Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil in cylinder no. three

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2022 at 3:18pm
It could be the crack has made its way down the spark plug threads. It may just be it looks like oil leakage because cylinder gases are leaking past the spark plug. A diagnosis from a shop you trust would be a good idea.
I’m guessing a replacement head is probably expensive there, so it’s probably worth paying a shop to do some basic testing so you don’t replace more than necessary.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Durstig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durstig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2022 at 7:13am
With all your input in mind and with what I see by myself, I think the following:

Head is cracked (obviously!) and the valves on Cylinder #3 are somehow faulty.
The oil gets sucked up through the faulty valves and finds its way to spark plug pit #3 through the crack in the head.

I don't think it's a piston/cylinder problem, cylinder #3 is definetly not dead.

Yesterday I found an NOS cylinder head of a 1946 CJ2A for a good price, so I won't mess around with the cracked head.

First step, I plan to remove the cracked head.
Here is how I would proceed:

1. drain cooling system
2. remove thermostat housing, carburetor and intake and exhaust manifold
3. remove the head

I am pretty sure, I then will find some hints in cylinder #3 valve area...

Is there something special, I have to consider?

48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2022 at 8:51am
That sounds good, the only thing I would put off is taking the manifolds off.
The rear stud on the exhaust manifold is bad for breaking off, so unless you need to remove them its probably not worth it.
You should be able to inspect and remove the valves with the head off and the valve cover off.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2022 at 10:42am
Yes, I strongly agree, don't mess with the manifolds unless absolutely necessary. Been there, snapped rear stud, broke off "easy out". What a PITACry
BOULDER 48 2A
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2022 at 11:28am
Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

Yes, I strongly agree, don't mess with the manifolds unless absolutely necessary. Been there, snapped rear stud, broke off "easy out". What a PITACry

X2!!!
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2022 at 7:09pm
X3!
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2022 at 7:22pm
Yep, saw some other post where someone was about to remove the manifolds to adjust the valves. Not a good idea.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2022 at 12:23am
Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

This is were brass nuts come in handy, course after a few removals youd probably have to change em, the brass gets tired unlike steel, but it doesnt rust at least 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2022 at 11:08pm
Relative to the time it takes to replace a broken off stud, Brass nuts are cheap! I replace any on my rigs exhaust that even look like they may need it.

I also use Kopr Kote anti-seize. IME, it helps keep the nuts from seizing. Of course if you drive on salted roads, or live near the beach, it is all a crap shoot & may not help.
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 9:51am
But , you can't use the brass nuts until you have removed the steel ones and likely snapped a stud.Confused
BOULDER 48 2A
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 10:15am
  I prefer steel nuts installed with anti-seize instead of brass or stainless steel and have had no problem removing them.   After working on jet engine turbines section that used anti-seize on the fasteners made a believer of me.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 10:24am
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

I prefer steel nuts installed with anti-seize instead of brass or stainless steel and have had no problem removing them.   After working on jet engine turbines section that used anti-seize on the fasteners made a believer of me.

Jim

Living in the northeast sector, around both road salt and saltwater I just dont even wanna try.... however I do try to avoid both with the old jeep
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 10:43am
 I should have said that I lived most of my 77 years in the in the Ohio valley about 40 miles south of Pittsburgh PA, the rust belt of the nation with all the steel mills and power plants in that area.

Jm
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 10:43am
When I encounter a frozen nut, that won't free with penetrating oil or heat, before putting enough force on it to break anything I will split the nut to get it off, especially on small studs like those used for the exhaust manifold.

If there is room for a nut splitter I use that, if not I use something else. I have used sharp chisels, and Dremel cut off wheels to get nuts off. The rear exhaust stud is difficult to get to, but removing the fender helps and is easier than drilling out a broken stud.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

When I encounter a frozen nut, that won't free with penetrating oil or heat, before putting enough force on it to break anything I will split the nut to get it off, especially on small studs like those used for the exhaust manifold.

If there is room for a nut splitter I use that, if not I use something else. I have used sharp chisels, and Dremel cut off wheels to get nuts off. The rear exhaust stud is difficult to get to, but removing the fender helps and is easier than drilling out a broken stud.
X2

Jim
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 11:47am
Most of the time heat will do the trick. I use a MAP torch which is hotter than propane but not as hot as acetylene. 

All four of the fender bracket bolts on my 47 were rusted so bad only about a 1/4" remained of the bolts. I got all four out by heating them cherry red, tapping them with a hammer while still hot, letting them cool to where they were just warm before adding some Kroil, and then clamping on some Vice Grips. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12