Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Om617swap?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brushtrooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Om617swap?
    Posted: 02 Apr. 2021 at 3:54am
My CJ2 is in storage about 100 miles from the house, so its hard to get measurements. Does anyone know if there is enough room. Under the hood for a Mercedes OM617 inline 5 turbo diesel? I came across a deal on a 300d and bought it. I doubt it will fit but cant hurt to ask. 
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2021 at 4:17am
http://www.mercedesdiesel4x4.com/

not sure if they have a kit for a cj but still pretty cool. 
You have only to believe if you wish to achieve. That rhymed. Unintentional - Rod Kimble

73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2021 at 4:19am
Around 32.5" from rear of the block to front of the fan. 
CJ3B
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2021 at 4:25am
Standard 3B with side mount radiator is 27” from firewall recess to radiator. The grill tunnel eats up approx another 4” inches.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2021 at 3:43pm
Just quick measurements, the l134 is approximately 21inches from rear of head to crank pulley, the om617 is approximately 30 inches from rear of head to crank pulley.
From eyeing both I doubt it can be done without modifications to the firewall, moving the transmission back and maybe moving the radiator forward. The MB engine has the oil pickup in the front, so even with the modified oil pan you will probably need a lift to clear the axle.
I’ve seen pictures of longer engines in a 2a so it’s probably doable, but it’s not going to be easy.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2021 at 5:30pm
Ok, more torque than the L134 but still leave a whole lot to be desired, IMO, for a Jeep engine.  I put a bunch of miles on a couple of 617's (79 300 TD and an 82 300CD).  Both of those cars were great------

after the turbos were spooled up at 2000 rpm.  They were completely worthless below that rpm.  So much so that I once thought I was not going to get the 79 out of the Muddy Creek trailhead parking lot (about 8100 feet elevation) in the Beartooths.  It was a relatively steep ramp down into that small parking area and I couldn't build enough rpm to spool the turbo enough to get out of there.  It took a number of attempts.

Not something I ever want in a Jeep.  And they are NOT low maintenance.  If one is set on a diesel, a 4BT is a much better option but I still don't see any appeal of any diesel.  All are heavy (with the possible exception of some of the current offerings), none of them like to start when it's actually cold, diesel is not available at a lot of backwoods locations, and the stuff does stink.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
brushtrooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brushtrooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2021 at 7:57pm
Thanks for the info and measurements, I did not figure it would be an easy swap. From what I  have read the om617 weighs 585lbs which is not much more the the L134 and right in there with the SBC 350, so weight wise it should not be an issue. I like diesels myself and I understand they are not for everyone.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brushtrooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2021 at 12:56am
Originally posted by 48willys 48willys wrote:

Just quick measurements, the l134 is approximately 21inches from rear of head to crank pulley, the om617 is approximately 30 inches from rear of head to crank pulley.
From eyeing both I doubt it can be done without modifications to the firewall, moving the transmission back and maybe moving the radiator forward. The MB engine has the oil pickup in the front, so even with the modified oil pan you will probably need a lift to clear the axle.
I’ve seen pictures of longer engines in a 2a so it’s probably doable, but it’s not going to be easy.

I found a deal on a OM616 4 cyl diesel today and from back of block to the fan mounting surface is 24”. I wish i had my CJ at home to measure but do you think this would fit length wise? It seems like the 3’s could be fitted in using a electric fan and maybe some small mods here/there. I am dead set on putting a diesel in it and the Mercedes is what I am finding deals on
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2021 at 2:14am
Go-Devils and Hurricanes are 25” from bell mount surface to front of the fan.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2021 at 2:20am
About anything can be done. We were sitting around with a mechanic/machinest that worked at the nuke plant. Sure, we can do it.
One has to wonder if it is a good plan.
john

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brushtrooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2021 at 2:16am
Originally posted by uncamoney uncamoney wrote:

About anything can be done. We were sitting around with a mechanic/machinest that worked at the nuke plant. Sure, we can do it.
One has to wonder if it is a good plan.
I am not sure if its a good plan but what defines a bad plan? If a swap can be done successfully and to the owners satisfaction, then its a good plan. I like a challenge and enjoy something i understand and can control some. I started a turbo drag race car project with my son on a 2000 Mustang GT, we swapped in a 14’ coyote, power glide and turbo. that quickly developed into hiring people to install more and more systems to make this car run fast. It has much more computer tech in it than i want to learn. It’s almost track ready, i plan to make a few trips down the 1/8 mile and hand it over to him. 
I have swapped a Allison with brown-like 3 speed into a 97 dodge 3500 5.9 back in 99’ when we all were losing 5th gear. it took a month of trial and error, lots of fabrication to get it working right. i put over 400k on that setup running hot shot. I like a challenge and I enjoy some fab work. I am not a pro by any stretch of the imagination. Some things look like junk and I seem to run a 50/50 on that scale. I had a 76 cj7 with 304/3 speed. It was pretty clean, motor ran but had a burnt valve. I had been looking for a clean willys with no luck at all here in south Texas. I bought the cj7 from my brother thinking I could get into it. After a year i found a willys on a hunting forum. We basically swapped projects and thats how the willys became mine. This projects gets the the brain working for me. I cleaned the dust off of the welder and cutting torching in anticipation of the up coming swap. searching to forum about this swap shows that the front axle will hi the oil pan. It appears a custom pan will need to be made and i wonder about moving the axle forward to help clear the pan. Moving axles forward is common on latter Jeeps for the rock crawling crowd so some research is needed on the 2a. I need to get them both at the house to get see more of what is needed. 
that was started as a short response-then turned into me babbling on
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2021 at 2:50am
Babble away. I know Corvette motors, Harleys, Volvos, VWs. Jeep gear boxes. Yeah my old Harley would outrun those from 2 generations later..
john
 Post Reply Post Reply