Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"one piece at a time"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 52>
Author
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2018 at 11:21pm
Glad to hear ya back after it Smile.  I'm actually surprised how much satin clear I go through, what with steel lines, brass fittings an such...
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2018 at 2:05am
Well it's been a while. A - I think I was a bit burned out on the project. B - I spent some time on the big Jeep getting it ready for the season. The rear end required a full tear down. Some wear items were shot. I also dropped the transmission to swap torque converters. 

Anyway, I debated for a long time about the wiring harness. I really wanted to retain a stock feel to the wiring. But in the end I went with a modern wiring harness that could support the few extras that I have on the Jeep. I have a good half dozen power options now for lights, heaters, etc should I ever want that. So far I've only had to drill one hole to accommodate the extra wiring. I managed to position it in place that's not seen. 

I have some LED tail lights that I wanted to use. But they looked cheesy because the housing was plastic. I didn't like the way they looked. But I really wanted the brightness these offered. So i scuffed the up and shot them flat black. They will at least pass now! All but the headlights are LED now. 

My OCD is kicking in nicely as far as routing and securing goes. Still looking for some better sheathing options. The standard loom stuff ain't doing it for me. 

The rear light junction block. 

Under hood spiffyness...

Tail lights updated with some flat paint. 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2018 at 3:57am
Your OCD continues to serve you well Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2018 at 5:20am
"Under hood spiffyness..."  The wiring looks great.  What anti-vibration provisions did you make for the starter solenoid bracketry? 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2018 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

"Under hood spiffyness..."  The wiring looks great.  What anti-vibration provisions did you make for the starter solenoid bracketry? 

Thanks.

As for vibration - honestly didn't consider that. That's a good call out. I'll have to come up with something. 

I decided to scrap those tail lights. They just don't look right. I think I'm going to go with some Naco reproductions. I'd like something a little more "custom" But as of now those are the front runners. There's a big swap meet on Sunday in CT. Maybe i'll see something interesting. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2018 at 11:15am
Look for me on Sunday... I'll be the guy with the big bag of tail lights ;)
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2018 at 1:25am
more wiring....

Got the new winch, after robbing the one that was on there for my JK. So this little rig is now fully prepared to likely never tackle a tough trail. Ha. 

All the front lights are wired up. Turn signals done. Dash and gauges done. Everything is LED now. At this point just waiting for the Naco reproductions to arrive. I'll convert them over to LED as well. 

Just a few small things to wrap up. I need to wire up the horn (when it arrives) and the driving lights. Then just some general tidying up and the wiring will be done. 

Carb was shipped off to Rick this AM. This is one of the final pieces of the puzzle. Next week it will be exactly two years, on my 6 month project. Guess I'm no good at estimating! 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2018 at 1:59am
I love it that the 18yo you can still convince the not 18yo you that it will only take 6mo to pull off!
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2018 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Look for me on Sunday... I'll be the guy with the big bag of tail lights ;)

Are you guys serious? Was there a swap meet in CT? Where the heck was that? Dang ITAngry
BTW - Wiring looks awesome! Very professional!
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2018 at 9:06pm
pm inbound
Doodledad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodledad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2018 at 1:23am
looks legit man. Clean an tidy!
46 2A 29938 (unrestored driver)
51 3A "Wilma"
55 3B Fountain
47 2A Yard Art
97 XJ “Lafaunduh”
00 TJ RockCrawler "Hooker"
13 Rubicon JKU "Alice"
48 C2A Eileen
00 TJ frame off resto “Stacy”
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2018 at 10:37am
thanks guys. It's getting there. Really looking forward to actually driving it in the very near future. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 1:37am
So the wiring is complete! All I'm waiting on is a back order Naco repop tail light.

We we had Scoutpilot do his magic on the WO. And what a job. It looks beautiful. So I mounted it all up and attempted to fire it. Nada. Fiddled with it a good part of Sunday. Got a few pops - but nothing. had fuel. had spark. Must be timing. So in a comedy of errors, I had the firing order wrong. Then i had it 180 out. fixed that, but messed up the firing order again. So i fixed that.....but clockwise. So finally after taking a break and writing down my steps - BOOM! fired right up. I timed it by ear for now and she sounds sweet. I let her idle for 60 minutes and she never climbed above 160 degrees. Tested the clutch. All seems good. We are about ready! 

Back tracking a bit - I built this little switch panel. I did not want to drill into the dash. Only the front driving lights are wired here. The other two switches are wired for future accessories, if i need them. This still leaves me 4 circuits under that dash for heater, radio, etc if I ever decide I need that.

and lastly.....WOW. I credit my wife for voting for this color. I was headed in a complete opposite direction. She was spot on. The seats look great. Many thanks to Beechwood. Really top notch products. 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 1:45am
Your Jeep looks amazing ,well doneThumbs Up
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 1:54am
Wow!! Thumbs UpIncredible attention to detail.... I like those transfer case knobs!
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 2:02am
Thanks guys! Appreciate the kind words. 

I'm not even sure where those shift levers came from. I think they were on some random t-case i acquired years ago. I always thought they were kinda cool so i hung on to them. 

White shift knob has to go - per the wife. So is showed her a few ideas. She settled on me making a knob out of a hunk of 35 spline axle shaft from the big Jeep. She's a keeper. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 2:09am
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

Thanks guys! Appreciate the kind words. 

I'm not even sure where those shift levers came from. I think they were on some random t-case i acquired years ago. I always thought they were kinda cool so i hung on to them. 

White shift knob has to go - per the wife. So is showed her a few ideas. She settled on me making a knob out of a hunk of 35 spline axle shaft from the big Jeep. She's a keeper. 
Sure is, you're a lucky man... I was out for a drive tonight in the jeep and my wife said "don't die unless you get life insurance first"... I think she was kidding?? Shocked Lol 
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 4:02am
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

Must be timing. So in a comedy of errors, I had the firing order wrong. Then i had it 180 out. fixed that, but messed up the firing order again. So i fixed that...

From the mbullism school of ignition wiring and firing orders LOL

Nice to hear it humming! Congrats Thumbs Up  And the seats do look bomb... so happy she saved you from yourself, lol.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 52>