Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Omix Sector Shaft Safety Warning Fellows!!!!!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Omix Sector Shaft Safety Warning Fellows!!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2018 at 1:17pm
If you had to use a "grease" then John Deere Corn Head grease would be your very best choice. It certainly would not leak as much or as easily as 80w120 oil. (JDCHG is designed for farm implement gearboxes that see a lot of load and continuous use, and it has a lot of interesting properties. So while it will "work" in a Ross box, it is not intended for static applications like a steering box. And, it does not flow as well as oil and will not do a good job lubricating and protecting your sector shaft bushings.) 

The Ross steering box is not difficult to remove from your Jeep and I'd urge a rebuild so you can replace the sector shaft bushing and seal, use the right lubricant, and put an end to your leakage.

Roger
TightSteer
Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
Francccj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Francccj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2019 at 4:02pm
Francois
JeepRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2019 at 9:12pm
I'm so glad these are finally coming off the market! And, I have concerns for folks who unknowingly have these Omix sector shafts in their steering boxes...

Roger
TightSteer
Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2019 at 2:09am
Roger said: " I have concerns for folks who unknowingly have these Omix sector shafts in their steering boxes..."

I have more concerns for myself, when I meet those people on the road........    BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
JeepRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2019 at 5:51am
Bruce...

Well said!!!!  Smile

Roger
TightSteer

Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
46MB2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 46MB2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2019 at 4:12am
If I missed it, where do you recommend we get the replacements?  I know I bought mine from Kaiser but the Jeep isn't finished so I have time to fix.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kyle
Kyle Thomas
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2020 at 6:21pm
I suggest Ron Fitzpatrick or Walcks.  Both sell quality stuff.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
wantcoffee99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wantcoffee99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 5:27am
I have only had my 2A since last August, and I have already come to dislike/distrust Omix Ada.  I've bought 3 or 4 things they made, little stuff, and it's all seemed like cheap junk.
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by tamnalan tamnalan wrote:

I suggest Ron Fitzpatrick or Walcks.  Both sell quality stuff.

I hate to say it, but even Walck’s has fallen off on the quality side over the past couple years. They do try to have a lot of parts made here in the USA, but some of the parts are only available from the overseas sources. 

I try to reuse/rebuild as much of the original parts as possible. Don’t throw anything away.
Dave
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 4:03am

I have a couple pics of the sector shaft I took out of Ol' Unreliable about 6 years ago.  I believe it's the original.  You can see that the splines got a little twisted over the course of about 66 years.  I don't think it's usable any more unless there were a serious, DIRE emergency.  I'm going to throw it away--some day.  Smile

One thing of note is that the radius of the shaft where it meets the "other part" (technical term) is much larger than the radius of the one I replaced it with.  I was not too happy to see that, but I had purchased the replacement part many years ago from JC Whitney.  At least it was better than the high-quality Omix-Ada part available in 2014.  Dead

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 24 May 2020 at 4:08am
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Iron Doctor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iron Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 9:46pm
New to this but 38 year tool & die maker;
That 2nd to the last picture (original) looks to me like a one piece forging, the 1st pictures look to be friction welded.
Big difference. 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2020 at 2:57am
Welcome to the page, Iron Doctor!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2020 at 11:07pm
I think I just got bit by this.  I was in the driveway washing the jeep and turned the steering wheel to clean behind a wheel and POP.  No steering.  I finished my restoration in 2016 and bought parts over a 3 yr period prior to that. I have been telling myself that I needed to pop the cover and check my shaft and just haven't done it.  I can't imagine how bad this could have been Confused.   If your not sure, CHECK YOUR SECTOR SHAFT!
JeepRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2020 at 11:26pm
Ryan... wow. So glad you found it in your driveway and not at 55 mph!!!! Let us know what you find...
R
Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2020 at 11:54pm
And with pics.......
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2020 at 12:20am
Crazy scary!  Glad you are ok.
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2020 at 12:36am
Originally posted by JeepRoger JeepRoger wrote:

Ryan...glad you found it in your driveway and not at 55 mph!!!! 

Or just below the summit on the downhill side of Tincup Pass! Ouch Or worse yet, Black Bear!
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2020 at 4:47am
Yep it was the sector shaft.  Man what a pain in the butt to get that unit out with the tub on. I finally pulled the fender and worked it out that way.  Bearings and bushings feel tight, I should be able to just get a new sector shaft and gasket. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>