Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Omix-ADA electronic distrbutors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csparks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Omix-ADA electronic distrbutors
    Posted: 11 May 2022 at 4:08pm
Back again gathering info for neighbor's rebuild. 

He's making progress, and even had the rebuilt motor running a few days ago. He has it mounted to the frame, and fired it up 2-3 times, I think. Was going well, but after those runs, it would not start again. Still won't. 

Currently, he is suspicious of the 2 wire electronic distributor he is using in place of the old style distributor. Though I don't understand, he explained it eliminates points, and is supposed to be a better setup. Simpler? More reliable? I do recall finding a Youtube video on the topic to show him.

He says that after starting the motor, the case of the distributor was very hot, which (I take it) is not typical. Not sure if it gets hot now on the other attempts. Kaiser Willys is sending another, saying that sometimes those fail on them.

Just wondering if there are any common issues with the electronic distributor the seasoned vets here are aware of? Anything to explore or beware of?

I'm also trying to locate a phone number for someone he can talk to at Omix about the issue. That should really go well.Disapprove

Many thanks. All the info I've got here has been valuable.
csparks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csparks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 5:00pm
As I continue to research the site, I see that these Omix units don't have the best reputation for reliability. 

Wondering if the thing simply burned out. Read one comment about the electronic dist overheating if key is left on. I have no idea how he had the electrical system configured for this test run.

On the other hand, I've picked up that some of you guys feel the old style dist with points was reliable?
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 5:08pm
Original dizzy working well after 74 years.
BOULDER 48 2A
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 5:23pm
Things that play havoc on electronic Distributors includes solid core wires too high of voltage at the coil and leaving ignition on
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 5:48pm
  “ On the other hand, I've picked up that some of you guys feel the old style dist with points was reliable?”

Was reliable? Was and still is. Just like a lot of other things, (6volt starting and charging systems, generators, 9-inch drum brakes, Ross steering, etc, etc) if it’s in good shape, it works just fine. 
  What I find ironic is that most who convert to electronic ignition for “reliability” carry the old points in the toolbox “just in case”. Very few of us running points carries an extra set. 
  I have installed a couple of the Chicom points distributors in jeeps and they seem to be doing fine other than the rubbing block on one set of points wore down and wouldn’t open the points anymore. A re-adjustment of the points and a bit of grease on the block, and it seems to be fine. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 6:44pm
I replaced a worn out sand filled distributor with one of the electronic units bought from Kaiser Willys several years ago. My only problem with it was having to use a metric wrench to adjust it. It was one of the first things I changed on it trying to make it run better.  I don’t have longevity info because I haven’t started the jeep in about 4 years (I have owned it about 10). 
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 4:03pm
Yeah, I don't agree that installing an electronic ignition is actually an "upgrade" in the sense that it does the job any better, it doesn't.

I don't have anything against a good quality electronic ignition, they should be reliable, but no more so than the original in good order. 

I got a CJ2A for a bargain Summer before last because the guy who owned it installed an electronic distributor made in China and never could get the Jeep to run again. He gave up on it and it sat in his basement for 10 years until I traded him a M1 Carbine for it.

I had it running within an hour after I got it home. The plate on the distributor was made wrong and he had wired it 180 degrees off. I just found out where the rotor pointed with #1 at TDC and moved the wires accordingly. 

I don't trust that electronic distributor, it has no brand name on it, just a sticker that said "China", so I rebuilt an original points unit to go in that Jeep when I get back to it.

The only problem I have had with a breaker point ignition nowadays is finding quality components. There are a lot of imported points and condensers sets out there that are just plain junk, and these are sold by some of the well known Jeep part suppliers. If they don't mention a good brand name in the description, or come in an unmarked box, don't waste your money. 

I believe Napa still caries good sets, I used some from them on my old Ford tractor, but I have been very pleased with Blue Streak branded sets I got from CMV. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 4:42pm
 “There are a lot of imported points and condensers sets out there that are just plain junk, and these are sold by some of the well known Jeep part suppliers.”

Yep, and plenty of electronic parts, conversion kits, and, yep, distributors from the same sources. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
csparks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csparks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 5:00pm
In the event he decides to junk the electronic dist, what would you-all recommend to go with? Something from Kaiser, or one of the rebuilder sites?

Or is this something that does not need to be Jeep specific? (showing my ignorance). For now I think he wants to figure out the current distributor so as not to admit defeat.
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 7:42pm
The PO put a Kaiser unit in my Willys. I have had it for 7 yrs. Works great. I do cary a spare unit just in case. On the other hand my 3A also came with a Kaiser power starter. Replaced that a year ago. Did work great up to not working. Can't complain about either.
jeepdidwhat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepdidwhat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by csparks csparks wrote:

In the event he decides to junk the electronic dist, what would you-all recommend to go with? Something from Kaiser, or one of the rebuilder sites?

If you decide to go with an original distributor, http://willysdistributors.com/ does very nice work.  I bought an IAD4008 for my 1947 CJ2A and it looks and works like a brand new distributor.

imac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 9:00pm
I bought one from KW about a year ago. Worked fine when we had the jeep up on the jack stands getting it running. Once we dropped it off the stands for a test drive, the jeep died within 10 min. Came to find that the clamp that holds the condenser in place was a bit too big and allowed the condenser to shake loose enough to interrupt the ground. We reworked the clamp to tighten it which seemed to do the trick, tho it's back up on the stands now for some clutch and trans work, so only time will tell if it holds up once we have it back on the road. 
47 CJ2A
Normandy Blue w/ Harvest Red Wheels
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 9:11am
There is a huge difference between "a Kaiser unit" and the stuff KW sells. 

Kaiser owned Jeep during the sixties, but they didn't make the distributors used in them.

KW only has the name "Kaiser Willys" they have no real connection to Kaiser or Willys. They sell a mixture of good quality parts and imported crap without making clear which is what in their listings. That and the higher prices they charge is why I seldom buy anything from them. 

Edited by Oldpappy - 13 May 2022 at 9:13am
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
 Post Reply Post Reply