Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

One lucky fellow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One lucky fellow
    Posted: 18 Jan. 2023 at 11:20pm
1949 CJ3a "Crap Game"
1951 Willys Truck
1950 Studebaker 2R5
1952 Chevy 3100 5 window
44bz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 44bz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2023 at 10:20pm
Good thing he wasn't wearing a seat belt...
46 CJ2a - Buick 225, T90/D18, Warn overdrive, Rancho 2.5", power steering, disc brakes, 33x10.50 BFG KM3s

1968 J2000 - AMC 327, T18, Dana 20

1971 CJ5 RenI - 225, T18, D20(2.46:1)
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2023 at 9:23am
I'm all for the locker stocker craze. It's great to see the old jeep being used off road. 

But if this is where it's headed - it's doomed. That jeep had no business on that obstacle with out some basic saftey add ons. I just don't get why you would try to tackle such an obstacle with that Jeep. It's just stupid. 

Having done about every extreme trail out there, and having been upside down, backwards, and sideways - I would never tackle some of teh obstacles I see being tackled with vintage jeeps without a cage. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2023 at 9:31am
Yep, the jeep was designed for a world with limited or no roads, which it does very well, not designed as if the world was made out of mountains. I agree with you nofender, it's cool the jeep can do it, but no without basic safety additions. Although in this situation not having a seat belt probably saved his life
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2023 at 9:52am
Should be titled : 
“Dare-Devil with a Go-Devil”.

I kinda know the feeling as I once rolled a 2A on the hiway with no roll cage nor seat belt. 
Slipped on the ice and Jeep ended upside down but not a scratch on me.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2023 at 10:33am
Why would one want to be strapped in without a roll bar ?

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2023 at 12:40pm

Years ago you were free to make your own awful decisions, and live with the outcome, good or bad.  You mangled your arm, Doc removed it at the elbow for your best hog and some eggs, and you bought slip on shoes.  Yes, your family was affected, but you knew that going in...didn't ya?  

It took the evolution of modern medicine and this need to fix stupid to increase the cost of stupid... it took insurance companies to try and spread the cost of fixing stupid around, and replace the potential family earnings stupid lost so your family wouldn’t starve.  It took legislation to try and protect us from stupid by punishing the terminally stupid, and attorneys to make sure to address the collateral cost of stupid… A lot has changed since doctors would take livestock as payment, and it’s all been a complete waste of time, money and energy-

Ya can’t fix stupid.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
AndyinTexas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyinTexas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2023 at 6:42pm
I saw that video, so scary. 

It reminded me of a near death incident I had loading my old Ford tractor on a trailer. I had the front tires on the trailer and just before the rear tires came on, a weld for the left ramp bracket broke. That tire dropped to the ground with the ramp, and I was pitched off the seat. Of course, it was in low gear and with a column throttle, it kept going. The right rear tire went on up its ramp, which steered the tractor hard left. At that point it jumped right off the trailer, passing right over me on the ground. Thankfully, the shredder on back kept it from rolling, had that happened it would have been on me for sure. As it was, I could hardly believe it went over me and I escaped without a scratch.

Didn't mean to highjack the thread, but I can relate to the situation that fella experienced. I agree though, it wasn't smart for him to hit that rock with no roll bar.
"the user formerly known as oldscot"
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2023 at 6:59pm
Dang that was STUPID, could have been a candidate for the Darwin award had he been slower in getting out of the way.

At least he never lost his hat. Wish I could still move that quick.

Looked like a nice Jeep too before the roll over. 

Loading tractors on trailers can be a bit exciting, so can unloading one. I was backing an old John Deere 1010 off a trailer about 20 years ago. Once the weight got past the axles the trailer tilted and raised the back wheels of the truck it was attached to off the ground. There isn't a level piece of ground on my whole place and the only way I kept from getting ran over by my own truck was to gun that old tractor to get it out of the way. That was a 1958 tractor and it had a stout roll bar, but I am glad I didn't test it.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2023 at 7:47pm
he did have to pull up his trousers!
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2023 at 10:20pm
I bet he had to go over there off camera and clean 'em out too! LOL

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2023 at 12:49pm
If he would have stayed to the right he would have made it. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2023 at 1:15pm
I'm a big advocate of both a good roll bar and seat belts. Its possible as slow as that Willys turned it would have stopped on its side had the Windshield been up and a roll bar. Mine did when I laid it on its side in High School as there was almost no forward motion when it went over so no momentum to continue the roll.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2023 at 6:48pm
Me too. One of the reasons they quit making the short wheel base CJ5 was because of roll overs on the street. If you are going to try stuff like this guy did they are a must. 

To me, a roll bar and good seat belts are a must in these things and it is something I add to my Jeeps if they don't have them when the Jeep comes to my barn. 

I have flipped two vehicles, one a VW Bug which spun around on its top and flipped back onto its wheels, the other was a roll over with a Jeep and the only thing that kept it from going all the way over was because the windshield was up. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2023 at 2:01pm
Does anyone know who this is or where this is?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2023 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Does anyone know who this is or where this is?

I don't know anything, but I get kind of a south of the border vibe from it.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Chicodave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2023 at 3:23pm
Jeff,
It was a random YouTube that popped up.  I am glad you guys are running roll cages.  I need to get my seat belts installed! Smile

-Dave
1949 CJ3a "Crap Game"
1951 Willys Truck
1950 Studebaker 2R5
1952 Chevy 3100 5 window
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2023 at 9:31pm
[QUOTE=oldtime]Should be titled : 
“Dare-Devil with a Go-Devil”.

Actually it’s a high hood and that’s probably why it rolled a flathead wouldn’t have that much weight up highWink
“Daredevil spit out of a hurricane”
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>