Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old Smokey

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Smokey
    Posted: 06 July 2022 at 5:59am

Replaced my head gasket on the L143 and while I was at it I cleaned the PCV valve.  After initial start up I ran the engine a 1//2 throttle for about 5 minutes  I was getting some blue smoke out the exhaust which didn't bother me as this engine has plenty of time on it.  But as the engine continued to run the blue smoke increased and the RPMs struggled to hold steady at the throttle position.   When returned to idle the engine stalled, it was then I noted oil seeping around the top and down the carb from where the air inlet tube bonnet attaches to the top of the carb.  Seems oil was being drawn either out of the oil bath air cleaner or I think more likely out oi the rubber crossover tube from the oil dip stick tube going to the air cleaner inlet and on to the carburetor.  I never had this happen before and left the L134 to cool over night.  I suspect if I am pulling that much oil into the carb I have fouled the plugs which would explain the poor running of the engine.  I'll pull the plugs today and have a look around but as to why the oil at the carburetor I wonder if the PCV valve is not working and perhaps crankcase pressure is building up forcing oil up the dip stick tube and into the air inlet system. 

Thoughts?
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
U.S. Army Iraq Veteran (ret.)
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2022 at 8:13am
"while I was at it I cleaned the PCV valve"

An engine with worn rings creates pressure in the crankcase due to "blow by". The crankcase ventilation system is a likely source of oil getting into the intake.  

With the engine running remove the oil cap and put your hand over the spout to see if you feel pressure.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
 Post Reply Post Reply