Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil in cylinder no. three

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durstig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil in cylinder no. three
    Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 7:20am
Hello everybody,

first of all, I wish all of you a Happy New Year!

My 48 CJ2A fires right up, runs fine and is in overall good shape BUT there is one thing I need some feedback on:

There is always too much engine oil in cylinder no. three.
When I remove the spark plug, the thread of the plug is smeared with oil and if I do not use some Teflon sealing tape around the thread, the oil gradually contaminates the area of spark plug no. three.

What is the most likely cause for this (hopefully minor) problem?

- faulty piston ring?
- faulty head gasket?
- cracked head? Unhappy
- cracked block? Unhappy 

What do you guys think?

Regards,
Durstig

Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 8:35am
I'm assuming there is oil pooling in the spark plug well of the head rather than collecting on the part of the spark plug that is in the combustion chamber. With that said, for oil to collet in the spark well of the head, cracks in the block or a bad head gasket should not cause that condition as there isn't any oil galleries up in that region. The only wayI could see oil pooling in the spark plug well would be for oil  to enter the combustion chamber either through bad rings or valve problems and being coupled with a crack in the head around the spark plug threads... resulting in oil in the spark plug well. If that is the case, then I would expect for your engine to have a dead cylinder. Other wise your engine would be smoking like crazy. I know you said is run fine, but are you absolutely sure you don't have a dead cylinder. Run the engine and wearing a thick leather glove or the like, carefully pull off the #3 spark plug wire. If there is no change in RPM, then you indeed have a dead cylinder and my theory may have some merit.

As a side note, never put Teflon tape on spark plug threads. The threads are not the sealing component of that system. Spark plugs seal via a compression seal between the flange of the plug and the machined surface on the head.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 10:37am
X2 what Joe said. Rings or a crack/scored cylinder wall would do it but the blue smoke from the tailpipe would be excessive.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 11:07am
The oil must be coming from one of these 3 possibles.
Somehow it is collecting on top the head and pooling into the #3 plug recess.
Maybe a leak from the air cleaner ?

More likely that you have bad valve stems and or guides.
Oil can travel directly up from the valve adjust chamber and into the combustion chamber via bad stems or guides.

The oil is sucked up when the piston creates vacuum.
Or you have too much pressure leaking into the crankcase from bad compression rings and forcing the oil to rise up the stem.

The other likely option is a broken oil control ring.

In either of the last two scenarios you will experience a proportionate oil fog coming out the exhaust dependent upon severity of the problem.

Edited by oldtime - 04 Jan. 2022 at 11:21am
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 11:15am
  I agree with all of the above, except one little thing - pull your plug wires one at a time on the distributor end. You’re much less likely to get “bit” there. 

And, the spark plug needs to be electrically grounded and thermally cooled. It gets both from the threads’ contact with the head. Teflon tape surely won’t help with either. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 11:41am
I would swap the #3 spark plug with another.  See what it does. Foul stays at #3 or moves with the spark plug.

I've experienced "biting" or shock when I was grounded while pulling a wire.  I've avoided it when I wasn't touching anything else on the jeep.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 12:05pm
Good grief use a pair of plastic pliers when pulling a plug wire. Or an insulated pair of pliers.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 12:37pm
  What Rus said - it’s a good idea to not be a ground path to the fender. 
  No need,Mark, if you do it right. 
  I’m speaking from many years experience and a LOT of plug wires pulled. I once, on a dare, replaced a full set of plug wires on a running V8 engine and did not get bit. Without any tools. Won lunch, IIRR😁
BW 

Edited by Bruce W - 04 Jan. 2022 at 12:39pm
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 2:31pm
I'm trying to grasp your issue. 

If I understand correctly, the oil is only on the sparkplug threads. The oil does not get on the electrode if you put Teflon tape on the threads. Without the tape, eventually, the electrode gets coated with oil. 

1. Update your post with a picture of the offending plug as well as the number three spark plug hole.
2. What brand and number plug are you using?
3. Is the crush washer present and in good condition?
4. Have you replaced or rotated your plugs with the same result in #3. 
5. What is the condition of your PCV system? 
6. What is the condition of your air cleaner?
7. Is there a pool of oil in number three spark plug hole when you use the Teflon tape? 
8. Do you have hydraulic equipment such as a plow.
9. Is your oil filter in the stock location? 
10. What weight engine oil are you using? 

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Durstig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durstig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2022 at 8:49am
Thank you for all your feedback!

Today I had the chance to take some pictures. The Jeep is on winter break since two months...

The pictures show the type of spark plugs I use, also spark plug #3 and the #3 spark plug hole.
Considering all this and your input, I think there is a serious problem with the head.
As shown on pictures of spark plug hole #3, the head is cracked. This crack was repaired in 2019, but apparently it's broken again now... Unhappy 

Also supporting the broken head thesis is the fact, that today I discovered a small amount of coolant in spark plug pit #2...

Not too pleasant discoveries... Unhappy

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you!

Durstig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durstig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2022 at 8:52am
The #3 plug:

Durstig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durstig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2022 at 8:54am
the kind of plugs I use:

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2022 at 8:57am
The cracked head is definitely a problem, but it is not where the oil is coming from. That much oil pumping past the plug threads indicates worn out or broken rings or possibly a hole in the piston. Cry
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Durstig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durstig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2022 at 9:21am
Can I drive this thing further 20 to 30 miles?
This is the distance to the engine workshop I trust...

Or is there an immense risk of a total collapse?

General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2022 at 9:40am
I'm not advising you to do that, but I'd be surprised if it made it there with no further issues....
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2022 at 10:07am
I think the engine will need to be rebuilt, but as long as it is running I would not be afraid to drive it to the shop. It will probably make it that far, but have someone follow you in another vehicle in case it dies on the road. The damage is already done, I don't think it will hurt it any further. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2022 at 10:21am
At minimum it needs a new head and gasket. 
Likely needs more such as valves, guides and or rings.
Driving it can’t hurt much of anything at this point.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2022 at 2:26pm
Are you sure that it is not oil but coolant getting on the plug? The insulator looks good to me. I don't see oil fouling. Maybe just a replacement head is all you need. Maybe something you can do your self.

Micah

Edited by Steelyard Blues - 14 Jan. 2022 at 2:37pm
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>