Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

oil filter high pressure, not passing through

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oil filter high pressure, not passing through
    Posted: 31 May 2023 at 1:09pm
Gentlemen.

Having one of my low testosterone days, getting to be more of them so need someone who still has enough.

drained the oil, changed the filter, started  and had good oil pressure.   took it for a ride and all the oil came out of the top of the filter container.   tried it without the filter thinking it was an old one with problems, same issue.  

so, the return system is not working or is plugged.   For the life of me I don't see the mechanism of getting into the center pipe and what is next for options?

On reflection thought there was a bit of sludge in the canister . and too long since last oil change.

Also, at the bottom of the center tube was a separatee rubber washer,   is this a remnant of an old filter or a required rubber washer in addition to the one on the bottom of the filter??

Edited by willys54wagon - 31 May 2023 at 1:14pm
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 1:52pm
    There is a small hole (orifice) toward the top of the tube in the filter housing to allow oil to flow.  Your top of the filter housing isn't sealing for some reason, even if the return line is plugged it shouldn't leak.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 2:58pm
I had the same issue once... it boiled down to not having tightened the cover enough to compress the rubber o-ring / grommets on the canister enough to allow the housing gasket full contact with the cover.  Reseating everything to make sure it was copasetic and then giving the cover bolt an extra oomf to tighten it, no problems since.

YMMV... (don't go cave man on the cover bolt, but it needs to seat several surfaces)
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 3:13pm
When I first bought mine the PO changed the oil just before I picked it up. When I got it on the trailer it had oil everywhere. The o-ring wasn’t where it was supposed to be. I assumed it slipped out of place when the cap was reinstalled. 

Edited by Jeff J - 31 May 2023 at 3:14pm
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 3:40pm
Agree, the rubber seal for the cap is not correct size or not seated well or torn etc.
This is not a full flow filter, it is a bypass, so any clog in a line can't overpressure the filter. This assumes you have a 134 L head.
BOULDER 48 2A
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 3:54pm
Status report.

I have learned old men yelling at clouds and jeeps does increase the testosterone level. I have no clouds at the moment.

Yes I found the small hole on the tube.  it was plugged so thought that would help.  No joy.   I took the cannister off and the bottom hose, blew air through hose and could hear the air go through.  blew air through the bottom of cannister and can look throught it.

Reassembled, looked good, no leak.   oil pressure in 20-30 lb range instead of 50.

Took for ride, pressure up to 50+ again at high speed and oil leaking from cannister.

My best guess at this point is the return line .   Like a brake line might be expanding with heat, some deterioration in the line?

There has to be a restriction in the return line 

I am open to other testosterone induced ideas..................................................
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2023 at 8:56pm
You all were right.  I torqued the nut much more than I though I should have and it stopped leaking.

You were absolutely right
You were right all along
You were absolutely right
and I was wrong...........
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2023 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by willys54wagon willys54wagon wrote:

You all were right.  I torqued the nut much more than I though I should have and it stopped leaking.

You were right all along

Substitute "Honey, you were right" for your 1st sentence  and you have 'ol Muley on many an occasion..
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2023 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by willys54wagon willys54wagon wrote:

You were right all along

lol... I wasn't right-  I've been there Wink
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2023 at 9:37pm
To save guess work, is there a torque spec for that nut?
1946 CJ2A 14098
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2023 at 8:14am
Originally posted by Bill2A Bill2A wrote:

Interesting question.
It's not a nut on my filter cover, instead a bolt, 7/16-20NF.
I found nothing in the manuals giving a torque value for the cover bolt.

In addition to the big rubber gasket, pretty sure there's also supposed to be a copper crush or fiber washer-gasket under the bolt head.

Regular torque table for 7/16-20NF says grade 2 gets 27 ft-lbs., grade 5 gets 41 ft-lbs., and grade 8 gets 58 ft-lbs.
My parts manual doesn't give the grade for the bolt.
I've never put a torque wrench on mine, but considering that the bolt goes into the relatively thin tube under the cover, I don't think I'd go more than grade 2, maybe 30 ft-lbs max?

I'll have to remember to get the torque wrench out next filter change and sneak up on it.
Who knows, maybe 15 ft-lbs. is enough to seal it, and that's the objective.

I always inspect to make sure the tiny hole in the tube is clear and there's no burrs under the cover or on the top of the canister where the gasket seats, and don't put the gasket on dry (smear some motor oil on it).
No leaks so far.

Edited by Ron D - 03 June 2023 at 8:58am
1951 M38
1951 M100
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2023 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Bill2A Bill2A wrote:

I searched for a 8n ford tractor cartridge oil filter cap torque that is similar to the cj2a and found specs. of 20 ft/lbs. 

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2023 at 10:58am
That sounds right.

Maybe it would be good practice to recheck that every 6 months. The constant pressure has got to cause it to compress over time.
1946 CJ2A 14098
 Post Reply Post Reply