Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Omix Sector Shaft Safety Warning Fellows!!!!!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Omix Sector Shaft Safety Warning Fellows!!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2016 at 7:20pm
Ok. I pulled the fender and the side cover of the steering gearbox and this is what I see.

It appears to be a one piece forged design and was purchased in May 2015 from Walck's. The button on the end is an insert that the end play adjusting screw works against. It is a one piece forging and is not welded where the shaft meets the sector.

Hope this helps...

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 29 Sep. 2016 at 7:23pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2016 at 7:30pm
Well stated SE Kansas.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2016 at 7:35pm
Thanks for the photo.  That's what is in mine also. It is not the problem sector. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2016 at 8:12pm
If you are looking at 'NOS' sector shafts, the "T" number on the back should end in 998 for MB/CJ2A/CJ3A. Others are the incorrect length.
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 12:21am
Here's my old one for reference (M38)

RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 2:02am
So what you're saying here is the replacement you sourced (w/larger dia shaft for mil spec M38) is a 2pc welded POS?? Is this warning going beyond the civvy models?

Uh-Hum-- BTW Is that dust on your battery box? You cannot slay the Hun w/dust on your battery box!!

Edited by RICKG - 30 Sep. 2016 at 2:06am
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 5:24am
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

So what you're saying here is the replacement you sourced (w/larger dia shaft for mil spec M38) is a 2pc welded POS?? Is this warning going beyond the civvy models?

Uh-Hum-- BTW Is that dust on your battery box? You cannot slay the Hun w/dust on your battery box!!

I don't know for sure yet Ricky, I need to take a look more closely at the one I have in the Ross as Oilly suggested. I don't even recall where I got the replacement, I may have to dig into the recept bag.
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 9:36am
OILEAKER said "After reading all the comments about bellcranks, draglinks, and now sectors, it's becoming obvious that we should take things into our own hands. There is room for a re-build service to simply repair the originals or build repair parts that solve the wear issues. We should boycott these off shore or inferior products until someone proves that a new product is good.

For those in the production business like Crown & Omex, it’s probably JUST a business to them, I don’t like to have to deal with them and I prefer not having to buy there junk, I much prefer made in the USA. There are responsible people here on the page that I learn of as we go along through various threads who are doing quality hand crafted work I try to note them or even go ahead and place an order for back-up parts that I know I will be needing eventually. Personally I would like to see some form of advertising or vendors directory of craftsmen here on the page who are of this caliber. I have dealt with Joe Deyoung indirectly. My nephew in WI. has met with him and picked up used parts or items that I wanted, but I did not know that he could perhaps produce a selector shaft that is safe and dependable. I think I know Joe is driving and using his own creation or product and runs a professional shop and is in the business, has liability insurance, employees that he can trust, keeps any eye on ... so I want him to build me a selector shaft because I may need it right now for all I know or I will use it later on another project. But I want it and fortunately for me can afford (I think) to plan ahead and not scrounge or Bubba important things.
Guys (John, was that you?) have brought me stuff like a bell-housing, or helped me find shift towers in working condition in the past and I will go back to them because they did not misrepresent and were upfront, unfortunately not all my dealings have been this successful but we learn as we go, sort of like trusting the BBB who works for those who pay their freight. So how do you do it, don’t know but I encourage it for now. For now using the ITEMS FOR SALE or WANTED TO BUY topics has helped me find parts I have needed and many kind suggestions. 

Someone who I had thought and hoped was my friend recently made a comment about my having to have the best. Well I can’t afford EVERYTHING I see, but I’m not going to shortcut or make due with certain components or parts and would prefer to deal with the same people that are in the business so they can make their own parts and support their hobby, something about enjoying you work and never having to work a day in your life...

I don’t know how you feel or would go about, but select advertising or “sponsorship” of the <cj2apage.com> would be a favorable state in my opinion. Hopefully I’m going to be able to stay in this, keep at least one jeep as a hobby and play-toy till they roll me out of here against my wishes. I would like to know who I can count on and what direction to turn, but then wouldn’t we all!

Edited by BENSH - 30 Sep. 2016 at 5:41pm
    1945 CJ2a 11495

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 12:45pm
Essentially, if you open up your steering box and see a weld on the end of the shaft, you have the junk/problem sector. If you have a hardened button for the screw adjustment, it's a good one. I'm now backing away from buying alot of off shore products. I buy US made metal repair panels and fixable original Jeep parts now. The quality control and safety are not there with most of the off shore stuff. Making parts which involve the safety of the people riding in the vehicle due to failure: fuel, brakes, steering, tires, should be something carefully considered.   
Tell all your Jeep buddies at coffee to check their steering box. Who knows what the previous owner put in it?????????????????????Confused
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 1:50pm
Bensh - although we have met in Louisville, I think you are giving me too much credit.
I think you meant Joe Deyoung...
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Bensh - although we have met in Louisville, I think you are giving me too much credit.
I think you meant Joe Deyoung...

"Come in mother earth..."
Quite right my friend, tried to edit some of those mistakes in my last post, appreciate your eye.
    1945 CJ2a 11495
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 10:00pm
Please confirm that this is a GOOD SAFE sector shaft:

Thanks much.  Still need to open the box on my 2a and check it.

Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 10:44pm
Lew, that's a whole new perspective. What are the pins made of? Copper? Bronze?
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 11:06pm
I think they are copper coated steel.
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 11:07pm
Good grief, another type! It's not the welded type that breaks, but other than that ???????? Wow. 
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2016 at 3:48pm
Looks good Lew, I see you were smart and put plastic under the gear to divert the lube, I didn'tCry
BOULDER 48 2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2016 at 2:54am
This hits close to home with me. Now my son tells me he has a Omix sector for his Jeep in a box, and they put one in his buddies Jeep! Wacko  I showed him the pictures. He's checking. I hope this keeps getting around and fast!!!!!!!!! John
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2016 at 4:36am
OK - so.... in that I NEED to rebuild my box, do we HAVE a source for NOS or other "safe" reproductions?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>