Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

oil pickup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyocj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oil pickup
    Posted: 13 July 2018 at 7:38pm
another beginner question here. I pulled the oil pickup off this morning and I don't understand why there isn't a huge suction loss at the joint in the floating oil pickup. Does anyone ever put an o-ring on the tube between the two parts? Wouldn't that at least reduce any loss? I cleaned it all up and ready to reassemble, but I'd like to hear from someone more knowledgeable.
Larry
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 7:43pm
Good question, but seemingly asked (and answered) before. Here you go:

1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
wyocj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyocj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 10:22pm
Mike, thanks for the reply. I did do a search, but I think the reason that particular post didn't come up was that he wrote it as two words- pick up, rather than one, pickup. Anyway, mine doesn't seem to have any taper, it seems to be just a loose slip fit. I'll look into it further and post if I find anything interesting...
Larry
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 6:49am
You're welcome!

I don't know much about how these search functions work, but i actually don't use the forum search much....i find it very difficult to use. I use the regular google search function and preface everything with "CJ2A". So Google search "CJ2A oil pickup seal".

It lists a bunch of topics on the CJ2A Page all related to the oil pickup. 

I accept that the forum is the expert on gathering and storing CJ2A information, and Google is the expert on searching, and then use each according to their strengths. Works for me! 

Smile
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 1:58pm
It's pretty much taken as a given that the "search" function here is basically useless... However, I usually have no issues finding what I want with "advanced search"

FWIW / YMMV
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 1:49am
Try Google.
It always finds the related posts here. Big smile
1946 CJ2A 14098
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 8:31pm
An o-ring would most likely make it to tight and would not float on the oil properly.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Post Reply Post Reply