Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Omix Radiator, replace plastic plug?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arniet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Omix Radiator, replace plastic plug?
    Posted: 30 Sep. 2020 at 12:42am
Well, after 20 years of leaving two jeeps sit, I am back to work making one out of two.  Newer body is on, electrical run, rebuilt engine runs, rebuilt tranny, new clutch, rebuilt steering gear and so on.  Now for a little pain in the rear problem, I am using what I believe to be an Omix radiator that has a small plastic drain plug purchased by a previous owner.

It started leaking around the plug, the plug may have had a rubber washer.   Does anyone know, do I need a washer?  Use RTV?  Even better does anyone know if I can just replace the darn thing with a brass petcock?

If I drain the antifreeze 2 more times, I think I will wear it out, just kidding.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2020 at 1:34am
Replace with a brass petcock put Teflon tape about 4 wraps around the threads and tighten it with about 6" long wrench until it feels tight.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2020 at 2:19am
 It probably needs a "rubber" (most likely not really rubber but some sort of soft plastic) washer. Most of the modern radiators I've seen with a plastic plug had one. A brass petcock probably won't fit because the threads are different. Welcome to the world of Omix-ADA!
  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
arniet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arniet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2020 at 1:59pm
Thanks Gents.

Got back to the jeeps, the drain plug hole threads will not match a petcock.  I used some neoprene, listed as good for glycol, washers to plug the leak.  Now I need to find a spare plastic plug.

Thanks,
Arnold
 Post Reply Post Reply