Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Omix Sector Shaft Safety Warning Fellows!!!!!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Omix Sector Shaft Safety Warning Fellows!!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2020 at 3:05pm
  Shocked  Yep, that’s the one, alright. I’m sure glad you found it when/where you did!  BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
85jeepcj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85jeepcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2020 at 1:55am
Any information what dealers sold these.
Ron Fitzpatrick?
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2020 at 1:59am

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2020 at 11:46am
Wow! I'm glad you had fate on your side. It could have been a tragic event for you or others. In the old days they sold new pins you simply replaced for the worn ones. Now they don't want you messing with any of that liability wise. I think Omix Ada sold not long after the initial discovery of these sectors. The next source was Crown . If you can find a good used one, or a NOS one, they would be the best. Possibly a entire used column. Or ask a current dealer and mention your experience. I'll bet they are fully aware of them. You are a lucky guy to have dodged the bullet. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2021 at 3:16am
I just scrolled through the entire thread and was curious what I installed in my jeep. Looking through my receipts I found an invoice from Willy-Overland Motors for the sector shaft kit that I purchase from them in April 2000. They listed it as part# 805123 and it cost $109.00. Without disassembling my steering box, does anyone think I may have ended up with a questionable sector shaft? I remember rebuilding the box, but I don't have a photographic memory.

Thanks
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2021 at 12:05pm
I wouldn't trust what anyone says they think they know when it comes to what any supplier may have sold 20 years ago.

If that is within the time frame of the known defective shafts I would not waste any time in pulling it apart for an inspection.

The CJ2A I bought last May had a steering box the previous owner had rebuilt. That Jeep hadn't been started since 2010. He had ruined the new sector shaft by trying to use the 15/16" bore Pittman arm on the earlier 7/8" shaft. The loose Pittman arm had ruined the splines so that steering box was the first thing I fixed on the Jeep. I had one I had already rebuilt, so I just took the left fender off and swapped them out. The box I took out of the Jeep felt tight, and turned smoothly, and were it not for the ruined splines might have been used by someone down the road had I not pulled it apart for inspection, and sure enough it had one of those crappy OMIX ADA shafts in it. 

The use of the wrong Pittman arm may have saved someone's life.  

It is just a few bolts to remove the fender which makes removal of the steering box easy. There are  instructions in some of the manuals for this. I think I saw it an Army manual, but it is easy to do. Just have to rotate the unit until it clears, and drop it until the column clears the firewall. I jacked up my Jeep and put a good stand under it but that was mainly to make it easier for me to reach it from underneath, I don't know if you have to jack it up might clear without it.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Bitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2021 at 4:11am

so I got the steering box out and did the break down. the steering outer column would not slide off the inner shaft and as it turned out, the corrosion was so bad it had seized up at the top spring and just below the horn contact.  so new inner shaft and new 40,5 inch outer column are in the plan.  i took apart the internal sector shaft and drove the bushing outs, 11/16 socket worked well but it does take some effort, they were not falling out for sure, pulled the bearings out of the case... the bushings were identical in size  and both had a hole for the oil to get into.  seems like from reading the outer one should be bigger than the inner one?  and not be identical

the sector shaft has some wear on it and the nubs are a bit worn on about 15% of the surface or so.. but seems like the replacement parts all have these quality issues.  any suggestions on whose to buy?  (including the inner worm gear shaft)  Also, does anyone have  a suggestion on buying a .875 hand reamer for the bushings once inserted?  Also needs a new pitman arm as the ball is pretty bad.

seems like pricing the parts i made a spread sheet to try and sort out the prices as my head hurt from just going back and forth on web sites.. i did come to one conclusion, unless a real alligence to a supplier, it pays to shop around if price is the only concern.  that all said, is there an issue from buying a worm shaft from one and the sector arm repair kit from another... even when they have same part numbers? I am concerned about screwing up the steering and want to get it right.

Bitz

JeepRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2021 at 2:55pm
Bitz...
Regarding sector shaft replacement, check out Carl at Walck's 4W. • As you have learned from this post, be sure the sector shafts you buy are not Omix-Aida. • You will have to dress the new bushings when you press them back in because they most likely will distort slightly - especially near the edges where you apply pressure to push them in. You can dress them with a brake-cylinder hone tool (they are inexpensive and you can get them at any auto shop). • Ideal to make - if you can - an aluminum bar 5" long with one end that is machined to just fit into the bushing - it will be your "drift" when you press in the bushings and it will take a dent or ding before the bushing will. • Be sure the holes in the bushings line up with oil holes in the Ross housing. • When the box is reassembled be sure to use 80W-120 or 80W-130 oil - NOT grease. If there is a zerk fitting (for grease) on your steering box, toss it and replace it with a 1/8" NPT pipe plug. • When it's all together you can add a TightSteer to get rid of any free play (you can get those from Walck's, too).
R
Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
TJo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2021 at 4:51pm
Reading all this I was getting a little nervous about the slop in my steering. Pulled the cover and found this. 3300 miles!

muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2021 at 7:40pm
Wow, hard to believe it's been just 5 years since Red Willys steering wheel began to free spin on Tin Cup.. time sure flys when yer jeepin..
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2021 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by TJo TJo wrote:

Reading all this I was getting a little nervous about the slop in my steering. Pulled the cover and found this. 3300 miles!

the pins show excessive wear for your stated mileage for sure! it doesn't, however look like one of the breakage prone shafts, I think I can see the radius.. 
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
Bitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2021 at 9:22pm
Is the damaged one in your pic an omix part?  Maybe mine is really in pretty good condition 
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2021 at 9:31pm
Man I never seen 75 year old original taper pins in nearly as bad of shape as the above pics.
That is sad for sure !
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2021 at 9:48pm
There's more to the story than we are aware of.
That picture is very fishy perplexing.
The wear pattern is too inconsistent.

Edited by Joe Friday - 22 Oct. 2021 at 5:26pm
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2021 at 8:44am
I would like to see the backside of the shaft before I pass judgment.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

TJo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2021 at 10:27am
So here are a few more pictures of my sector shaft, I believe there is another post with the same problem.  I haven’t dug through my receipts to see when and where I got this sector shaft but I rebuilt the box when I did a full tear down on my jeep. Right now it has a total of just over 3300 miles on it. 

TJo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2021 at 10:33am
I guess my thought was, if this is the condition after 3000 miles what would the condition be after 10,000 miles?  There is a lot of slop in the steering and what was more worrisome was the back and forth play in the front wheels on rough trails. I could feel it banging back and forth through the steering column. 

I know this isn’t precisely on the topic of this thread, I just thought it was another problem worth bringing up in the discussion about steering issues. 
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2021 at 10:44am
Just out of curiosity, have you tried a file test on the pins to see if they are hardened?
In years past there’s been other things that the hardening process wasn’t done right.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>