Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"one piece at a time"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 52>
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2020 at 8:39pm
Made some progress today. Having gotten my welder plug wired up, I was inspired. 

Pulled the drivetrain and set that aside for now. 

We started on the front of the chassis. The steering box mount was perfectly functional. But it was bizarre. There was an old mount still on the chassis. A new mount was added to re-position the box. The old mount was left and welded around. Weird. So basically I just cleaned up and reshaped the whole area because it was ugly and looked hacked. 

I capped the bumper which will end up being one of two air tanks. And finally addressed the lack of drainage on the radiator crossmember/mount. 

Next - we'll flip the chassis over and address spring mounts and bump stops. 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2020 at 12:48am
Nicely done. I wish I had a little more room to move my box even further forward.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2020 at 8:03pm
And the work goes on...

Got an early start today. I hoped to make some progress today. On the agenda is removing the twisted and mangled draw bar brace and associated crossmember. I also wanted to removed the Bubba fab bump stops. These were interesting. They consist of a 1.5x3 rectangular tube with a drilled hockey puck acting as the "bump" Funny thing is, the "bumps" were not aligned with the axle. They miss during travel. Still trying to figure that one out. The upper shock mounts needed to go. Bubba took a spring plate and welded it to the top of the frame to create a dual shock set up. No bueno. One of two of the stock shock mounts was damaged. So I just removed everything so I can start from scratch. And finally the rear bumper, crossmember, tire mount situation was removed. While not particularly bad, the attachment to the end of the frame left lots to be desired. I just didn't trust the way it was done. In the event of a good pull or yank, I'm pretty sure the bumper would have left the vehicle. 

Sooooo......I went out to make some progress. But this sure as hell doesn't feel like progress! Ermm

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2020 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

I went out to make some progress. But this sure as hell doesn't feel like progress! 

I find it funny as hell that you think there was ever any other choice LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2020 at 2:06am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

I went out to make some progress. But this sure as hell doesn't feel like progress! 

I find it funny as hell that you think there was ever any other choice LOL

I know. I know. I swore I wasn't going this far. I'll just accept it. 

So I order 4 new Skyjacker springs today. Turns out, after some measuring, this Jeep had 76-86 Jeep CJ front springs on all corners. I briefly considered going to Wrangler leaves, as they served me well. But that would have required even more mods. 

This frame is exactly the frame that I have under the crawler - well bits of it anyway. Stripping this frame down seemed all too familiar. Then I remembered why. 

So here's that frame in the early days of the crawler. In the day it was bumped out to 84 inch wheelbase. It rode on Wrangler springs with buggy leaves at the shackle end. It worked real well back then! You could get any tire 40 inches off the ground before another lifted. And believe it or not, it went down the road okay. Go figure. Oh and the driver was way younger......and thinner. LOL

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2020 at 6:18pm
Much younger and a lot thinner ! So fancy, what happened to just getting it fixed up with a few changes? Disapprove  Yeh, yeh, I know all about your sickness. Your going to make me tare down the 70 ain't you ? You have way too much time on your hands sense you moved away. OH WAIT, that's right, you have a bigger garage now and more room. That's going to be trouble down the road I think. Wink
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2020 at 1:26am
Originally posted by masscj2a masscj2a wrote:

Much younger and a lot thinner ! So fancy, what happened to just getting it fixed up with a few changes? Disapprove  Yeh, yeh, I know all about your sickness. Your going to make me tare down the 70 ain't you ? You have way too much time on your hands sense you moved away. OH WAIT, that's right, you have a bigger garage now and more room. That's going to be trouble down the road I think. Wink

Down the road? It's trouble now! 

Speaking of trouble.....

The frame is now officially bare. I found some ugliness with the rear frame rails. So we need to fix/rebuild that. As soon as I have time to score some steel, I'll get it done. 

I removed the rear spring hangers and replaced with with the proper ones. The prior owner did some interesting to make later CJ springs fit in an earlier mount. Bottom line, it was poorly done and needed to go. 

Also needing to go was the "bumpstops" I guess I could commend the effort.....but I won't. You can be the judge.

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2020 at 2:47am
Well at least that bumpstop isn't just a block of wood.  Plus, if it wears out in one area, you just rotate it to a better area.  It will last 6 or 8 times as long as any other bumpstop.  Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2020 at 10:20pm
Now this feels like progress! 

Got the rear frame cleaned up and largely repaired. Basically i had to remove 8 inches of frame rail and replace it. I used 2x3 1/8 wall rectangular tubing. The profile is similar enough to work quite well. I also squared up the spring bushing bungs. The prior setup was off by nearly a half inch. Some bracing and some patient welding kept things from moving around. I'm pleased with where everything landed. 

I'm debating fish plating the side of the frame at the joint. With the frame overlap on top and the strap on the bottom, I think it's good. But a lot will depend on whether I reconstruct the pintle brace. I'm considering mounting the fuel tank under the Jeep instead of in the passenger compartment. 

The rearmost crossmember will become an air tank, along with the front. I intentionally lent it a bit long. I'll decide the final shape when the tub is mocked into place. Next will be building the rear bumper. I liked the original design. So I'll likely just copy that with some structure updates. 

Anyway....enough words. On to the pictures.   

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2020 at 10:32pm
Nicely done, sir... nicely done 
Thumbs Up

Wait-...  airtank?

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2020 at 10:50pm

Thumbs Up

Wait-...  airtank?

Yes sir. This Jeep will have on board air. With it's planned trip to the Banks, I'll want it. My goal is to use a York compressor driven by the motor. I used to have a similar set up and it was pretty handy. I'll have air chucks on the front and rear bumpers. 

On the big Jeep the roll cage is the air tank for the OBA system. All the cage joints are drilled to allow air to flow. It was an epic pain in the a** to get all those joints air tight. I won't do that again! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2020 at 11:28pm

Thumbs Up

Wait-...  airtank?

Yes sir. This Jeep will have on board air. With it's planned trip to the Banks, I'll want it. My goal is to use a York compressor driven by the motor. I used to have a similar set up and it was pretty handy. I'll have air chucks on the front and rear bumpers. 

On the big Jeep the roll cage is the air tank for the OBA system. All the cage joints are drilled to allow air to flow. It was an epic pain in the a** to get all those joints air tight. I won't do that again! 

I make it a point to only wheel with at least one jeep with air so I can blow the mud out of my radiator Wink (as much as I chirp about stock this and stock that, Nate's air line was a trip saver that day, lol)

Edited by mbullism - 23 Feb. 2020 at 11:30pm
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2020 at 10:53am
Well I'm feeling pretty good about the chassis. All the major work is done. I had to patch a few thin spots I discovered while doing other work. Where the rear bump stops bolted to the frame originally was pretty thin. So I just cut that all out. 

I added the rear crossmember. I'm toying with the idea of bending up my own fuel tank. We'll see how ambitious I get. 

And finally I swung the axles back under the chassis. The rear axle needed some serious clean up. Also the spring perches were wrong. So I knocked those off so I can reset the pinion angle. 

It was a productive weekend! 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2020 at 12:36am
Very nice.
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2020 at 9:43am
Because....winches.....

I've waited for years to find a reasonably priced 8274. Anyone who's shopped for these know they are fetching unreasonable money. Hence, I've never owned one. Well, in one day - I acquired TWO! One I will refurbish. The one with the mount works perfectly. Other than a general clean up, it's going on as is! 

This is exactly what I hoped to find for this project! Life is good! 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2020 at 10:09am
I love the 8274. I have a brandy new one out in the barn. The last one I had, I rebuilt. One of the easiest rebuilds to do. Great winches. Fast when you need them and geared down on the pull.
This was after the rebuild.

Edited by masscj2a - 10 Mar. 2020 at 10:12am
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2020 at 11:46am

Because....winches.....

Life is good!

Congrats on the find(s) Thumbs Up... but I'm worried there are too many "good" things happening lately.

I don't like it, lol...not one bit LOL
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2020 at 1:06pm
Got cracking on building a proper rear bumper. I matched the end design to the front - just wider. I also narrowed the rear most crossmember about 6 inches.

The crosssmember and bumper are cross drilled so they can serve in tandem as an air tank. I think the post that will eventually be the spare tire carrier will be where I make the air outlets. 

With a little luck, I may get the winch mounted and the tire carrier mocked up today. Then I can think about dropping the drive train back in for further mock up.

Also wrapped up some frame bracing for the rear springs. This is something I've done on all my open C chassis. Maybe overkill. But it looks kinda cool! LOL

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 52>