Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Auction Listings / Classified Ads/ Jeeps for Sale Sightings!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old West Point Work Horse - 48 2A

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old West Point Work Horse - 48 2A
    Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 1:43pm
Hello All,

This one is up by me (Hudson Valley NY)... Cool history and looks fairly original. This one stood out to me:

https://catskills.craigslist.org/cto/d/1948-willys-cj-2/6462893070.html

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 6:54pm
Hmm I wonder if the same guy that couldn't spell Military also counted the gears?

I see different tail lights and a 12V system, missing headlight trim rings That hydraulic pump plumbing where the PTO lever would be looks like it will have modified the tub tunnel some. A couple extra holes in the dash.

But all and all a very good looking start. Especially for road salt country and the price seams very fair that won't be around long.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

Hmm I wonder if the same guy that couldn't spell Military also counted the gears?

I see different tail lights and a 12V system, missing headlight trim rings That hydraulic pump plumbing where the PTO lever would be looks like it will have modified the tub tunnel some. A couple extra holes in the dash.

But all and all a very good looking start. Especially for road salt country and the price seams very fair that won't be around long.
Maybe he was counting the reverse gear too.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 8:40pm
Is there anything more than a pic of folks in camo clammoring over it to lend credence to the west point story?  I'm guessing the buildings in the pics could be placed at west point, but not sure it being there on a trailer for the pic makes it anything... and you'd have to reinstall the tub drain holes...
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 8:58pm
All good points and excellent observations! This one stood out to me because it doesn't look too far gone (speaking from the east coast, New England) and is not astronomically priced.... I'm not sure how much value the history would add, if any?
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2018 at 4:29am
I believe that any vehicle of this vintage that was used BY the military ON BASE would have a tag on the dash stating such. At the very least a tag with the delivery date on it. 

I dunno. Maybe it's me but when I see the drain ports missing or covered over, the spare tire bracket missing, the bow storage brackets missing......I get less interested. Rust rust rust. Sooooo tired of rust. I guess I'm getting too picky. 
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2018 at 3:15am
So it’s a 48? Maybe. 3a grill and radiator....and with that clue the frame is a 3a. The front is a bit goobered up but I’m pretty sure there is no evidence of gussets ever being present.....
This wouldn’t be a bad jeep to have but this fella isn’t exactly what it claims to be. The biggest drawback is definitely the rust. I hate rust relics more than I hate politicians.

Edited by damar2yxr - 21 Jan. 2018 at 3:25am
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2018 at 4:11am
It looks like someone torched off the frame gussets just above the front spring hangers, then added some "reinforcement".  Those seat frames don't say 2A to me either.  Maybe, but...  And where did the body side seams go?  Same place as the drain holes, I guess.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2018 at 5:49pm
I just called the fellow that has it listed...he says it was used around the West Point area on the fire roads...he says it needs an all new braking system (don't they all???)...it has no ignition key...he starts it with jumping the battery...(not sure how that works)...I am assuming it will need to be all rewired too....less than 13,000 miles on it tho...I am about 2 1/2 hours from me...seems like a good starting spot for sure...

trying to figure out if I want to jump back into a flat fender or not...

this might not be a bad place to start for sure...

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2018 at 5:50am
Sadly, it won't go any faster on your local roads than your previous one did.  Do you want to start that all over again?  It just wasn't the ideal thing for your situation; has that changed?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2018 at 7:56am
So it has no connection to West Point the military academy save the photo op. It was used in the area of West Point by who and for what is not clear.

Its as we see a collection of parts some 2A some 3A You can bet the frame is messed up its been a plow jeep. And it seams like all but the most babied family plow jeeps have damaged frames and the front horns all messed up.

The tub has had extensive work done at one time or the other. The missing door seam screams bondo the missing Tire mount on the passenger side also screams bondo and maybe metal repair. As does the missing Top bow socket. And I bet based on the rats nest of wiring in the engine compartment the underside of the dash looks a nightmare.

I mentioned other things in my first post.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2018 at 10:02am
I am not sure if its just me but when sellers try and spice up a sale by including irrelevant "dressing" I would look even harder at what's really on offer.....The "dressing" has been applied to cover other problems.

I would rather buy from someone who just let you check it out yourself and then you made your own choice based on exactly what you can see.

...my 0.2c worth....

Buyer Beware.......
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2018 at 1:45pm
This Willys just popped up.... Its in the same general area and may be a Lefty.... Still rusty though... Price a little higher, but has a bunch of parts.

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/d/1948-willys-jeep-cj-2a/6465918600.html
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2018 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by ggordon49 ggordon49 wrote:

This Willys just popped up.... Its in the same general area and may be a Lefty.... Still rusty though... Price a little higher, but has a bunch of parts.

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/d/1948-willys-jeep-cj-2a/6465918600.html

a nice one to restore, even still has the under dash coil.

Jim

Edited by russnj - 22 Jan. 2018 at 4:16pm
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
 Post Reply Post Reply