Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

On lock down...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: On lock down...
    Posted: 29 Mar. 2020 at 4:06pm
Well, Kansas goes on flu virus lock down at midnight March 30 so I'm running around trying to get last minute errands done...all the while keeping a social distance and wiping my hands every chance I get. So far, the lock down in Kansas will expire April 19, unless things get worse...and if it does, who knows when.

I guess I will have to quit using the excuse that the weather is too nice to keep from working on things that need to be done on Ol' Red instead of driving her every chance I can get. I've been putting off a few projects all winter long because I didn't want to lose a chance at driving on a mild southern Kansas winter day. This happens on a fairly regular basis.

Now that I can't get out, I can't use being ready to drive at a moments notice. I need to tear into the steering knuckles and change out the kingpin bearings because Ol' Red has developed a mild "death wobble". While I am on the front end, I want to change out the front shocks because one of them developed a leak during last year's FCT.

What are the rest of you doing to entertain yourselves if you are on lockdown? Any flatfender projects?
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2020 at 4:55pm
Minnesota did this 12am Saturday, most restaurants and bars or any other place people gather closed 2 weeks ago. Grocery stores, parts stores and critical business remain open. I still go to work everyday as I was deemed critical employee ..... But I’ve been building a Deutz engine for my bobcat and tinkering with my many Jeep projects in between..... Hope all our friends here remain healthy and the crap passes soon 👍🏽

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2020 at 5:20pm
I'm staying home and watching the snow pack slowly melt. Then------cleaning up my gravel driveway out of the grass that the snow removal deposited,  before the grass grows. As a bonus, I'm eradicating the epidemic of Voles that has returned for a second season. Those buggers went everywhere under the snow and ate everything they could find. Even the grass roots. They chomped half of the main stem of my brand new red Oak sapling! Angry It's war now!!!!!!!!
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2020 at 7:46pm
Ours starts tomorrow. The company I work for voluntarily shut down for at least 2 weeks, even though we are considered essential. 
Anyway, I saw this coming so I’ve been gathering some parts and supplies for several projects. I never would have thought it would work, but when I told my wife I was was going to order some parts to make sure I had plenty to do in case of quarantine, she never even batted an eye. I’ve got a new rear crossmember on the way for my cj5, and picked up some paint for a set of rims and hard top if I get to it. Also some cleaning supplies for around the house. Might as well make the most of it. 
DMusil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMusil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2020 at 8:15pm
I've ben working on one of my 47 2A's all winter Just about done with the transmission rebuild.(need an additional shim for the main shaft.)
Wife asked if I wasn't going to work on the Willys this after noon what am I going to do.(she's a keeper) Wisconsin is on lock down too.
DMusil
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2020 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

Minnesota did this 12am Saturday, most restaurants and bars or any other place people gather closed 2 weeks ago. Grocery stores, parts stores and critical business remain open. I still go to work everyday as I was deemed critical employee ..... But I’ve been building a Deutz engine for my bobcat and tinkering with my many Jeep projects in between..... Hope all our friends here remain healthy and the crap passes soon 👍🏽

Lee

Liquor stores are also critical businesses that aren't being shut down here in MN.  In fact, according to our governor, about 78% of the businesses in the state are "critical."  And we are supposed to stay at home.  Unless we're going to a "critical" job, or the grocery store, or a restaurant for take-out, or the hardware store, or the auto parts store, or the liquor store.  Which makes me wonder why we say we are locked down?

My company is deemed "essential manufacturing" so our production is still going, but everyone that can is being told they have to work from home.  Part of my job is production support, so I'm going in every other day.  But we are staying home a lot more than normal, having "Zoom" meetings with friends and family rather than actually getting together.  And I'm getting the hydroboost brakes on my Bronco.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2020 at 11:47pm
I'm getting a lot of maintenance at the college I work at done since I'm one of the few essential employees. The rest of the time is spent at home when it is usually raining or about to rain. No garage means I'm wait to do anything outside. So cleaning inside and modifying diecast cars to add to my wall. LOL
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2020 at 11:54pm
Trailer wiring on the Jeep. Although halfway through I realized I'm putting trailer wiring on a 6 volt jeep to pull a trailer with 12 volt lights. Oops.
Hey DMusil, I'm in central Wisconsin, where are you located?
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 12:12am
I drive a dump truck so no enhanced unemployment for me. Starting on April 6th we have 30,000 tons of decomposed wood and yard debris to haul to a land fill. 42 miles away if they throw 10 trucks at it I estimate just under 1000 truck loads if each truck can make 4 loads a day thats 25 days of the same over and over. They might run more trucks depending on other needs in the co and what we do for our partner co's Could be as many as 20 trucks.

In any case We will be told not to get out of the trucks when we load and no one wants to get out at the dump as it always STINKS and if its wet and you get that horrid mud in your cab then your truck stinks.

So I'lll be back to a min of 45-50 hours a week in 5 days starting the 6th. I'm going to be trying to finish up the electrical systems on CHUG as I think they are the hardest to work on intermittently.

TARGET Memorial Weekend for engine start up.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
44bz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 44bz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 12:53am
I disassembled front and rear driveshafts for sandblasting and paint.  The front shaft appeared to have 70 year old grease in it and was stuck solid, but came loose with a good heating from the torch.  Most of the snap rings holding the u-joints in place broke as I tried to get them out.  
46 CJ2a - Buick 225, T90/D18, Warn overdrive, Rancho 2.5", power steering, disc brakes, 33x10.50 BFG KM3s

1968 J2000 - AMC 327, T18, Dana 20

1971 CJ5 RenI - 225, T18, D20(2.46:1)
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 1:24am
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

I'm staying home and watching the snow pack slowly melt. Then------cleaning up my gravel driveway out of the grass that the snow removal deposited,  before the grass grows. As a bonus, I'm eradicating the epidemic of Voles that has returned for a second season. Those buggers went everywhere under the snow and ate everything they could find. Even the grass roots. They chomped half of the main stem of my brand new red Oak sapling! Angry It's war now!!!!!!!!
I would be interested in your strategy for dealing with the voles, my yard is riddled with hundreds of their holes. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 1:36am
One word . . cats. Smile

I started feeding a stray a couple years ago,  thinking it might keep the mouse and mole population down.  Bad thing,  it was a female, and had a litter in a storage building.  They were feral, and could not give away,  or hardly touch them.   We did manage to get the mother fixed, and the one girl kitten.

Now we have 4 cats . . and NO mice or moles.    4 cats are too many,  but loving the lack mole trails and mouse damage in sheds and garage.
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 2:44am
Found a brand new a  30 ton bottle jack on FB for $40 bucks. Screw lock down, I went and picked it up  and came right home. Badly needed it for my 60,000 Lb. press.  Have bearings to remove and replace. 
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 4:37am
Been on 'Stay at home' orders for a couple of weeks here in ill IL.
Not as bad as NY, but the numbers are growing exponently. Lost a co-worker last week due to this dam virus.  

Staying busy finishing a transfer case rebuild and soon to start another trans / TC set.

What's the going rate for a trans or transfer case rebuild?  Curious 
how much savings in doing the work myself.  
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 5:40am
I was deemed "non-essential" to be on-site at our "essential" manufacturing company.  I have been working from home for past couple weeks.  I don't feel too offended,  because I really can do probably 90% of my job from home.

I have been spending some time in garage, when not working,  since some other plans have been cancelled.    

- did some more work on spare tire / gas can rack
 - Installed new rear springs from Walck's,  would have done fronts also,  but new ones have more leaves (thicker), and I planned to use existing U-bolts.  They are too short, since I cut them off to keep them from getting bashed on rocks.   I need to order new U-bolts, but keep forgetting to figure out what size.
 - trying to finally finish the tranny cover over SM420  . .  installed 2 years ago.   

So far,  infection rate is very low in our rural area,  but we are doing our part to "flatten the curve"

IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 5:52am
I've been deemed essential personnel, sent home with a laptop last week, now I'm teleworking. Initially thought it would be nice, but now I'm working longer than I would if I was in the office doing 9 to 5. 
Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 10:32am
put me in the essential column.

I was traveling to New Jersey the last couple weeks for work. My boss locked me down. No more movement. We split up our management team across 3 buildings now. So I report to a new building in Baltimore tomorrow. 

Scary part - the hotel I stay at in Jersey - they shut it down for a "cleaning" yesterday. I left there Thursday. So I've been at home since - just to play it safe. Hotel is saying there is no event to worry about. They are simply taking advantage of the very low occupancy to do some work. 

But I have my tin foil hat on.....and my Spidey sense is tingling. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
DMusil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMusil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 11:14am
Whitelaw. 19 miles north west of Manitowoc.
DMusil
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>