Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old 4x4s for the win!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old 4x4s for the win!
    Posted: 28 Sep. 2021 at 10:37pm
I'm in Four Wheeler magazine!  A while back they had an editorial column titled "Old 4x4s For the Win!"  I wrote in response and my letter and a few pictures made it into the November 2021 issue.  One of the pictures is a lineup of mostly Jeeps from this group that I got the opportunity to 'wheel with at SMORR last year!  I couldn't find it in their on-line site, but if anyone gets the print copy, check out page 8!
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2021 at 6:25am
 Thumbs UpClap
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2021 at 9:26am
Very cool Bob. Can you post up a picture of the picture?
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2021 at 12:42pm
Sure,  you're even in it!

Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2021 at 1:09pm
Alan & Fuzz with the photo-bomb!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2021 at 1:11pm
Kenzie too!
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2021 at 1:33pm
For what it's worth, here's the letter I sent, as well as the rest of the pictures:

I’m a bit behind in my magazine reading so I just read your “Firing Order” column in the November 2020 issue of Fourwheeler.  In that column you asked for reader’s stories about old 4x4s.

Like you, I like old vehicles.  I’ll even go farther and say that I don’t like new vehicles.  I don’t like how my dad’s 2020 Honda Pilot aims the rearview mirrors at the ground when you shift into reverse.  I don’t like how my wife’s 2018 Jeep Renegade won’t shut the engine off unless you are in “Park”, and how it automatically applied the parking brake when you open a door.

Not liking new vehicles means that I drive old ones, and plan to for as long as I possibly can.  My current daily driver is a 1997 F-250HD crew cab.  It’s rusty and the 460 sucks gas.  But before we bought a motorhome for vacations a couple years ago I was never concerned about putting the slide-in camper in the pickup, hooking my Bronco behind and driving anywhere across the country on a family vacation.  Yeah, it doesn’t have a nav system or a way to warn me if there’s something in the lane next to me.  But maps and rearview mirrors have been meeting those needs for decades and they still work just fine.

My other old 4x4 is the 1971 Bronco I just mentioned.  It has a lot of modifications, and I do like the additions of more modern power front disk brakes, power steering and electronic ignition.  But it’s still running a manual transmission and a carb.  And while I don’t drive it in the salt of Minnesota winters, I do daily-drive it through the summer.  And last year I even hopped into it with just my dog, on Friday drove 600 miles to southern Missouri, ‘wheeled all day Saturday and Sunday morning, and then Sunday afternoon/evening drove the 600 miles back home.  I wasn’t worried about it stranding me.  Sure, it could’ve.  But a new vehicle can strand you too, and my Bronco isn’t really any riskier in that sense.

(By the way, when I drove to Missouri last year I met up with a group of other people.  Out of the 12 vehicles in the group my ~50 year old Bronco was the third newest!  Most of the others were flatfender Jeeps from the ‘40s!)

Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2021 at 3:46pm
Nice write up Bob. That was a fun weekend at SMORR.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2021 at 5:07pm
Thanks!  It was a lot of fun for me as well.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
 Post Reply Post Reply