the Forum often call foul and question the source of a part when someone complains about a part not working. More often than not it is an Omix-ADA part.

Right, Bruce...?

O wow.  Good to know.   I bought the brass fittings from Ace Hardware.  The hose I picked up off of Kaiser Willys.   Never had any problems with any parts from them before, could be the culprit tho.  
1947 CJ2A #88589
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2019 at 12:57am
[/QUOTE]

O wow.  Good to know.   I bought the brass fittings from Ace Hardware.  The hose I picked up off of Kaiser Willys.   Never had any problems with any parts from them before, could be the culprit tho.  
[/QUOTE]

Never a problem with kiaser willys parts? That is a miricle!!
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2019 at 1:56am
Originally posted by Joe DeYoung Joe DeYoung wrote:

[/QUOTE] <

[/QUOTE]

Never a problem with kiaser willys parts? That is a miricle!!
[/QUOTE]

Either he is chuck full of luck, or he has not bought much from them.
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2019 at 2:35pm
From the perspective of ordering parts vs. leakage:

I only order from KW when I have to (price) but ran into a problem with the outlet hose being too short or too long (this was after using multiple vendors).  Yep, I even tried a L-Head hose on my F-head since the "correct for your jeep" hose was too long (I later found out that vendor confessed that they supplied hoses for the F-Head intended to be installed without the OEM 45* fitting on the bottom of the canister (this wasn't annotated on their website).  So I shopped over at RFJP.  He had the correct hose.  It does not leak.

Suggestion:  Don't rule out military vendors.  They seem to strive for authenticity on many of their parts.  Just shop around. 
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2019 at 2:46pm
Your local hose shop can make one up in about 10 minutes that won't leak and won't turn to mush in a few months.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2019 at 3:42pm
I have just bought off the shelf oil hose and barbed fittings from my local parts store and made my own.
BOULDER 48 2A
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2019 at 3:52pm
I've purchased this set from QTM Parts in the past.  Made in the USA.  Nice hoses...

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NealzWorld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2019 at 2:14pm
It wasn't the hoses or connections, they were all correct.  Turned out to be the canister itself.  Bought a new one, from Kaiser Willys, problem solved.   

1947 CJ2A #88589
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>